Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Old Canon Zoom Lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject: Old Canon Zoom Lens Reply with quote

Hi
Im looking for Canon Lens experts who may be able to help with an old Canon zoom lens I picked up at a second hand shop. Its a Canon Canomatic Zoom R 55-135 1:3.5, serial no 10003.
I have searched the net but unable to find much about this lens. It still works but is not in the best condition. From what I have discovered so far is that may have been amongst the first zooms that Canon made? It was very expensive at the time it was made?
Hopefully someone will have some more information.

Thanks in advance Andrew.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://global.canon/en/c-museum/product/r92.html
Quote:
This is the first Canon zoom lens for 35mm SLR cameras. The optical system is constructed by 15 lens elements in 10 groups. Super Canomatic fully automatic diaphragm control mechanism is applied for aperture control. There are two aberration compensation systems for zoom lenses, an optical and a mechanical systems. This lens employs a mechanical system.

49,000 yen in 1964 are equivalent to 223,019.17 yen in 2019 = $2,034.38 USD
https://www.inflationtool.com/japanese-yen/1964-to-present-value?amount=49000

The Canon RM + R 50/1.8 was 49,500 yen.
https://global.canon/en/c-museum/product/film43.html

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is also quite a good lens.
Here are a couple of shots with mine.
T

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for the reply, looks like I have found an interesting old lens with a bit of history? It came with the original case & both caps, but sadly no lens hood. Dont think I will find one of those easily. The photo's look good, I will try it out after I clean some of the internal elements. Would I be right in saying this would be a fairly rare find?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adonuff wrote:
Thank you both for the reply, looks like I have found an interesting old lens with a bit of history? It came with the original case & both caps, but sadly no lens hood. Dont think I will find one of those easily. The photo's look good, I will try it out after I clean some of the internal elements. Would I be right in saying this would be a fairly rare find?

They are definitely not numerous, and their high initial price may have been a reason for that.
Having said that though, they are now very cheap to acquire - people being put off because of their size for what they are, as well as the restricted zoom range.
Even so, they are a wonderful lens and a very important part of the Canon optical heritage.
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 elements in 10 groups!? Anybody else think that's a lot of mated surfaces?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
15 elements in 10 groups!? Anybody else think that's a lot of mated surfaces?

That's about average for this class of lenses (constant apreture, 2-2.5x zoom)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another shot from this lens.
It is rather good
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too got a copy of this Canomatic R lens a couple of years ago. I haven’t used it much just tried it out a couple of times. I almost exclusively hand hold; IMO this lens needs to be used on a tripod.

The serial number on mine is 10590. I do not know what this might indicate. Canon introduced this zoom in 1963. It has been credited as Canon’s first zoom. And yes, it was very expensive. I was unable to find out the length the the manufacture or the number produced. In 1964, Canon introduced the Canon FL version. This might well have ended the run of Canomatic R versions.

Enjoy your uncommon find.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
It is rather good
Tom

Okay, that's not fog. It's looked like that around here too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
It is rather good
Tom

Okay, that's not fog. It's looked like that around here too.

Yes, we have had quite a few fires around us this year
Tom