Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ok, Now That My Heart Rate Is Finally Falling...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:57 am    Post subject: Ok, Now That My Heart Rate Is Finally Falling... Reply with quote

Tell me if I did as good as I think I did?

Whoah, I'm literally sitting here still shaking. I wanted this kit SO bad and there was some fierce competition it seems. It had like 8 people bidding right up till the end and BTW, I won this auction by the skin of my teeth.

I won it by ONE dollar, exactly!

F-M! I'm definitely certifiably crazy! I just absolutely killed my whole food budget for about a month and probably more doing it. I'm glad I have some stuff in the freezer and tons of noodles because it's going to be a LEAN couple of months unless I can sell some of the other lenses I have to pay for it all.

I just had to go there though. From all I've read so far these are all just super lenses, far better than most of what I own so far, except maybe my 3 Takumars. The FRI has some professional features supposedly and is closer to what I'd need to get started with professionally even if it does mean me starting with film. As much as I love I just don't think my SPII is up to that and I don't want to overwork it trying. That camera is my baby and I want to keep that one for private use.

The FR1 is a poor man's Contax, and it supposedly fits the bill. Bonus, if it happens I do go Canon for my first DSLR these lenses can be used very well on most models with an adapter. So I have a full kit of supposedly excellent lenses for that. I still really do want a Pentax eventually too, but if these work with Canon, then Canon it is for DSLR #1. Trying to grab the more expensive lenses, that I'd need. That's going to be a tough thing for me on my budget and while I know they're not Zeiss, I think these are still huge step up for me in terms of quality and professionalism, no?

Anyway here's what I grabbed...

$104.50

(Ouch! Don't you guys dare laugh! That was a LOT of cash for me. You're talking to the $10-20 lens wonder here remember? I think I nearly barfed in my lap before I actually hit the bid button, seriously!)

Yashica FRI SLR
Tamron f:1:2.8/28mm lens
Tamron 55mm filter
Yashica ML 135mm 1:2.8 lens
2-Hoya 55m Skylight(1B) filters
Vivitar automatic tele-converter 2x-24
Sigma zoom-master 1:2.8-4 f=35-70mm MC
Hoya 52mm Skylight (1B) filter
Kiron 80-200mm f:4.5 macro 1:4 lens
Yashica ML 50mm 1:2 lens
3-Hoya filters, 55mm: +1, +2, +4,
Tiffen Polarizer 55mm,
Contax Real Time Winder W-3
Sun Blitz 100 flash unit
Hanimex XS 14 flash unit
Vivitar auto thyristor 3700 flash unit.

For the record this stuff looks to be in lovely condition so I have high hopes this camera will work.

What do you think? I think just maybe whoever had this kit knew what he/she was doing, kept the equipment well, and that it will make a great pro starter kit. Am I right? I hope so. Otherwise I'll be eating tuna casserole and rice and beans for a LONG time for nothing, laugh.

Anyone have any of these? I'd be interested in some opinions and pics. Thanks!

Oh SH-! I just read something interesting. Please TELL me my Tamron is likely an Adaptall! These are like the T-mount lenses aren't they? Adapters and they fit on more than one camera? If so that means I've got my Pentax wide angle too and it's a decent one? That would be just too cool if so!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news, Mag! The Yashica FR-1 was one of the later Yashicas. It takes lenses in the Contax/Yashica mount, and not M42. This means that the Tamron that is part of your kit is at least an Adaptall, and maybe even an Adaptall-2 (either way, they will interchange). So, yes, you'll be able to use it on your Pentax.

Really, it sounds to me like you did very well. Hopefully everything is in good shape. The FR-1 is a nice camera -- it has the same shutter as the Contax RTS. Plus you've come away with a pretty good haul of lenses, a winder and three flashes? Geez, that really was a pretty good deal for $104, I'm thinking. Spend a bit of time and see if you can find the individual items on eBay and see what they're selling for, then add all that up.

So, well, maybe you'll be eating tuna and rice for a while, but it'll have been worth it hopefully. BTDT, doing it right now in fact, after splurging on a couple of items earlier this month.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I read the more I think it was a real bargain. I'm betting the person that lost by a buck is pretty ticked at me just now. I kind of feel bad for them. A buck? That had to hurt. But all due sympathy aside I'm not giving up my haul. I'm reading the manual now and trying to figure out the lenses. I've found some pics taken of them and some taken by them. So far, not too bad at all!

