Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon MF lens to minolta A-mount camera advice
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Nikon MF lens to minolta A-mount camera advice Reply with quote

Hi guys

Does anyone know if an adaptor from nikon mf lens to minolta A-mount AF exists? and if so where to get them?

If it does not exist then perhaps it would be possible to make one?

I have been offered a 300mm nikon lens and would like to get it, I have managed to convert a nikon MF lens to minolta AF mount before but had to modify the lens a lot to get it to fit and retain infinity focus. That was with a broken lens so i did not mind destroying it in the process, but with the 300 i would prefere it remained intact. And it was quite a bit of work.

If anyone knows what the respective registers are of the two mounts then it would also be usefull, if there is the room then and knowing the distance perhaps it would be possible for me to make an adaptor that fits. Unfortunatly i cant measure the registers my self as my only nikon lens has been modified.

Any and all advice greatly apreciated.

thanks

tim

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never seen this kind of adapter (true never interest in Minolta AF...)

This guy able to make almost any professional adapter.
http://stores.ebay.it/COMA-Costruzioni-Ottiche-Meccaniche

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Attila, that is very interesting.

He actually does have an adaptor that will do it with a lens in the adaptor. I seem to remember that the nikon lens was about 2mm free of the

minolta body when i first matched them up, so i am supprised that glass is needed, which will probably also reduce the IQ.

Unfortunatly if that is the way they did it then it is probably the only way it will work?

I would prefere to do it without extra glass if possible.

Cheers

tim

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register distance is 3mm more for Nkon, but you have also to be abble to fit the Nikon lens bayonet into the Minlta one as it is more than 3mm protruding I guess, then that is probably not possible.

So a lens is necessary to keep infinity focus.

EOS bodies have a very big diameter mout ring, so other bayonet could fit into it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never take any adapter with additional glasses, 100% it will degrade image quality as well.For a 300mm lens doesn't necessary to support infinity if you can take shoot only in infinity distance that will be a "tourist photo". I never capture with long tele lenses any photos in infinity distance.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikon MF lens to minolta A-mount camera advice Reply with quote

tpe wrote:
If anyone knows what the respective registers are of the two mounts then it would also be usefull, if there is the room then and knowing the distance perhaps it would be possible for me to make an adaptor that fits. Unfortunatly i cant measure the registers my self as my only nikon lens has been modified.

Hi Tim, this table should help:
:
Nikon register distance is 46.5mm and Minolta AF 44.5mm so there's 2mm to spare for the adapter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is quite a lot 2mm..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
That is quite a lot 2mm..

Yes it is, but it means the lugs on the Nikon mount have to go inside the gaps in the Minolta mount, and that might need some machining. I haven't got any information on that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that is excelent information, and just saved to the HDD. Thanks very much.

2mm is a lot, but to get the last one to fit was a bit of a bodge, but the bit of the nikkor lens that sticks out with the bayonette on it was turned down on a lathe untill its walls were only about 0.5mm thick. then the inside diamiter of one of the cheap m42 adaptors was turned out untill it was a tight fit, then the two were brazed together. then a futher bit was milled out to accomodate the apperture lever from the camera body. Then the barrel housing length was altered to retain infinity and the barrel turned so as it engaged on the next helicoil. I wish i could post a picture but my dSLR isstill being repaired. It was a bunch of work and not very pretty but still functional on a film minolta AF.

If there is only two mm then there is definatly not enough room for the lugs on the nikkon lens to stay. Nor is there room in the adaptor to accomodate the lugs from the lens without reducing the wall thickness so much that it would probably break. So i guess there is no way of doing it with keeping the lens entirely intakt.

Perhaps it is possible to remove the mount of the lens. Perhaps it is worth buying another broken lens and using the mount from that for modification so as the 300 could be reconstructed if it needed to be remounted on a nikon. I wonder what would happen if the mount from an af lens was used and modified to fit the MF 300? possibly a cheap AF confirm?

tim

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tpe wrote:
I wish i could post a picture

No need - I followed your brilliant description Smile Sounds like a lot of work.

I know Nikon lenses have a good reputation, but as I've (up till a year ago) always owned M42 or Pentax K mount cameras, I could never use them. There is definitely an adapter for Nikon lenses on Canon EOS cameras (2.5mm difference) so its a pity there isn't an easy way to use them on a Minolta.

My advice: forget the Nikon lens and get a Tamron SP300 or SP60-300 zoom with an M42 Adaptall-2 mount, and use with an M42/Minolta adapter.