Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Old vs Recent Optical technology
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great comment.. I just hate feeling an "alchemist" (too old fashion)

btw I found here something as a "definition"
Quote:
Well there is a good reason why I own some zoom lenses. After a year or two of being totally focused on the sharpness that the great Minolta prime lenses achieve I realised that for some purposes the convenience of a zoom outweighed the additional sharpness that a prime delivered. For example, when shooting family snapshots that will never be enlarged larger than 6 x 4 there is less reason to choose a prime. Also, when travelling and restricted in what you can carry, a good zoom might enable you to get photos you otherwise would miss. OK, so that understood, which zoom lens out of the many available do you select?

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/60-120mm.htm

and to be honest I want to print larger than this.. A4 or even A3.. Is it a zoom lens that bad?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One big thing that changed a lot during the past 30-40 years: The quality of MC, multi-layer coatings is much better nowadays,
but for instance, i prefer the more organic rendering, or "character" of some specific lens from the old days, instead of technical-cool,
always tack-sharp rendering from current lenses....

The Zeiss 16-70/4 E-Mount - i was a long time even before the release hardly awaiting it, but then i've read that the center IQ is impressive,
but the borders are not that great....onto many reviews out on the web, then finally some couple days ago, that SEL-1670Z was badly tested
onto photozone, for example even the SAL-1855 (Sony A-Mount) scored much higher...and so i won't ever buy it, the lens is simply nothing
good or great especially for landscape photography, but it could be good for portraits..besides that, the distortion with that specific lens is really a mess....and the borders of the SEL-1670Z are even not great at F/5.6 or F8.

i was already horrified by the SEL-1855 Kitlens (Alpha 3000, black lens, "made in thailand"), but that SEL-1855 is besides that truly better than the older SEL-1855 that shipped with the NEX-7....

And i do trust photozone way much for ages, because for instance from the Tamron 17-50/2.8 (AF, not MF, but without AF Motor
built-into and without VC) scored way high onto photozone, and it is indeed a very good lens (Photozone deleted the test of the A16N
(w/o AF Motor) from their website, the data was even better than the VC-less Version onto their website) i do use it onto my Nikon
D7000 Body. All MF primes & zooms are being used & tested onto my Sony NEX-5, Alpha 3000 with Lens Turbo II, or native onto
the Sony A7 Body.

Just my 2 cents...
marc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great answers. I have spent two days shooting with my tamron zoom lens...
I will try to post "soon" my results but to be honest I am not sure how to assess quality.. Quality is always about comparison.. how I can compare it with the different lenses... Too bad I can not find my zoom lens to have a respectable number of reviews that would save my really limited time
Alex

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't address the Tokina lens as I have never used it. I can talk to the Sony 55-210. The Sony is an entry level or kit zoom. It only works well with a lot of light, outdoors on a sunny day is best, and sharpness falls off at the extreme zoom end. Better to keep it down to 180mm which fills your requirements if you are shooting outdoors.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I would be using it in studio for portraits that need over 130mm... and regarding the lot of light perhaps I can find that in studio.. the problem though that the way I understand this .. A lens is not about how fast it is but most important how sharp it is according the different zoom ranges and aperture choices.

Alex

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every lens basically should be sharp at F8 for instance, it doesn't matter if it's a APS-C/DX or Full-Frame lens.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first attempt to compare my lens with more recent ones can be found here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/my-first-attempt-to-rate-a-lens-tokina-60-120-2-8-t70811.html