Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor-H Auto 85mm f1.8 Nippon Kogaku Japan-Pre-AI
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:57 am    Post subject: Nikkor-H Auto 85mm f1.8 Nippon Kogaku Japan-Pre-AI Reply with quote

This lens was converted to M42.

Used a reverse mt. M42 adapter -Modified adapter and shaved ring around it a hair.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Nikkor-H Auto 85mm f1.8 Nippon Kogaku Japan-Pre-AI Reply with quote

Kathmandu wrote:
This lens was converted to M42.

Used a reverse mt. M42 adapter -Modified adapter and shaved ring around it a hair.

Great job!

Can you elaborate more on the "shaved ring around it a hair"? I understand what you meant but don't you have to shave the surface of the adapter as well to preserve infinity focus?

Also, which reverse M42 adapter did you buy? There are simply so many of those on eBay. A link or eBay number would be great.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[I dont do tutorials-this is only what I did by ways of a modification to adapt this particular lens. I am happy to share this if this helps out in anyway,since you asked Smile . ]

This is the reverse adapter I bought and used

I bought it here Click here to see on Ebay

I sanded the outer perimeter of the reversing adapter ,so that it plopped into the void left after I removed the Nikkor Mount. Once it plops into the void(I hope I'm not creating a new word i.e "plop")-you will see that the Nikkor part of the ring (that's the ring outside the reverse mount) is taller than the flat part of the reverse mount. I shaved the outer ring so it was level with the flat of the reverse adapter.

@ducdao- I am sorry I did not document in detail ,when I did this conversion,and I did this a few months ago. Looking at my lens now-The key thing to remember is the little protruding thing on Nikkor lenses.

the one in the green circle in the image above.

In order to reach infinity -you can use the edge of that piece as your marker-thats where the flat part of the M42 mount should be level with ,and thats how much of the outer ring you sand down.

I hope that helps in some way.

Minor detail-Its always nice to screw your choice adapter on to the M42 mount before hand ; and align it on the lens to your liking before you drill holes into the reverse mount. I like mine where the focusing marker is facing up as intended. I used three of holes in mounting boss, which I think is more than sturdy.

Last edited by Kathmandu on Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I opened my lens and took some pictures- and I found out that I indeed ground down the thickness of the reversing adapter. I ground down the inner surface so it was flat and so the outside flat surface was level with the piece that sticks out as described in the previous post.

I hope I was successful in explaining ""shaved ring around it a hair" part.

Smile Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathmandu wrote:
I opened my lens and took some pictures- and I found out that I indeed ground down the thickness of the reversing adapter. I ground down the inner surface so it was flat and so the outside flat surface was level with the piece that sticks out as described in the previous post.

I hope I was successful in explaining ""shaved ring around it a hair" part.

[

Smile Smile

Crystal clear! Thanks a lot for your explanations. I will try to perform the same exercise with my badly battered Nikkor 105/25 first Smile