Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Oly OM-1n, first roll after CLA
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Oly OM-1n, first roll after CLA Reply with quote

I hesitate posting these after Skida's entry, but here goes. The first
four are using the Zuiko 2.8/28, the last is using the 2/85 that I got
from Norway:

Fuji Xtra 400>320, CVS processing/scans
using in-camera meter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good results..I'd like to try more Zuiko lenses (other than my 50s) but I can never pick them up very cheap so I have an OM10 and OM20 taking up shelf space Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!

I used to shoot with Oly gear too. me likes! http://tesselator.gpmod.com/Images/_Equipment_n_Tutorials/2004-03-05_04-07-01.JPG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excal, thanks, the lenses aren't that bad if you shop around. The 2/85 ran me $145 with the shipping from
Norway, but is the SC not MC like dearest Jussi's. Smile Still, I think I was lucky to get it at that price.

Tesselator, Woo-Hoo! I guess you were an Oly OM addict, nice gear! Cool Thanks!

I found a dark brown half case for my OM-1n, pictured with the 2/85:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are lovely results. Well put together and the film is impressive too - hardly any grain apparent, even on the interior shots with less light.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots, can you tell me what the memorial is for, ww2 or korea?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Zuiko goodness... Congratulations Bill! Don't worry about the coating - the black body more than makes up for it

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 28/2.8 is very, very good in BW ...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very handsome and small, gear with excellent IQ!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, folks, for your comments, I think the camera works great after
the CLA.

The last picture is a fallen officer memorial, I was at the police station to pick
up a copy of the case file (first time I've been there, living here almost 10 years).

Jussi, the all-black body makes up for it? You're not just saying that... Laughing

All the lenses I have seem to be good performers: 2.8/28, 1.8/50, 4/75-150, 2/85.
I guess the 2/35 and the macro would be the next ones to look for, some day the 18mm
wide.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Thanks, folks, for your comments, I think the camera works great after
the CLA.

The last picture is a fallen officer memorial, I was at the police station to pick
up a copy of the case file (first time I've been there, living here almost 10 years).

Jussi, the all-black body makes up for it? You're not just saying that... Laughing

All the lenses I have seem to be good performers: 2.8/28, 1.8/50, 4/75-150, 2/85.
I guess the 2/35 and the macro would be the next ones to look for, some day the 18mm
wide.

Thanks again.

You can try to find bad OM lens , but you will fail Wink I did try much as I can all have excellent level. They are not sh* maker like Canon where is budget level and premium level visible.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, no contest! Laughing Excellent build quality, compactness, and sharp optics, winning combo!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, I guess I'll be the negative nanny here then.

Many Zuikos have a very nice IQ. A few, not so much. Embarassed

I find the build quality of OM glass to be lower-mid to mid-range compared to "good ones" from the same decade or so. Until you hit the long OM primes I'm not that impressed with their BQ.

Maybe I'm too strict? Confused

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tesselator, have you met Poilu? You guys will get along great. Wink I think your views place you
firmly in the minority, and may the god Maitani cast a bolt of lightning upon your head. j/k Smile I have
no issues with the build quality of the lenses I have, or their IQ, but of course every one is entitlted
to their opinion, as long as they're not talking about Zuiko. j/k, again Wink Smile

Thanks for your comments. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I know I'm in the minority from saying this on other sites as well. Smile

But I feel justified because I'm in the same minority with the number of lenses I own (over 300 + about 150 I have sold).

And the number I've opened up (about 40).

Many OM lenses under 150mm use press fitting and glue instead of threaded rings to position elements.
Many OM lenses under 150mm use plastic parts internally.
Most OM lenses under 300mm have a very dry low-precision noisy aperture ring.
OM lenses are the most prone to clouding due to doublet/triplet separation I've ever seen.
OM lenses are very prone to gathering internal dust.
The grease Olympus used on the helicoid in the OM line is more prone to drying out than most other manufactures.
Most OM lenses suffer from low contrast soft haloing and CA wide open and need to be stopped down 1/2 to 1 click stop to clean up.

Olympus themselves marketed the entire OM line as a "budget" economical system (similar to Nikkor E line) but with advanced body features and high ingenuity. That was their stated theme.

