Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon D40 and non-ai lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Nikon D40 and non-ai lenses Reply with quote

Is anybody has experience here with Nikon D40 and non-ai lenses ?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not personally, but I know several people use them without problem. The D40 and D40x are the only Nikon DSLRs that can safely use them, but there's no metering.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great news, when I had a Nikon D50 I not missed metering at all. After a little practice period I could estimate the right settings pretty well and I rare made more than 2 two test shoots to catch proper settings. I hoped this camera have also proper focus confirmation than Nikon D50. I miss much focus confirmation on Olympus than I missed metering on D50.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, the D40 and the D40x are the only Nikon DLSR you can use almost all Nikkor (and compatible) lenses with.
But as already mentioned, you did not have any kind of metering, you have to use M-mode.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe they are great cameras and old Nikon lens are dirt cheap compare with newest ones and they are pretty common. To build a new camera system one of the most economical solution in my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can still get top quality glass relatively cheaply with used nikkors. Just choose carefully.

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a D40 and several pre-AI lenses. They work great. Cameras that meter for you are overrated. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too! I tend to use M mode anyway, so metering isn't that big of an issue for me!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm, I had D50 and I not missed much metering.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..and it gives you the chance to take shots in ultraviolet! D40 is one of the rare ones (aside the D70) being able to do that unmodified!!

Cheers,

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using my Nikon Series-E 50mm f/1.8 pancake lens with my Nikon D40.

I have a handheld meter, I set the camera to "M", I meter the cheek of my daughter, I put those numbers into the camera.

Now exposure is set so I can focus.

I aim at my daughter's nose, I hold the shutter button down half-way, and in the bottom left of the viewfinder a little green dot will light up once I have achieved focus.

Yes the D40 will do focus confirmation with manual focus lenses! At least with the Ais lenses I tested.

Isn't that funky?

If you have a hand held meter and are not afraid to look at the histogram then manual lenses on D40 is OK.

I used to have a Canon 10D with focus confirmation adapters (chipped adapters) and I liked the focus confirmation in that camera better, it was in the middle of the viewfinder.

I really like the Series-E lenses Smile Especially the 50/1.8 "pancake" (series-E 50mm f/1.8 with no silver band) and the 36-72mm f/3.5 Smile

I have the expensive AF-S lenses for the D40 and they do not have the constant 3.5 aperture like the Series-E lenses did !

That means the Nikon EM had better lenses than the D40, all things being equal.

I wish my 18-55 AF-S and 55-200 AF-S had constant apertures!

One thing I like about the D40 is I can view the images at 100% - a lot of cameras produce images that are blurry at 100% even under the best circumstances. It's a good camera especially when it's shot in RAW.

I have lots of sample pics in my Flickr, though my compositions are still not good LOL

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41681212@N02/

Happy shooting Smile
Craig

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atilla,
I moderate a group on Flickr that deals with MF lenses on Nikon DSLR's &, as has been said, almost all lenses ever made for Nikon by Nikon or 3rd parties will work on the D40 & D40x (other than not metering ) The old fisheye lenses that required mirror lockup are the only ones that can't be used..However, the D3000 & D5000 also are the same as the D40/40X in the fact that they can mount & use those same lenses...Here's a link to the Flickr group if you would like to check it out...
http://www.flickr.com/groups/365610@N21/