Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor-P 105/2.5 N-AI with heavily scratched front glass
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Nikkor-P 105/2.5 N-AI with heavily scratched front glass Reply with quote

I always heard the Nikkor 105/2.5 has an excellent reputation and I also knew that scratched front element has virtually no impact on image IQ but I was always skeptical.

However, with the results posted below I'm fully convinced so I thought I should share with you guys. I will post the actual picture of the lens later.

All shots were taken wide open with my K100D. Yes, it mounts perfectly and stays on put.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a nice lens. The bokeh is very nice and it's sharp. Good to see the scratches don't affect the image. Very nice shots, you nailed the focus spot on.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Looks like a nice lens. The bokeh is very nice and it's sharp. Good to see the scratches don't affect the image. Very nice shots, you nailed the focus spot on.

Thanks! Focusing was easy as the focus ring is really smooth and precise.

Here are the actual pictures of the lens. Looks like some idiots passed few rounds of sandpaper on it...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Now that is pretty sanded down, when you said scratched I figured ok maybe it's a couple scratches, and the pics came out great.... I was not expecting that cataract of a road rash on the front element. I'm amazed.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to your images of the lens front i'd say it performs at 70% only. But you can hide that with small prints and post-production. Nevertheless you managed to emphasize the idea heavily used lenses should be respected.

I like your combination of Nikon and Pentax.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
According to your images of the lens front i'd say it performs at 70% only. But you can hide that with small prints and post-production. Nevertheless you managed to emphasize the idea heavily used lenses should be respected.

I like your combination of Nikon and Pentax.

When you say 70%, is it across the board of only for the contrast and/or IQ? To be honest, I looked at 100% on all images shot from f2.5 through f8, I don't see any IQ issue. The contrast might be impacted a bit but it's easily fixed in PP. Beyond f8 I start to see IQ and contrast issues.

I have a couple more of those Nikkor 105/f2.5 that are in very good condition, perhaps I will do a shootout when time permits, hopefully next week or so.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Shocked Now that is pretty sanded down, when you said scratched I figured ok maybe it's a couple scratches, and the pics came out great.... I was not expecting that cataract of a road rash on the front element. I'm amazed.

Yeah, me too I'm extremely surprised! I got the lens for practically nothing so I didn't expect anything from it but looking at the results, I might give it few more spins Smile

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opposite direction Smile

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm amazed by the results of that Nikkor! Now I'm even sadder that I didn't bid on a 180mm 2.8 ED that want on bay for $71 yesterday! It had what in comparison was one minor scratch!

I always wonder how a lens like your 105mm gets to be like that!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incredible and gorgeous images!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ducdao wrote:

I have a couple more of those Nikkor 105/f2.5 that are in very good condition, perhaps I will do a shootout when time permits, hopefully next week or so.

This thread has me wondering how my badly scratched lens (seen below) will compare to one with only a few scratches. I got the lens on e-bay "as new" & when we reported the condition a replacement was sent. I will do a comparison tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: Lovely Find! Reply with quote

Great lens!

Not an expert, but seems fine, still a shot picking up flare would be interesting?

The additional flare wide open or under 5.6, might be instructive?

Thanks for showing it to us, looks 98% to me! We all love the limping pet!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Lovely Find! Reply with quote

pat donnelly wrote:
Great lens!

Not an expert, but seems fine, still a shot picking up flare would be interesting?

The additional flare wide open or under 5.6, might be instructive?

Thanks for showing it to us, looks 98% to me! We all love the limping pet!

Will definitely test the flare this week-end.

Can't believe you have over a thousand lenses Shocked I'm only halfway there Smile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, congratulation, the lens still shines.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was complaining about a copy of helios 44-2 that has minor scratches barely visible Very Happy now that's a scratched front element.