Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon 28mm f/2.8 AI-s
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Nikon 28mm f/2.8 AI-s Reply with quote

I obtained a copy recently. My reasons for purchase included Ken Rockwell's praise of its performance and its close focusing ability. I have yet to shoot any images with it but I have tried the effect of extensions on its close-focusing. The following is based on my by-eye measurements with a tape measure. The lens was without a hood.

On the A7R:

The lens with no extension, at its closest focus, has a working distance of 4"/100mm. The FOV is 150mm wide.

With 12mm ext FOV is 57mm
With 20mm ext FOV is 40mm
With 32mm ext FOV is 28mm, WD ca 30mm

I don't see myself making much use of this but, in the unlikely event that I am out with wide angle lenses and little or no macro gear, there might be a fix.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice lens indeed. And good for creative work because of the close focus.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens has a floating element in order to give a better quality according to the focusing distance .
As a consequence:
using extension tube for macro is not really a good idea if you want to take advantage of the lens qualities.
choosing a precise adapter for non Nikon cameras ( Fmount) is decisive. In your case, Nikon F to NEX adapter.

The WA and UWA with floating elements need a very precise adapter giving infinity when the lens shows infinity. I experience much difference in IQ with such lenses depending of the precision of the adapter.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:

choosing a precise adapter for non Nikon cameras ( Fmount) is decisive. In your case, Nikon F to NEX adapter.

I had an awful one but got a good one before I obtained the lens.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are images from April 2019, unprocessed until today (my standard processing). Nothing special about the images. Unusually, I failed to not the apertures but I'm guessing at f8.

I'm not sure how much this contributes but it may be of interest.

Nikon 28mm f2.8 AIS on EM1, hand held.

NB. I was unable to upload the first image at my usual quality (PS 12) and had to downgrade it to PS 10.

Last edited by e6filmuser on Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to judge the images to be honest, as they are downsized a lot.

I like this lens. I like it's ergonomics and close focusing ability. It's capable of sunstars as well and image quality is good.
BUT...IMO it's a bit overrated and too expensive, probably due to Rockwell's raving review. I've tested the lens against the SMC Pentax (k version) 28mm f/3.5 a couple of years ago, and the Pentax came out a bit better, both @ close focus (30cm) and infinity. Unfortunately I can't find the pcitures anymore, but the old post is here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/nikkor-28mm-f-2-8-ai-s-vs-pentax-k-28mm-f-3-5-t81623.html

If you don't need the speed, the Pentax is highly recommended.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re the cost. I was £199 but I had Nectar vouchers and paid only £86.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:
Re the cost. I was £199 but I had Nectar vouchers and paid only £86.

Yeah, that’s a very good price 👍

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got into a bit of a snit over 28mm lenses a couple of years ago- mostly based on having, and then not using them.
Little experience at all with the above lenses. I did have the A/I 28mm f3.5, and it was quite a good lens, especially at near subject distances, with the least distortion I've seen in a 28. Might be worth a look if you don't need the extra stop wide open.

The Ash seed pods in your first frame show very good resolution on my monitor, and look more like f5.6 to me, just based on what I've seen with various 28's on quite similar subjects.

I'm currently with the non-SP Tamron adaptall-2 28mm f2.5, and it has become one of my favorite lenses for close focus work.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
I got into a bit of a snit over 28mm lenses a couple of years ago- mostly based on having, and then not using them.
Little experience at all with the above lenses. I did have the A/I 28mm f3.5, and it was quite a good lens, especially at near subject distances, with the least distortion I've seen in a 28. Might be worth a look if you don't need the extra stop wide open.

The Ash seed pods in your first frame show very good resolution on my monitor, and look more like f5.6 to me, just based on what I've seen with various 28's on quite similar subjects.

I'm currently with the non-SP Tamron adaptall-2 28mm f2.5, and it has become one of my favorite lenses for close focus work.

-D.S.

I won't be looking at any more lenses, except for exceptional ones. I have too many I don't use. Extra stops are not an issue as I never use a lens wide open.

"The Ash seed pods" are male catkins with lots of stamens. That is the one I had reduce the quality (detail) of to upload.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the Nikkor 28mm f2.8 AIS, but also the 28mm f3.5 AIS, the 28mm f2.8 Series E, and a 28mm f2.8 K version that I got for $8 because there was a small coating mark. I have got fine images with all of them -- they are all capable lenses, and I don't think the f2.8 AIS close focus version is that much better to warrant its current exorbitant price (I got mine pretty cheaply, so I don't feel bad about owning one). Take them out and have fun!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@gaeger
Great images 👍

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splendid. Like 1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Colleen Wagner and wooden boats... Smile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, folks. That boat photo was with the f3.5. I really liked that lens but sold it once I bought the f2.8 version, which I still have along with the $8 K version, which is fantastic (the hiker in the snow on film is with that one). I have had a couple of the Series E 28mm lenses over the years. They were fine, too. When I was traveling to New York for work, I would take one of those and a zoom of some sort for the week. With a macro-focusing teleconverter, that Series E lens did great!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikon 28mm f/2.8 AI-s Reply with quote

I got mine years ago and it is one of the best 28mm around. Havent used it much since I dont have a Digital Nikon and only take the FE for a spin once a year

e6filmuser wrote:
I obtained a copy recently. My reasons for purchase included Ken Rockwell's praise of its performance and its close focusing ability.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a lens I've used a ton myself, but based on the examples in this thread, it certainly seems to epitomize the classic Nikon look in its "muscular" rendering. High clarity, saturated color, sharp and contrasty, but not overly clinical.
Looks like it would be a real photojournalist's delight in decades past.