Hmm, and how's that for timing. Someone finally wants to actually look at my black AE-1. I just now got an email so if she takes it that just might do the trick. I've only had it up on CL for a couple of months now. 50 people asking and not one actually looked let alone took it. All black, and by far the most reasonably priced of the ones on there but it didn't move at all. Probably a photography student. It's about that time of year, but it would be very nice if she did take it. It would pay for the Yashica kit quite nicely...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In cases like yours, I'd try to save some money first, then spend it. Cause those noodles won't be good for health, you need vitamins man.

But still it was a nice deal. I wouldn't say bargain, cause there's a lot of shi... I mean stuff you wont ever use Smile Like those flashes and most of the filters.
I sometimes miss nice deal, just cause I don't have enough, or the price went to high and it's not a bargain anymore... ebay is incredibly big, and the world too. You'll see some more nice stuff for a reasonable price, just be patient Wink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I eat lots of pasta & beans & rice & wild salmon! All organic of course. The pasta are whole wheat, and I include nutritious greens (some wild) and vegetables. Beans & rice are another favorite, again supplemented with greens & vegetables. The wild berries are ripe now too, also a wonderful source of vitamins and minerals. This diet and all the exercise I get romping this rugged landscape keep me lean and very mean (in a good way!), also incredibly healthy imho; I rarely get sick, in fact I can't remember the last time I was ill! (knock on wood) Oh, I must remember to include the good olive oil in the list -- high quality fats are very important, olive oil being among the best, for our brains are mostly fat. As one famous chef, now in his 80s and extremely energetic, says "Fish is brain food! If you don't know that, you need to eat more fish!" Oatmeal with raisins is also a huge favorite. With sea salt; bodies need salt with grains for optimal digestion.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
I eat lots of pasta & beans & rice & wild salmon! All organic of course. The pasta are whole wheat, and I include nutritious greens (some wild) and vegetables. Beans & rice are another favorite, again supplemented with greens & vegetables. The wild berries are ripe now too, also a wonderful source of vitamins and minerals. This diet and all the exercise I get romping this rugged landscape keep me lean and very mean (in a good way!), also incredibly healthy imho; I rarely get sick, in fact I can't remember the last time I was ill! (knock on wood) Oh, I must remember to include the good olive oil in the list -- high quality fats are very important, olive oil being among the best, for our brains are mostly fat. As one famous chef, now in his 80s and extremely energetic, says "Fish is brain food! If you don't know that, you need to eat more fish!" Oatmeal with raisins is also a huge favorite. With sea salt; bodies need salt with grains for optimal digestion.

And don't forget a big juicy cheesburger at least twice a week. Yum.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That *IS* a rather nice haul for the money. Those +1,+2,+3 'filters' are close-up diopter lenses. Those flashes will FRY a modern dSLR, but you can get cheap wireless triggers and use them off-camera.

You did well. Now, don't forget to eat avocados. A resident of Antigua Guatemala is known as el Panza Verde, green-belly, because of the level of avocado consumption. Chop up one (1) each avocado, tomato, scallion, jalapeño en escabeche (marinated). Add a dollop of fat-free sour creme, a dash of cumin powder, salt to taste. Mash well. Slather is atop almost anything. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avocado is actually not so good an idea. It is a rich source of Omega 6 (normally found in large quantities in most vegetable oils). Omega 6 has many bad health effects and is the main reason for the benefit of omega 3 as it competes with and reduces the effect of omega 6 (although Omega 3 has its own issues). For example most of the drugs for Bi-polar (manic depression) are to counter the effects of omega 6 on the brain. Also heart disease (the unstable ldl cholesterols that coat the artieries are made from polyunsaturated fats not saturated), breast cancer (it's immuno-suppressive) and depression. See Wikipedia article and especially note the comments on arachidonic acid, a product of eating omega 6. What is particularly interesting is that in the last 10 years it would seem that saturated animal fats have been vindicated: the real causes of problems for which they were blamed appear to be marge and vegetable oils. In nature, before industrialised farming, it was nearly impossible to eat as much as we do now: vegetable oils and marge are in almost everything.

