Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon D610 1st shots.....
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:16 am    Post subject: Nikon D610 1st shots..... Reply with quote

....actually, first shots ever taken with a Nikon dSLR....very impressive @ ISO 2500 JPEGS
...Nikon default settings...so SOOB...taken at BBuy with MF Vivitar Series1 28-90/2.8-3.5
on the end of the D610
...guess that's gonna be MY best buy this month...whoo....oooot!
full frame and crops...

This is a "50%" crop...a 100% crop reduced in size by 1/2 to fit here....cropping any closer has no appeal to me...I'm not a pixel peeper.

VERY impressed....even at ISO 2500 the full 35mm size sensor is a great canvas....
The focus confirmation LED works well, unobtrusively, when you get used to it...
The lens is pretty good too, eh....
(I hope this larger size pix are okay...)

Last edited by mfkita on Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:50 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! I also have fallen for Nikon DSLRs recently.
(From Canon EOS and Sony NEX to Nikon and Fuji X, that was my way. Wink)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Nikon gets the congrats....!

As I said, these shots were taken at ISO 2500 and the high IQ for the SOOB default JPEGS are stunning...I could have made much larger images and they would look as good...and I've read that results like this stand up to 3200 and higher yet with RAW/NEF images and processing...

I will be selling off all my Canon gear...and end all the duplication of lenses lying around here...not to mention that selling them will pay for the Nikon...not a small consideration...though @ $1500, the D610 (refurbished body + 3 year MackCam extended warranty + 1 more year extra through my credit card) is very good deal...especially considering that over the years I've gathered more Canon lenses than I've used, nearly always choosing the Nikon glass, the MF focusing glass, FIRST, and primes over zooms...

I do have a few zooms, two MF Vivitar Series1, 70-210 and 28-90, AND I dare say (literally dare, HERE) an AUTO-focus 28-85 Nikkor that is as good as the Vivitar twin that will get their time on the 610....

The shots here and other "test" shots taken with the Vivi 28-90 prove I need no prime in that FL range, though I do have 50/55/60/85 Nikkors (including a 55/3.5 AF I may let go since the 60/2.8 micro is so good, and since I wouldn't use AF in macro mode anyway)...

The only FL I may need to look for is a 24, or wider FL....but 28mm, a REAL 28mm, will cover MOST of my wide shooting...if I find something wider fine, if not, I can wait, just as I did for what I already have...and as this is a lens forum after all, my most recent find was last month just as I decided to"go Nikon", the 28-85 AF Nikkor (I know, I know)...along with a very nice SB20 flash that I got to work after some scrub-brushing the battery contacts, and the 8008 body they came attached to, was $35....so even if it's duplicating the Vivitar range, it's nice to have the AF for a back-up...and if I ever get lazy....or my eyes begin to fail...

...because what I will really need is focusing practice...The LED confirm dot DOES work, but I generally don't/can't rely on it for moving subjects. The only thing I have going for me is that at such high ISOs I can shoot at smaller-than-wide-open-apertures and still be viewing and focusing WIDE OPEN...that should help...IIRC, these shots were taken @ F4 (EXIF only shows the widest, and I think I had it set for 3.5 for the AF Nikkor)...so THAT gives me some hope....

I can say that hope is a good thing...and the 610 seems to give me a lot of hope....

I'll be looking forward to posting some more shots next month then my Nikon ship comes in....fingers crossed everyone...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super quality shots. Re the kit lens. Whats wrong with a kit lens? They are a more modern, precise design than most old lenses and often (relatively) cheaper.

Of course with a Nikon DSLR you are seriously limiting what MF lenses you can use on it. I discovered that.

But congrats on your bargain, I think you are going to love it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Super quality shots. Re the kit lens. Whats wrong with a kit lens? They are a more modern, precise design than most old lenses and often (relatively) cheaper.

Of course with a Nikon DSLR you are seriously limiting what MF lenses you can use on it. I discovered that.

But congrats on your bargain, I think you are going to love it.

Thanks for the compliment...as I said, I think it should go to the camera and not to me...

About the kit...the 24-85 would be nice but @ $300 with the body it's no bargain....it can be bought by itself on Ebay for less...

It would be nice to have 24 vs 28 as the wider angle FL, but I'm going to see what I'm going to get out of the two 28-85/90 zooms one MF, one AF, and then decide if I need something else...The Vivi shots here suggest I won't need more...we'll see...

About other MF lenses....see my sig below...ALL the MF lenses (other than the 24/2.8 Zuiko) from 50 to 300mm are NIKON AI mount, fully compatible with the D610....I can't think of any other FL I gotta have...just yet...actually, there is one I'm considering...a $40 lightweight zoom that worked well in the Canon mount on my Canon dSLRs...it may be a nice walk-about tele....we'll see...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often read that cheap lenses suffer on FX sensors...but I still like to see what can be gotten from them......

It's nice that I can meter with them on the Nikon, and it's nice that the 610's LED confirm focus works well too...also nice that I can view/focus wide open while the aperture is set for a smaller aperture....

I just shot this with the really cheap manual focus Tamron Adaptall-2 70-210mm/F3.8-4....ISO 3200....@ F8.

The quality of the 610 sensor's IQ @ 3200 make it possible to use F8 with a nice fast shutter speed in cloudy situations getting the most out of such lenses...

This is full frame and 2 crops, center and corner...
These are not 100% crops because that isn't how I shoot..

However, these are 3200 pixels wide crops reduced to 1600 wide, crops I may have to resort to, and are posted here as examples of how well the 610 works with such a "low-rent" lens....Of course, the less cropping the better.

...I've had the 610 for only a week and I'm very impressed with how much I can get out of my lenses....most are Nikkor primes, but the Vivitar Series1 zooms I have and this Tamron are surprisingly good...

70FF by kitaflix, on Flickr

70C32u42 by kitaflix, on Flickr

70Cc32u42 by kitaflix, on Flickr