Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon F Photomic T
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Nikon F Photomic T Reply with quote

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like how the whole bottom comes off, like a rangefinder. I never knew that about the F. pretty cool. although that light meter looks goofy from a side view.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very pretty, compared to my F, but I like that mine has the simple prism
VF, so no need for batteries of any kind. Built like a tank, isn't it.

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do odd jobs around the house with this camera! I am still looking for a decent F with plain prism (at a reasonable price).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tell you what though, it exudes 'professional' and looks damn rugged. it just gives the feeling of a precision tool. if I wasn't so enamored with Pentax and actually had some nikon lenses to use with it I wouldn't mind owning one of these.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent far too much time as a teenager staring at these in used camera stores in Manila. I'm spending far too much time staring at yours, come to think of it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael,
Am I missing something?
You've posted a series of photographs of a Nikon F with a Photomic T finder, that looks just like all the other Nikon F's with Photomic T finders. Other than the fact that it is yours, and has a unique serial number, is there something rare or unusual about this camera that explains why you've shown it here? (Yes, I know this is the Show Your Gear Forum, but I don't understand the concept.)
I also shoot with old Nikons: S3 rangefinders, f, F2 and FA, but have never bothered to take photos of them and post them on the internet mainly because first, I assume mine look pretty much the same as everyone else's, so those who care have probably already seen one, and second, because collecting equipment is the easiest part of photography. All it takes is money, so I don't consider it to be significant or wonderful to own this or that piece of gear. Personally, I'd much rather see the results of what you did with them as opposed to the cameras themselves.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do this ?

1. This is a bit like a store window, or a glass case, where us pathetic types can stare wistfully, or enviously as the case may be.

2. A LOT of people have no idea what a Nikon Photomic is, have never seen one, and have no idea how cool this old stuff is. We old farts who have been around this stuff for the last forty-fifty years, we do know, but we have a constant stream of people in their 20's and 30's -or younger - who have no idea.

3. Its really very pretty, a work of art in itself. Fine, it was made in a factory, and not by any of us, and not by an "artist". But its art anyway, and this is like a gallery exhibition.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen lots of Photomoics, mostly staring wistfully at them in stores like luis alegra. Confused

But, I LOVE seeing the equipment showcased here on this appropriate Equipment Gallery section!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbsinto wrote:
Michael,
Am I missing something?
You've posted a series of photographs of a Nikon F with a Photomic T finder, that looks just like all the other Nikon F's with Photomic T finders. Other than the fact that it is yours, and has a unique serial number, is there something rare or unusual about this camera that explains why you've shown it here? (Yes, I know this is the Show Your Gear Forum, but I don't understand the concept.)
I also shoot with old Nikons: S3 rangefinders, f, F2 and FA, but have never bothered to take photos of them and post them on the internet mainly because first, I assume mine look pretty much the same as everyone else's, so those who care have probably already seen one, and second, because collecting equipment is the easiest part of photography. All it takes is money, so I don't consider it to be significant or wonderful to own this or that piece of gear. Personally, I'd much rather see the results of what you did with them as opposed to the cameras themselves.

With many here it is all about collecting this equipment not taking photos, except a few test shots of the cat or dog.

‘I have 4 of these and have not shot a single one, yet!
I bought them as collectibles,’

Each to their own and it is certainly a better hobby than some. But I do agree it would be nice to see good creative photos posted. IMO it is a shame to see such good tools unused.
Maybe the Equipment Gallery should only be for equipment that has been used by the owner and some of their work (With the piece) shown, or else just post a pic of your display cab!

Last edited by Rob Leslie on Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbsinto wrote:
Michael,
Am I missing something?

Evidently.

rbsinto wrote:
You've posted a series of photographs of a Nikon F with a Photomic T finder, that looks just like all the other Nikon F's with Photomic T finders.

It would be surprising if it looked like, say, a Canon 40D, wouldn't it.

rbsinto wrote:
Other than the fact that it is yours, and has a unique serial number, is there something rare or unusual about this camera that explains why you've shown it here?

Because its the Equipment Gallery where, you know, people show photos of their equipment. It doesn't have to be rare (although an original F is not exactly common nowadays) or unusual, or 'significant' or 'wonderful' or any other constraints that you seem to imagine are required to post here.

rbsinto wrote:
(Yes, I know this is the Show Your Gear Forum, but I don't understand the concept.)

I'm glad you recognise the problem, at least.

rbsinto wrote:
I also shoot with old Nikons: S3 rangefinders, f, F2 and FA, but have never bothered to take photos of them and post them on the internet mainly because first, I assume mine look pretty much the same as everyone else's,

Ever consider that 'everyone else' doesn't necessarily have the same cameras you do?

rbsinto wrote:
so those who care have probably already seen one, and second, because collecting equipment is the easiest part of photography. All it takes is money, so I don't consider it to be significant or wonderful to own this or that piece of gear. Personally, I'd much rather see the results of what you did with them as opposed to the cameras themselves.

That would be a fair comment - if this was the only section of mf lenses. Since there are other sections for posting 'the results' as you put it (Gallery, for example) then your point is wide of the mark.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael, thanks for these. I for one enjoyed seeing them. Yes, I have seen photos of this camera before (eg in Stafford's book) but these are nice, clear images that show the camera well from a variety of viewpoints.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep going your good work Michael! I ask other members too to publish their equipment here. This is a great on-line photo shop.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do I do it?

1. The photos are all taken as records for my insurance company. They are not outstanding quality, but the best I can manage with my little tabletop studio (and my still growing skills).

2. If you do a search on the Internet for a particular camera, perhaps in time they will point to this great website.

3. I hoped to 'convince' others to do the same, I would like to see other cameras.

4. Of course part is ego, I want to show off. None of the cameras I own are museum quality, they are all users.

When I first bought some of these cameras, I bought them as collectibles only. Now (largely because of this Forum) I intend to at least test EVERY camera and lens I own. I have some that are not functional and I am going to try and repair them (after a bit more research). Still have lots more equipment to show. Don't get tired of taking photos, but the processing gets a bit tedious.

As with every post on this forum, it is not for everyone.