Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New autofocus adapter for manual lenses...game changer?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:29 pm    Post subject: New autofocus adapter for manual lenses...game changer? Reply with quote

Hey guys.
I just found out about this adapter.
It is supposed to be an AF adapter for MF lenses. I have no idea how that would work.
http://techartpro.com/product/techart-pro-leica-m-sony-e-autofocus-adapter/

Interesting how you can buy additional add-ons for different mounts, so after initially investment, $70 per adapter isn't terrible if they are very well made and have AF.
Seems like maybe a good way to get high quality, inclusive of all mounts with AF to boot? $370+ is not cheap though...

Is anyone familiar with this? Any thoughts on pros or cons? Would anyone consider this?
Is this a big deal?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is discussed in this thread already:
http://forum.mflenses.com/techart-leica-m-to-sony-e-af-adapter-in-development-new-t73879.html

It is tempting.
But it only has ~0,5cm of z-shift focusing (because of LM short flange distance) and it focuses with a noisy stepping motor - this are its weak points for me, so far.
I'm considering buying it but I'll wait for some trustworthy independent reviews first.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have update the original thread with some more info. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"game changer?"
Not for me, still a manual focus junky.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
"game changer?"
Not for me, still a manual focus junky.

+1, game spoiler for me... if i want AF i'll take the 5D with L lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much. What's so hard about manually focusing Razz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tromboads wrote:
Pretty much. What's so hard about manually focusing Razz

Yep. It is the road to fun and total control.
OH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"AF is for loosers", sorry, just couldn't resist as I'm a rather addicted mf'ler
and being able to quickly focus about anything after years of practice. BUT
for moving objects, cats, people etc. it certainly has its use for sure!!

The short focusing distance, "Z-axis" as Dan calls it, is a major drawback
as many lenses I have, have a massive focusing distamce, especially for
my close-up / macro use, so won't help there anyway. And I doubt it could
handle some 2000++ grams of lens, too Wink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be useful when wife is impatient and/or for other events. But I doubt they will issue one for Minolta MDs before long...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the input, and sorry to rehash something that you guys apparently knew!
I feel the same way, there's a reason I use vintage lenses. Not just the difference in optical quality, but the manual focusing capabilities.
I think it might have a good certain use for specific purposes, such as doing "sports" photography with vintage glass for whatever reason, but I also don't see need for it myself.
I wonder if it'll somehow increase the demand for vintage glass, or if most true vintage glass users don't care for AF like the gang here.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly appears to lead to compact AF camera + lens.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On lenses with longer travel, it is probably best to think of it as a focus "fine tune", as you will probably need to do a rough manual focus first.
I wouldn't spend a fortune on it, but it would be interesting to try. I doubt it is going to be fast enough for action, which is where I most appreciate good AF

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: New autofocus adapter for manual lenses...game changer? Reply with quote

StillSanj wrote:
Hey guys.
I just found out about this adapter.
It is supposed to be an AF adapter for MF lenses. I have no idea how that would work.
http://techartpro.com/product/techart-pro-leica-m-sony-e-autofocus-adapter/

It's not really a "game changer", as Pentax has been selling for years an adapter providing autofocus capability for Pentax K or M42 manual focus lenses (the SMC Pentax-F 1.7x AF Adapter). I seem to remember Nikon also offered a similar device at some point.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting piece of technology but I won't be buying one. Like most of you I'm not interested in AF - I'll stick with MF.

I can see this as a negative though. If it gains traction eventually people will figure out that legacy glass is more affordable than the new stuff. And as more people start buying it the prices will only go up. Guess I better start stocking up now. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered one for quite a while ago now, most out of curiousity. The delivery is very slow at the moment and you must wait for several months the get your copy, only this will make it easy to sell without loss if it is nothing or you... Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game change is focus confirm, whether by chip adaptor or nonmoronic camera firmware.

I may be totally mistaken but all "af" buys you would be the ability to shoot while jumping and rolling. Well probably it is too slow for that. When you have to move the whole lens or camera things will not work as well as real AF.

You may stretch on your toes and get five foot closer to some gizmo you cannot get to. Sometimes an advantage.

When I heard about a similar system (moving the plate/lens) I thought it was a pretty ingenious, if somewhat obvious, idea, though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on! It would spoil whole point of having manual focus lenses Very Happy.
I agree that AF has it's use on some occasions, but I still prefer MF with proper metal lens. I was shooting 2,5 year old in the park (daughter of friend) and she was blazingly fast (as the kids just are) and AF just wasn't fast enough. What's more I cannot frame photo everyway I want because I had to stick to focus points of AF. Well after 5-10 minutes of strugling I got out my manual 135mm/2.5 and it was a lot easier to nail the focus even at f/2.5-f/4.
I know, that more expensive cameras and more expensive lenses do AF a lot lot better than my Canon 600d with Tamron SP 17-50/2.8, but still it's not completely rubbish combo.

On the other hand I must admit, that having such mf->af adapter will give me opportunity to be actually in focus on the photo somebody else is taking with my camera Wink. From some time now I do f/8-f/11 and pre focus usually on hyperfocal to ensure I'll be 'sharp' when somebody else is taking the photo.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, an added benefit is that if you manually focus on min distance, the AF adapter will allow you to take pictures at closer distances as it can extend by a further 5 mm. Not much for tele, but quite a bit for wide angle and even 50mm...
Of course, it is only compatible with A7ii, A7Rii and A6300 and only for Leica M lenses...so not for me but I am confident there will be more of these plus in a couple of years, most probably, some MD rokkor ones and compatible with new cameras.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antoine wrote:
Actually, an added benefit is that if you manually focus on min distance, the AF adapter will allow you to take pictures at closer distances as it can extend by a further 5 mm. Not much for tele, but quite a bit for wide angle and even 50mm...
Of course, it is only compatible with A7ii, A7Rii and A6300 and only for Leica M lenses...so not for me but I am confident there will be more of these plus in a couple of years, most probably, some MD rokkor ones and compatible with new cameras.

Your first point is a good one.
I think the adoption of an M mount should open up pretty much any manual SLR lens as an option, with a relatively cheap M mount adaptor?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I bought a M to m42 as well, so I can try my slr lenses Wink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basilisk wrote:
I think the adoption of an M mount should open up pretty much any manual SLR lens as an option, with a relatively cheap M mount adaptor?

Yes, but the M-mounts short flange distance limits the amount of Z-shift so you'll have to roughtly prefocus many SLR lenses. An SLR mount version would allow for more Z-shift but there is no obvious SLR mount that would allow for adapters to all the common mounts:
    40.50mm - Konica F & AR
    42.00mm - Canon FL & FD
    43.50mm - Minolta SR & Fujica X
    44.00mm - Canon EF & Praktika B
    44.50mm - Sony/Minolta A & Rollei/Voigtländer QBM
    45.46mm - Pentax K, M42
    45.50mm - Contax C/Y & Mamiya Z
    46.00mm - Olymous OM
    46.50mm - Nikon F
    47.00mm - Leica R

A new mount with 35-38mm flange distance would be ideal but we might need to wait quite a while for cheep 3rd party adapters...

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris_Akunin wrote:
Yes, but the M-mounts short flange distance limits the amount of Z-shift so you'll have to roughtly prefocus many SLR lenses.

This for me is the point of this adaptor, and that is exactly how I plan on using it when I get one. It's not to replace MF with AF, it's simply to enhance it, refine it and help get critical focus. You still have the manual focus workflow and sensibility, just a little helping hand at the end to hit focus just right.