Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Old brass rectilineal lens.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: Old brass rectilineal lens. Reply with quote

Hello:

I present to them the rectilineal lens for 4X5 " (10X12 cm). These lenses were the most perfect until the anastigmatics were designed: our darling Tessar appeared on the market in 1894.

The rectilineal lens were photographing the straight lines correctly, of here his name comes, but they had the shortcoming of the astigmatism.

I hope to be able to show photos taken with this lens.

Bests Regards: David

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lens David,
Are you planning to adapt it for a digital cam?.

Regards,

Jes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens looks quite intriguing. What kind of pictures do you think to make best with it?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, David.

Well done !!

Pics, pics, pics.

Rino.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello:

In Camerapedia I saw a device to adapt vintage lenses the DSLR, clearly by means of a bellows, since the focal lengths are very long and it is necessary to focus by means of the bellows in the majority of the cases. Now I do not find this device in this web.

I have always been interested in the vintage lenses of the XIXth century and want to verify that turned out they can give at present.

Best Regards: David

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the larger old lenses I usually use a T-mount for the bellows I am using, removing the inner ring. Many lenses will fit in the T-mount and can be secured using the T-mount setscrews.

For smaller lenses I use a plastic body cap for the mount, and drill a hole of the right size for the lens thread. You can usually force the thread to screw in securely in the plastic.

Here are one of each -

If neither will work, I have used conversion rings of the closest filter thread, with more conversion rings if necessary, and a reverse adapter.

Sometimes I have used an extension ring (the ones for macro), and just force the back of the lens into the ring wrapped in tape.

And sometimes even more different things -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the club! Let me participate with my Taylor Rapid Rectilinear lens, made by Taylor of Leicester (later well known as Taylor, Taylor & Hobson TTH), f8 / 7" focal length (exactly 6.94" as engraved), iris stops 8-64, leather front cap, with cardbox. Rear 1.5" (ca 38mm) screw mount (Leica enlarger thread mount adaptor fits loosely, but works fine, so no exotic adaptor needed). Cover should be 6 1/2 x 4 3/4" ("half plate") since this is also engraved (ca 165 x 120mm for us "metrics"). The Lens Vademecum mentions it for "portrait and landscape" work.

The lens:

Some results: