Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Notes on repairing: Weston Master III light meter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Notes on repairing: Weston Master III light meter Reply with quote

I got this light meter from eBay for only 0,99GBP plus shipping.

Click here to see on Ebay

The ad is clearly misleading, the glass lid was loose on arrival and the meter didn't work at all with the needle stuck. Anyway the seller sent me a note prior shipping it telling "This exposure meter is very old and is more like a collectable thing. Although its working I realy dont think you can use its readings as a relayable source for your camera settings. This si just to make sure youre not disappointed"
so I didn't expect too much from it anyway, and the price was fine.

I spent some time looking for information to break it apart, but I found only the User's manual and some notes on how to disassemble the Weston Master II, that should be similar. Even being different, those notes opened the way to repair it.

The meter is made all on metal, strong building.

The opening zone is on the bottom side, under a small plate fixed by two supposed rivets. They are just screws with no groove? on the screw head. (I don't know the english word for this).

To remove them, small pliers and a lot of care:

Do not touch the center screw, it's only for adjustment and has nothing to do with the disassembly process.

Under the metal lid there are two more screws, sealed under wax. It's necessary to remove it to get to the screw head.

Once these screws out, the back cover goes out under pressure, from the bottom up (some retainers in the top side). Below they appear the remaining screws. Be careful with the two springs that handle the scale change.

The last screw on top, again under wax seal:

Once the screws removed everything is handy. The meter cover goes out easily. Be careful with the meter needle.

At this point I was too concentrated in fixing it that I forgot to take more pictures, but essentially was a general cleanup, specially on the glass area, cementing again the glass on it's base, disassembling the selenium cell and cleaning the contact area with a dry Scotch Brite (quite abrasive). From then on, the needle was responsive to the light changes, so I finally could build it all again in reverse order.

Now I have to rebuild the leather case. But that is a different story.

Regards,

Jes.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jes, superb information, thankyou so much Very Happy

I have this exact meter which works perfectly, but the day will come when it does not. Having these instructions will help when the time comes Cool

Congrats on your superb budget meter. I love it when people can resurrect old gear that would have been stuck in the trash Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamNR17 wrote:
Jes, superb information, thankyou so much Very Happy

I have this exact meter which works perfectly, but the day will come when it does not. Having these instructions will help when the time comes Cool

Congrats on your superb budget meter. I love it when people can resurrect old gear that would have been stuck in the trash Very Happy

Thanks, Graham!

If the day arrives, feel free to ask about the internals I didn't put into pictures. Disassembling the Selenium cell is easy but tricky. Reassembling the scale-shift mechanism as well. It's quite obvious but it took me a while to figure out how the springs are located and some other small details.

Regards,

Jes.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Jes!!

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Many thanks Jes!!

You're welcome, Attila!

Jes.