Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New chip with user changeable values for M42 to EOS Adapter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: New chip with user changeable values for M42 to EOS Adapter Reply with quote

Today I received the M42 to EOS adapter with user changeable values.

The first hint that it wasn't the 'standard' chip was the default f1.4 rather than the f2.0 on the screen.

The directions say it can be used to set aperture value, focal length, calibration for front and back focus, and switch between AF/MF mode. It is also a focus confirmation chip. I am only interested right now in the focal length and aperture - but the others I will play with later.

I have to give two eBay item numbers to give the full information. First is the chip now for sale all by itself and second is a seller who will substitute this new chip on his adapter for a small additional charge. You have to ask the second seller about doing it so he can make a special PayPal invoice for the new charge.

There is a tutorial link on the first sellers auction. You may want to download the instructions for future reference. No telling how long such things will remain available on the web.

Click here to see on Ebay

Click here to see on Ebay

I quickly Crying or Very sad programed it by the use of my one right hand and my two left hands, both with two thumbs. In all, I was successful after the 16th attempt (I kept count on a stroke sheet). The first 15 were just getting used to the instructions. I finally got a handle on it when I tried the alternative method of entering the command mode using the AI SERVO mode.

Now I had an adapter set for 65mm focal length (EXIF info only) and f5.6. I mounted the old M42 lens body containing the VPK Meniscus lens and no aperture mechanism. This being the reason I wanted the adapter - the fixed aperture value.

The Sun was almost set, so I was able to shoot in AV mode against the Sun and every other direction and then to top it off, a shot at the side of the house in very dense shade. I shot with RAW and JPG (I was using the XTi).

Last week I did almost the same thing with my earlier f2.0 adapter and one half of the RAW were seriously dark to full black. The results tonight were very well exposed RAW in all shots. The EXIF showed the 65mm focal length, the aperture of f5.6 and the varying shutter speeds.

I am very happy overall and I will be ordering four more as soon as the pension check is deposited next week. This adapter is black anodized aluminum.

To prove it wasn't a fluke, I dismounted the adapter and lens, mounted an AF lens, shot some with it and then remounted the MF adapter and lens. The settings were still there.

Last edited by greg on Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks interesting. Has anyone found this same focus chip on a flange-less adapter?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

It may be interesting to know that here in Russia we call this adapter "Oduvanchik". It has been developed and manufactured by Victor Lushnikov.
Now Victor sells the 4th generation of this adapter.

This adapter is programmable (text in English -

Contacts:

Review by Bob Atkins:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dMk wrote:
Hi.

It may be interesting to know that here in Russia we call this adapter "Oduvanchik". It has been developed and manufactured by Victor Lushnikov.
Now Victor sells the 4th generation of this adapter.

http://filmprocess.ru/images/instructions/evolution.jpg
http://filmprocess.ru/images/oduvanchik/dandelion_iii.jpg

This adapter is programmable (text in English - http://filmprocess.ru/oduvanchik/instructions/programming_en.html)

Contacts: http://filmprocess.ru/contact/index.htm
Review by Bob Atkins: http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/m42_eos_focusing_adapter.html

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

Thank you for information!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice to know that Rugift sell chipped m42 adapter
now I have to find some chipped C/Y -> Eos adapter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff!

I've asked the seller if they can get hold of a user-programmable chip for Sony too Smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:
Great stuff!

I've asked the seller if they can get hold of a user-programmable chip for Sony too Smile

Booo they're not available Sad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought 10 of them from Tago, sold 6 of them and kept 4 for me. It is easier when you get use to it but shooting a lot to change something is a drawback. Best part is the adjustment of focusing points but 0-17 wasn't enough for my Nikkor 1.8/85 as I set it to 17 and still need a bit higher value.