Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

OF-233 210mm/2.5 Soviet lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:34 am    Post subject: OF-233 210mm/2.5 Soviet lens Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I found this lens in Ukraina, and bought it for approx 25 euros. The seller just didn't know what was really inside. When I bought it, it was in his metal protection, that is fixed to AFA-BAF camera (used on TU-22 and TU-85 soviet planes).

That was a big peace of metal, but the lens inside was in great condition (only some rust on the back side of the lens). On the front is fixed a "filter" which is a "protection glass", with resistances in order to warm the glass and avoid condensation in flight.

In order to avoid any problem at airport control, I disasembled the metal peace (nothing broken, just unscrewed), and only took with me the lens (still 3,2kg). The metal peace waits for me in my other home there Smile .

So, here is the lens without metal around it :

Optical formula is not complex :

Prototype (by GOI) was created in 1948.

In order to adapt it, I found for few euros in ukraine a Telemar-17 with adapter to M42 (aluminium large cylinder). Diameter of the back side was not the same (OF-233 has small back part, but bigger front part), but I was sure it would help me.

Back in France, a friend helped me to adapt the lens on the M42 adapter. Result is raw, but I like it.

Here is how it look on my A7 with protection glass (sorry, old Iphone photo) :

The good thing is that it's fully reversible. The lens is simple screwed with 4 screws.

So, I went to Paris in order to do some test shots. But sadly, the weather was pretty poor, bad light. Still, here are some shots :

I hope more interesting photo will come soon Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it! Lens and pictures that is.
That's a big hunk of glass. You have to adopt a good shooting technique otherwise you'll break camera mount.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens looks like a superb performer, congrats.

Do you have to mount the beast on a tripod?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
I like it! Lens and pictures that is.
That's a big hunk of glass. You have to adopt a good shooting technique otherwise you'll break camera mount.

Shooting technic is quite simple. You old the lens, and only use the camera to aim Smile .

Quote:
Do you have to mount the beast on a tripod?

No, I used it handheld, because I like to suffer Razz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox..... superb flora shots,would love to mount this on my Hassy or Bronica.Great find,if you want to sell for profit would willingly offer 30 euro.he he LOL.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
BurstMox..... superb flora shots,would love to mount this on my Hassy or Bronica.Great find,if you want to sell for profit would willingly offer 30 euro.he he LOL.

Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK,alright 35 euros ?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Mon May 09, 2016 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A beast! You could do with a tripod mount on the adapter. Using it with a monopod would be easy.

I bet this little beauty cost the air force a fair bit when it was new. Congrats on your bargain and the adaptation.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Pierre.
Lovely colours and rendering, great DIY operation.
Smile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, as promised, here are more photo, done today with more pleasant weather. Was funny to walk with this lens. 3 people asked me more about this lens , many other just look at the lens with puzzled face Laughing .

Those 2 firsts are quite far from subject :

And some portraits Smile :

Btw, batch photo uploader (Drag and Drop upload) on forum doesn't work for me anymore Sad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice very nice, the separation is remarkable. You didn't use a hood to improve contrast?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but I pushed them a bit in CameraRaw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great potential !
Where is this location ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 first photos are near Eiffel Tower, on the Champs de Mars (on first photo, we can see the Ecole Militaire in background).
Other photos were made in Jardin du Luxembourg. I found there a public concert, good occasion to make some portraits.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little question if you don't mind.

What is the name of book from which you got the formula?

I'm asking because I've seen other pages from this book, listing truly amazing soviet lens, like Dinar-4(300/1.Cool, not even seen anywhere else.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's from the catalog of GOI prototyps, 1969. Tons of lens, most of them never been producted in serial

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Is it available online?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CuriousOne wrote:
Thanks!

Is it available online?

Yes. This http://sdrv.ms/1i4czGa will take you to a list of links to lens catalogs and such, including the 1963 GOI catalog.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Danfromm

http://www.lallement.com/pictures/files.htm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens can cover 4x5 , and this is where it shines ....Look forward to see more sample from you .

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have let it in France, so for the moment, I can't provide more samples.
I just can show you some portraits made with this lens : http://pierretizien-photos.blogspot.com/2014/03/izabela.html (photo 2, 3, and 9)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big glass, excellent results. Are you actively looking for these lenses, or just find them "lying on the street"? Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this one in odessa, a guy was selling this, he barely knew that it was a lens Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice portraits Pierre!