Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nex-5 and 35mm CCTV lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Nex-5 and 35mm CCTV lens Reply with quote

On LucisPictor's recommendation, I grabbed one of these cheap 35/1.7 CCTV lenses and an adapter (£26.00 all in Smile)

Plus...I got a NEX-5 for my birthday! Very Happy So the Nex-3 will be up for sale shortly!

I love this combo already...it's a decent size and has a great focal length for indoors use. Can't wait to take some proper photos!

BTW, I've also ordered a Lowepro Apex 100 bag, which should fit nicely Smile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey congrats!! I look forward for your nex-3 sale Surprised

Friend of mine who is a sales/repair man of photographic items, great fun og these mirror less cameras. He bought already all type of them, Nex, Samsung NX and Olympus Ep. He did tell me too many TV lens just perfect , he also told me Tevidon 75mm cover APS-C !

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've often wondered what the center vs. corner sharpness and degree of chromatic correction is like on these TV lenses. Have you had a chance to check these areas out yet, Graham?

BTW, congrats on getting the NEX-5! Maybe you should keep the 3 as a backup, or is it superfluous now?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I've often wondered what the center vs. corner sharpness and degree of chromatic correction is like on these TV lenses. Have you had a chance to check these areas out yet, Graham?

I'm not Graham but I dare to anwser nevertheless. Wink

That's impossible to generalize, I'm afraid.
You wouldn't ask about the corner sharpness of M42 lenses on digital fullframe either, would you? Wink

It really depends on the particular lens. If a lens just covers the sensor area, corner sharpness will be bad, of course, and aberrations will be gross.
Some lenses cover more than an APS sensor and with those the edge performance is pretty good. Although I have the impression that TV lens designs care more about a high centre performance than about a high performance across the whole field.

Anyway, that CCTV 1.7/35 is more than just usable on APS!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shall be putting the lens through some serious tests this weekend. To be honest though, I'm not really that fussed as to whether it's sharp across the frame. What this NEX-cctv combo gives me is a small, fast, normal apsc option for low light photography, with shallow depth of field. And I love shallow depth of field Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
I shall be putting the lens through some serious tests this weekend. To be honest though, I'm not really that fussed as to whether it's sharp across the frame. What this NEX-cctv combo gives me is a small, fast, normal apsc option for low light photography, with shallow depth of field. And I love shallow depth of field Very Happy

+1

There are plenty of (slow) lenses that give us a nice corner-to-corner performance on APS, but the size of this CCTV lens fits just nicely to the NEX.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

I'm not Graham but I dare to anwser nevertheless. Wink

That's impossible to generalize, I'm afraid.
You wouldn't ask about the corner sharpness of M42 lenses on digital fullframe either, would you? Wink

It really depends on the particular lens. If a lens just covers the sensor area, corner sharpness will be bad, of course, and aberrations will be gross.
Some lenses cover more than an APS sensor and with those the edge performance is pretty good. Although I have the impression that TV lens designs care more about a high centre performance than about a high performance across the whole field.

Anyway, that CCTV 1.7/35 is more than just usable on APS!

Actually, I would ask about corner sharpness on M42 lenses for use on an FF DSLR.

Yeah, I realize it's gonna be lens-specific. But it's data nonetheless, and data can be accumulated so that an overall picture begins to emerge. I was interested more for those reasons.

And I agree about the center-centric nature of the TV lenses. I just don't think that the people who produce TV shows are all that interested in maximum corner sharpness when non-HD TV resolution is so low.

ManualFocus-G wrote:

Not to mention its performance when used in video mode, eh? I'm thinking it should do very well in the sort of use it was intended for. And shallow depth of field can be quite captivating in video as well when done right.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

Actually, I would ask about corner sharpness on M42 lenses for use on an FF DSLR.

Yes, but not of "the" M42 lens, something like "How good is an M42 lens in the corner of a fullframe sensor?"
The normal answer would be "Which M42 lens?"

The same here: "Which Cine/TV lens?"

That's what I meant.