I only eat butter now.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proper food growing and preparation is extremely important. Long established cultural traditions are typically the best way. For example, avocados are rarely eaten alone in cultural diet. Prepared with hot peppers and lime juice the negative effects of the fats are well mitigated, and very beneficial.

Animal fats can be very healthy, but unfortunately improper diets they are often raised on, plus fat-soluble antibiotics, growth hormones, and other drugs pumped into them and passed along in fats and tissues render them imbalanced, toxic, and lead to coronary, liver, kidney and other diseases. Free ranging wild grass fed beef and cows milk are entirely different foods than what is commonly available. Eggs too.

Best advice imho is to eat locally grown organic produce and animal products, such as those found at local farmer's markets. These are foods grown in the same environment as we live, have grown undergoing the same stresses in which we live, and are therefore most beneficial to our health in the same environment. There is an ancient saying that the medicines needed to treat diseases are always to be found growing nearby. Of course this principle and process is today too often undermined by environmental pollutants and unnatural unbalanced attempts at 'improvement'.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

Best advice imho is to eat locally grown organic produce and animal products, such as those found at local farmer's markets. These are foods grown in the same environment as we live, have grown undergoing the same stresses in which we live, and are therefore most beneficial to our health in the same environment.

This "advice" is of limited usefulness to folks who live in places like New York City, Tokyo, Mexico City, etc. Unless people are growing their food in rooftop gardens or something.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

Best advice imho is to eat locally grown organic produce and animal products, such as those found at local farmer's markets. These are foods grown in the same environment as we live, have grown undergoing the same stresses in which we live, and are therefore most beneficial to our health in the same environment.

This "advice" is of limited usefulness to folks who live in places like New York City, Tokyo, Mexico City, etc. Unless people are growing their food in rooftop gardens or something.

Oh I think you might be pleasantly surprised. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The camera needs a repair of the film counter which I'm told is par for the course with these and the light seals need to be replaced as they are just starting to goo out and vanish, but otherwise the FRI was in very nice condition. I could actually shoot with it probably but I'm thinking I'd like to get it cleaned and the counter fixed this Fall sometime. Lenses, all of them are in just lovely condition. Somebody did really care about this kit.

I did try them out a bit in so far as trying them on the camera and looking through the viewfinder goes and I'm very glad I went there. The 135MM looks almost as good as my 105MM Takumar, and is much better than my 135MM Rikenon. Wide angle, also nice, as is the 50MM.

I don't think I wasted a penny with this kit. I've got to sell off some of the first kit though if I want to get the the FRI looked at. I guess I'll sell the DSB's, and maybe the Soligor Wide Angle, one or two of the zooms. I just have to figure out which ones I want to keep. I'm leaning towards the Vivitar 75-300MM, but the Kiron 80-200MM looks good too so I'm kind of torn.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Light seals and mirror-bumper foam are typically easy to replace given one of John Goodman's light-seal kits

The Yashica lenses have good reputation here as being above average performers.

The zoom range on Vivitar 75-300 compared to Kiron 80-200 makes me think the Kiron will be better performer 70-200. f/4 is okay for speed; imo these older zooms had conservative designs/specifications where wide open performance is better than later faster zooms with same range, even when both lenses are stopped to same aperture setting. ymmv. Personal experience is these older zoom lenses perform very well given good lighting, without too much back-lighting -- some are uncoated or have few coatings, are moreprone to flare.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could probably do the light seals myself, no problem. Honestly I don't see the point in spending $10 plus half that again in shipping just to get some pre-cut foam and a slanted cut off bamboo pick. No offense to the guys who sell those kits, but they sell strip bubble foam at Home Depot for about $3 a pack and I have a pack of bamboo skewers in the kitchen drawer. I don't really need to send away for that. All I'd have to do is clean it off the camera, measure it and cut it to fit with an exacto knife. A little double stick tape or contact cement and "Et voila!" brand new light seals.

