Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New system, for K and M42, old lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:21 pm    Post subject: New system, for K and M42, old lenses? Reply with quote

Hello, I have some old lenses, manual focus, K and M42 mount. Which ML FF system, between Nikon Z or Panasonic L, would be more suitable for these K-mount and M42-mount lenses? So far I have only used Pentax APS-C DSLR cameras. Now it's time to switch to FF, but I really want to use the lenses I mentioned, maybe others, a ML system being much more adaptable for old and character lenses. In addition to choosing the ML FF system itself, I am also interested in the existing offer for adapters other than Novoflex. Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New system, for K and M42, old lenses? Reply with quote

edri wrote:
Hello, I have some old lenses, manual focus, K and M42 mount. Which ML FF system, between Nikon Z or Panasonic L, would be more suitable for these K-mount and M42-mount lenses? So far I have only used Pentax APS-C DSLR cameras. Now it's time to switch to FF, but I really want to use the lenses I mentioned, maybe others, a ML system being much more adaptable for old and character lenses. In addition to choosing the ML FF system itself, I am also interested in the existing offer for adapters other than Novoflex. Thank you.

I'm quite happy with my a7r2 when it comes to adapting mf lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second the A7RII.

How are Nikon Z and Panasonic L to use with manual focus lenses? Odds are nobody owns both cameras. Smile Odds are good folks can tell us the plus and minus of each camera, however. Such as which camera features are available in M mode, does A mode work, is there image stabilization, focus peaking, etc..

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using a Pentax K-1 which is best suited for K-mount and M42. If I were to go mirrorless I would be looking at Nikon or Panasonic. I don't think it really matters what slr lenses you adapt, but what camera system has implemented manual focus assist in the best way, has the highest resolution EFV and rear screen. Best image stabilisation. Type of movable rear screen. The ability to add focal length and maybe also aperture to the exif data. Most people here shoot with a sony because that used to be the only one available. Make a list of your requirements and see which camera fits best to that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I would like to know, first of all, how the exposure and focusing of Nikon Z or Panasonic L are implemented for the old lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edri wrote:
This is what I would like to know, first of all, how the exposure and focusing of Nikon Z or Panasonic L are implemented for the old lenses.

You should begin by familiarizing yourself with "focus peaking" since all new ML cameras use some form of it for manual focus assistance. I can't say how it works exactly on Nikon or Panasonic. With the mode I use on my Fuji it creates a colored highlight along the focal plane. Together with the ability to zoom in on the LCD or EFV, it makes manual focus extremely easy and accurate.

Sorry if you already knew this, but I couldn't tell for sure since you're apparently new to ML.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a little familiar with "focus peaking" on LCD, the function is implemented on my DSLR. On the internet I found two scattered posts in which two users of the Panasonic L system complained that their "focus peaking" does not work when mounting vintage lenses without electrical contacts. I wanted to know if this is a general rule for the L system. There is not much information about the use of old lenses on this system, mainly for photography.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edri wrote:
I am a little familiar with "focus peaking" on LCD, the function is implemented on my DSLR. On the internet I found two scattered posts in which two users of the Panasonic L system complained that their "focus peaking" does not work when mounting vintage lenses without electrical contacts. I wanted to know if this is a general rule for the L system. There is not much information about the use of old lenses on this system, mainly for photography.

On my NEX6 & A7ii focus peaking works on any lenses that create enough contrast, irrespective on contacts.
If it doesn't that would immediately cross a body off the list for me.

I don't know of any mirrorless body that would have difficulties adapting KPK or M42 lenses. The only one I know that can't handle basically all SLR lenses is Pentax's K-01 which is PK mount natively.