Now who is this Poilu fellow? Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tesselator, thanks for this (dismaying) info on Zuiko lenses, I still like mine, though. Laughing

Poilu is one of our mods who is French but lives in Greece, and is an excellent photographer that
uses mostly Zeiss T* lenses, if not mistaken. Rolf is another mod that uses high resolution equipment
but is fitting for both of them not to be held back by lesser gear. Of course both are in my book of envy,
but that's just the way it is. Laughing Reminds me I need to make another entry, could I have the correct
spelling of your name? Laughing Wink

All in good fun, Tesselator. I tried dismounting a fence behind my place today, caught my pant leg on something
and impaled my right wrist on a metal bar protruding from the top of the fence. 4.5 hours at the ER and 10
sutures later plus my first Lortab, and I'm good as new. Sheesh. Embarassed I'm thinking I should start reading my
daily horoscope. lol Wink

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tesselator wrote:
Yeah I know I'm in the minority from saying this on other sites as well. Smile

But I feel justified because I'm in the same minority with the number of lenses I own (over 300 + about 150 I have sold).

And the number I've opened up (about 40).

Many OM lenses under 150mm use press fitting and glue instead of threaded rings to position elements.
Many OM lenses under 150mm use plastic parts internally.
Most OM lenses under 300mm have a very dry low-precision noisy aperture ring.
OM lenses are the most prone to clouding due to doublet/triplet separation I've ever seen.
OM lenses are very prone to gathering internal dust.
The grease Olympus used on the helicoid in the OM line is more prone to drying out than most other manufactures.
Most OM lenses suffer from low contrast soft haloing and CA wide open and need to be stopped down 1/2 to 1 click stop to clean up.

Olympus themselves marketed the entire OM line as a "budget" economical system (similar to Nikkor E line) but with advanced body features and high ingenuity. That was their stated theme.

Now who is this Poilu fellow? Very Happy

erm reminds me of Monty Python's "what did the Romans ever do for us" Wink

So other than your above comments you would recommend OM glass. Wink

AAMOI what do you think of Canon FD and FDn lenses?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I would still recommend OM lenses! Well, most of them! They're very compact, very sharp (after that 1st stop I mentioned) and available for about 1/2 to 1/5 of what other lenses of the same optical quality, go for. There's a few OM macros which are priced too high and aren't any better than other brands - so they don't get my mention. But there's a few very expensive specialized OM lenses which are very noticeably better than the competition - they get my mention! I even actively seek them out. Smile

So, absolutely! I clap when I see someone getting a nice OM system or lens! But I don't want to mislead anyone either. OM probably has the best price|performance ratio of any other system lens line-up with so many of them being under the $100 mark. Just know what to actually expect. To know them is to enjoy them all the more. For example with just my general list of remarks one would know to always check for clouds and dust before a purchase, double check for helicoid smoothness, store the lenses in a dust-free environment, not buy them with the assumption that they will be easy to open and clean (without checking the specific model first), knowing that shooting them "wide open" will mostly mean one-stop down, and etc.. Wink

One of my more recent purchases was an OM lens:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Which I got mostly for the unique Oly hood. And I've already shot with it too:

Digital Image: http://tesselator.gpmod.com/Images/_Image_By_Lens/Olympus_50mm-f1.4/_1040115_Olympus_50mm_f1.4.jpg
Digital Image: http://tesselator.gpmod.com/Images/_Image_By_Lens/Olympus_50mm-f1.4/_1040143_Olympus_50mm_f1.4.jpg
Digital Image: http://tesselator.gpmod.com/Images/_Image_By_Lens/Olympus_50mm-f1.4/_1040154_Olympus_50mm_f1.4.jpg

Excalibur wrote:

AAMOI what do you think of Canon FD and FDn lenses?

FL, FD, and New FD lenses are a very mixed bag - so it's extremely difficult to make generalized comments like I did for OM. OM, like some of the Zeiss lines, share a set of common properties so it's easy to make sweeping remarks.

Some FL/FD/FDn lenses are awesome, and some suck nuggets. I generally enjoy Canon's fluorite and L lenses! The 300/2.8L and the 85/1.2L are two of my favorite lenses for example! Most of the FL lenses are very well made. Some of the early FD models too. FDn is pretty case-by-case on build quality tho. And so on and so forth... Smile

BTW, what does AAMOI stand for?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, it's always interesting to hear members views on lenses and AAMOI= As a matter of interest..it's handy to slip in when deviating from the main topic of the thread Wink