The film counter thing, that's something else entirely though. That would be something I'd like someone with far better hands than mine to handle. Even if I had the tiny screwdrivers, which I don't, I still wouldn't choose to go there. I'm not about to open the camera up and start messing with the innards. I'm really good at taking things apart but when it comes putting them back together I'm definitely mentally challenged. I always end up being one of those people who sits there and stares at all the parts then back again the pics I took or diagram realizing I've totally messed it up and wondering why I was ever stupid enough to ever think I could go there in the first place!

From all I've read it's just a case of a small plastic gear going bad. Apparently they cracked a lot. If it's replaced with a metal or rubber one the counter should work fine. I just don't want to be the one to go in there and do that.

I bought this one to spare my Pentax and because of the nice lenses. This camera is going to get a lot of use this next year. I'm doing a bit of an internship with a local photographer. I'm going to be shooting a lot for a few months with him. After that it's got to last me long enough to do a few simple portrait assignments and to get me a DSLR out of that. I figured with these lenses I'd try to get an old Canon before I started with this guy but I'm not having much luck raising the $$$ for that selling things so I think I'll just get this one teched and use it for a bit. It's not a Contax but with these lenses it's capable of some pro shooting it looks like if I treat it right.

I figure getting it cleaned etc first is probably a good idea as I'm likely to be using it quite a bit for a good while. This is a really sweet camera, in great shape otherwise. It just needs a good bit of TLC and it will serve me well for years to come I'm sure.

I've really fallen hard for this one actually. It's basically a lighter, smaller, heavy-duty black FX-2. Everything I really liked about the FX-2 is there plus it has a few more options that look handy, the winder capacity et all. Unlike the FX3 Super 2000 I had briefly it feels very solid. I know that one supposedly had a metal chassis under the all plastic, but it never quite felt like it to me.

This one just feels much more sturdy to me. It's all metal like the FX-2 but it's also small enough that it's much more easily handled. I really liked the FX-2 but using that one was actually hard sometimes because of the weight factor. Put a lens on it that thing and weighed to the point where my arms would get physically tired trying to hold it after just a few minutes. It was built like a tank, but hand holding to shoot would have been pretty hard unless you were pretty strong. It was definitely more of a tripod camera. This one I could run around for most of the day, no tripod if I had to, and likely I'd be just fine.

I'm rather amazed at how good this kit looks actually. There's hardly any dust and the camera looks darned near new except for a very minor bit of brassing.The lenses, ditto. The previous owner looked to be very picky about keeping his/her gear clean and I seriously doubt he/she ever took the filters off the lenses from the looks of them. The winder and diopter set both look brand new. It's like most of this kit has never been touched, even all the flashes that came with tested just fine. If it wasn't for the light seals being a bit gooey and the counter not working I'd really wonder if the previous owner ever used this kit at all. Probably they didn't much and that's a shame because someone sure went to a lot of trouble to put together a good one here, particularly in terms of the 135MM.

I'm seeing the compact version now and again, but this one is the first of the two versions and it looks nice and sharp to me. They're both a bit pricey when you do see them, and the DSB and YUS versions are far more common. The DSB/YUS lens is also a bit cheaper, but I've not heard much by way of good remarks when it comes to those. They seem to be a bit of a dud from all I've read thus far. This one I really don't think is. I'm looking forward to comparing it to my Takumar actually. I think it just might give the 105MM Takumar a run for it's money in terms of my portraiture.

Anyway I think I am probably repeating myself here at this point so that's it. Sorry if I am rambling. I'm a bit sleep deprived and I had a bit of rough day besides. Everyone I talked to today practically took my head off just because. It was like everyone I met was in a bad mood for some reason.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned earlier, according to my sources, the FR-1 has the Contax RTS's shutter and mirror assembly, which means to me that it's mostly a Contax under the skin. So that's a really big plus right there.

Yep, it has all the features of the FX-2, plus aperture-priority auto and exposure compensation. Two features you probably won't be using much in your studies.

And being able to take either the W3 and RTS winders is a nice plus too.

I bought one of Goodman's light seal kits for my Canon FTb, and to me it was money well spent. I probably could have scrounged up the foam pieces and you don't really need the bamboo pieces -- they're just for removing the old foam -- but the time and money spent on gasoline running around trying to find them wouldn't have been worth it to me in the long run, so I just bought Goodman's set. Glad I did too because it came with a complete set of very clear instructions, which made the process easy.