Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor 180mm 2.8 in the garden
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Nikkor 180mm 2.8 in the garden Reply with quote

Yesterday I intended to compare my 50ies. But I couldn't, I forgot the adapter, so I have to use my Nik 180 that fortunatly was in my bag.
It was the first time I got a bird photo. It is hard to do.....
The bird photo has some blue ghosts....why it happens?

100% croped

Some static models...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice samples I like all of them. I think on first one (bird) you did get nasty CA.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Nice samples I like all of them. I think on first one (bird) you did get nasty CA.

This is the older version, before Nikon changed to an ED design for the AIS version. Still a good lens, but a bit more lateral CA.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great lens even in the older version. The ED is superb

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots...

I have this lens... Heard its a copy of Ziess Sonnar 180mm... Blurness is creamy..

You can get very cheap... Heard, ED is top notch in this range, esp in terms of sharpness...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had ED I think equal level in sharpness with Carl Zeiss Jena.Carl Zeiss Contax above them.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Attila.

Yes ChrisLilley, it is the P version Ai converted at home.

Thanks Ballu, your shots are great too.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I had ED I think equal level in sharpness with Carl Zeiss Jena.Carl Zeiss Contax above them.

The ED is quite a good lens but the Leica 180mm f/28 APO-Elmarit is quite a lot better (I've used both).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildlightphoto wrote:
Attila wrote:

The ED is quite a good lens but the Leica 180mm f/28 APO-Elmarit is quite a lot better (I've used both).

I heard that the Leica APO-Telyt 180mm f/3.4 is even sharper (especially at infinity); apparently made first for a military contract for West German border security.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:
I heard that the Leica APO-Telyt 180mm f/3.4 is even sharper (especially at infinity); apparently made first for a military contract for West German border security.

Since I no longer have access to the f/3.4 I can't compare the two, but the f/3.4 was originally made for the US Navy.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildlightphoto wrote:
ChrisLilley wrote:

Since I no longer have access to the f/3.4 I can't compare the two, but the f/3.4 was originally made for the US Navy.

That would make more sense than the story I heard, as the lens was made by Leica Canada.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 180/2.8 ED is one of my all-time favorite Nikkors. I've never used the non-ED flavor, but the ED version is just superb.

Michael