Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon "AF F3" 80mm and 200mm lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Nikon "AF F3" 80mm and 200mm lenses Reply with quote

Has anyone ever come across these old lenses? They were made for an early, autofocus version of the F3, which seems to have had an autofocus motor in a special finder (!) and used electronic contacts (but not the same ones that modern Nikon AF lenses use).

Details here

There were only two models made, an 80mm f/2.8 and a 200mm f/3.5. They have a manual-autofocus switch, have a manual focus ring and an aperture ring, and are manual focus lenses on all bodies except for Nikon F4 or Nikon F3 AF. The 80mm also has CRC.

Since the "add-on autofocus" system worked badly, there were not many of these made; and Nikon waited to get a better system before pressing ahead with autofocus lenses once more.

Anyone know anything more about these historical curiosities? As production was low I assume that these show up rarely, have 'collector' prices based on rarity, and the people who own them merely display them rather than actually using them. But, maybe I am wrong.

80mm is an unusual focal length for Nikon and the almost-symmetrical, 6-element optical design of the 80mm f/2.8 does not seem related to their various fast 85mm lenses.

Last edited by ChrisLilley on Thu May 14, 2009 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naturally Arsenal has one Laughing complete with the F3 AF camera to go with it.

Click here to see on Ebay.de

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the 80mm for a while and used it on my N2020 then sold it.

Many people don't know (or don't believe) that these F3AF lenses will also
auto-focus on the N2020 camera. That's the only camera other than the
F3AF which can do that to my knowledge.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same type of primitive AF system lens that came from Vivitar. There was a 200mm F3.5 & a 28-70 (I believe that was the FL & I'm not sure of the aperture)...They were made by Cosina & Komine for Vivitar. I have the Cosina made 200mm version & it's quite sharp (mine suffers from a frozen aperture though, I'll have to get it fixed). They have a built in motor & are very similar to the early Nikon offerings...

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has no automation any more - but works well as a manual lens. It's very sharp indeed
patrickh

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dof wrote:
I had the 80mm for a while and used it on my N2020 then sold it.

Many people don't know (or don't believe) that these F3AF lenses will also
auto-focus on the N2020 camera. That's the only camera other than the
F3AF which can do that to my knowledge.

That and the F4, according to the mir website.

Its not the (slow, not very good) autofocus as such which interests me.

Its that I saw the MTF figures for it (in a paid review, sorry, so I can't link to it) and was, frankly, astounded. Measured on D3 full frame, wide open, it has excellent sharpness in the far corners, the borders, one-third from centre, and centre. These all improve slightly as the lens is stopped down and then tail off again as diffraction kicks in.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This AF 80mm lens is VERY sharp, according to some articles I have read.
Nikon F4 also can handle AF for these two special lenses, also from the
magazine articles. These lenses are always available from NIKON House
in Tokyo, it is the NIKON only camera shop.