Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

need advise: fast manual Zoom, at reasonable price
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: need advise: fast manual Zoom, at reasonable price Reply with quote

Hi, friend of mine is looking for a fast manual lens at a reasonable price as possible. He is using Sony alpha a7 iii, and mainly shooting in doors , shows, concerts etc...
One candidate is the Tokina ATX SD 80-200 f2.8 , can be found at about 200$ and is quite fast with fixed f2.8 .
Any other alternatives?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron. http://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/30A.html

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two common fast 80-200's have been mentioned. The tokina is more easily acquired than the tamron, and tends to be cheaper.

I've had examples of the tokina. Between opening up to f2.8 and upping the ASA, I would recommend upping the ASA. The increase in grain is likely to be less than the decrease in resolution. I would suggests f2.8 is not the best priority. In that case the tamron adaptall 19Ah 70-210mm f3.5 is an option - 2/3 of a stop slower, but constant, good wide open and takes an improvised tripod mount in front of the aperture ring (see here). And if the lens is mainly intended to be used at ~210 mm, the adaptall SP 25A 2 ring zoom is very good at that focal range. Its a bit of a curates egg, the 52A, it close focuses to 1:2 but I've not been impressed with the results. A bit slower than the 19AH at 210mm (f4), but since one can be picked up for a negligible price, why not? Easily takes a generic 66mm tripod ring around the barrel with a bit of modding or packing.
Couple of pics with the tokina... a borrowed canon or samsung NX20, f8 or f11.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another superb lens in this focal range is the Tokina AT-X SD 100-300mm f4.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Edgar about the Tokina ATX 100-300/4. It is one of the sharpest zooms I own, and at 300mm it is one of the sharpest 300mm lenses I own. An excellent lens.

If you're really stuck on f/2.8 speed, I recommend the Tamron 80-200mm f/2.8 LD over the Tokina 80-200. I think that the Tamron is optically superior, and the tests shown at adaptall-2.com bear this out. It outperforms the Tokina by a rather wide margin at all focal lengths. As for price, however, I've found that it usually sells for more than the Tokina. I found mine at KEH, BGN grade (reason for BGN is the collar slips a bit, big deal), for $250. So, it can be found for a reasonable price if you're patient.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My older Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX in Pentax mount is admittedly principally a/f but it has full manual capabilities, including an aperture ring ... might be worth a look if you can find one Smile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tokina ATX SD 80-200 f2.8 is a great lens, but they are often found to have haze on an internal element which is a killer of this fine lens. I bought one about 5 or 6 years ago that was faulty, the focusing had slipped, and was very cheap. But the optics looked good and I soon repaired the focusing ring. I used the lens a lot. But, about 3 years ago I noticed haze on one element, which got progressively worse, to the point the lens was just about unusable. I've taken it apart, and just one side of one element is affected, I think vapours from the lube in the lens have degraded the lens coating, and no amount of 'cleaning' has cured it. I'm planning on just polishing the coating right off with cerium oxide.

I've read about this happening on many examples of this lens, which is a shame because it is so good. But it's a lens that has to be bought with caution, I can imagine many owners sell them as soon as they suspect haze is starting.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
The Tokina ATX SD 80-200 f2.8 is a great lens, but they are often found to have haze on an internal element which is a killer of this fine lens. ...
I've read about this happening on many examples of this lens, which is a shame because it is so good. But it's a lens that has to be bought with caution, I can imagine many owners sell them as soon as they suspect haze is starting.

My AT-X 2.8/80-200mm had the same problem; luckily it was quite easy to cure: The fogging was just on the inside of the first (front) lens element. It can be taken out quite easily. Cleaning is straightforward. After about a year the "fogging" reappeared, and therefore i left the lens as it is. It is OK for wide open portraits and the like, but not a top performer. If excellent detail resolution is important, i would go for the Zeiss CY 4/80-200mm; if freedom from CAs is what you're looking for, the Canon nFD 4/80-200mm L would be best (among the vintage MF zoom, of course).

Stephan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Lloydy wrote:
The Tokina ATX SD 80-200 f2.8 is a great lens, but they are often found to have haze on an internal element which is a killer of this fine lens. ...

My AT-X 2.8/80-200mm had the same problem; luckily it was quite easy to cure: The fogging was just on the inside of the first (front) lens element. It can be taken out quite easily. Cleaning is straightforward. After about a year the "fogging" reappeared, and therefore i left the lens as it is. It is OK for wide open portraits and the like, but not a top performer. If excellent detail resolution is important, i would go for the Zeiss CY 4/80-200mm; if freedom from CAs is what you're looking for, the Canon nFD 4/80-200mm L would be best (among the vintage MF zoom, of course).

Stephan

The element on my ATX is so fogged you can barely see a flashlight shining through it, the actual coating has degraded. Crying or Very sad

But the Zeiss CY 4/80-200mm is an excellent suggestion, a lens I have pretty much forgot I have. And although it is fairly slow, it is small which is worth a stop as it's easy to handle.