Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor AF 50mm f1.8D in the city
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Nikkor AF 50mm f1.8D in the city Reply with quote

I have been off for the past week visiting family in Brisbane.
Brisbane is the State capital of Queensland and a beautiful city.
Here are some images from the humble 1.8/50D Nikkor.
OH

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went there for the first time a few weeks ago,I agree a lovely city...on a river...so nice.Love the sun image coming through the buildings.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mo.
Here are a few more from this very good lens (made in China BTW)
OH

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots !

I visited the city two years ago and your first shot reminds me on the time I spent on the Story Bridge shooting the very same area.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks and performs like a very reasonable lens...no matter where it was made...they did a good job Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
It looks and performs like a very reasonable lens...no matter where it was made...they did a good job Very Happy

Thanks Moira.
I can find very little to desire in a 50mm lens that is not already present in this one.
Here are a couple more from along the river.
OH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very neat little lens it seems from the beautiful photographs
I have the canon ef 50mm f1,8 and despite it's super plastic construction it consistently delivers great results

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

!Karen wrote:
A very neat little lens it seems from the beautiful photographs
I have the canon ef 50mm f1,8 and despite it's super plastic construction it consistently delivers great results

Thank you Karen.
My son has the Canon lens and he is very happy with it as well.
Yes, the Nikkor is excellent and is easy to manually focus, which is my preference.
OH

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought one used today for $89.00 C.A.D... It is my very first A/F interchangeable lens.

There's a couple of shots to show what the lens looks like.
Yes, it's made in China. Construction seems to be almost all plastic/carbon fiber. There are seven aperture blades in it, and it is definitely coated with something that gives the glass a purple/rose color.

My copy seems to have been used a bit. Slightly grindy, plasticky feel to manual focusing with it. Very likely nylon bearing surfaces in there that are wearing.

It's lightning fast in A/F mode. The only M/F lens I have that approaches this speed is the old short throw 50mm f2 H.C. nikkor.

A couple of quick test shots here:

At ISO 200 in A/F and full Program/Matrix metering mode on the D-810. Aperture is f10 as selected by the camera. Image is un-manipulated except for re-size to fit here.

Hefty crop of the image above. Not bad at all, considering the low hanging dull over-cast we've been putting up with here for a while.

I have mixed feelings on this. I can't really tell a difference in I/Q between this and the old stand by 50mm f2 M/F only K based nikkor.
What it does do (and very well at that) is allow full use of the the camera's capabilities that the m/f lenses miss out on. (yeah it's a nikon gripe, but I live with it.) It's a lot lighter in weight as well. I don't think I'll ever quite get used to that plastic feel though. I'll give it a good run when things clear up weather wise here.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar frame to above in better lighting conditions.

Significant crop of the r/h edge. Not much to define in the corners on this one, but this should give an approximate idea.
The camera selected f9 for reasons beyond me.
As a glorified point and shoot, it works reasonably well.
Now to play with it by assigning various user inputs in the more controllable modes...

-D.S.