Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need advice on lens lubrication grease.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
Let's try to work out the list of key requirements. My family are chemists involved in design of oils and greases. I am sure they will come up with some good suggestion if I give them the needed specifications.

Stable- will not dry-up, cake, break down....
Temperature- -20 to +200 Degrees C minimum
Smooth like a gel
Stays where you put it
Safe for rubber, plastic, the bonding agent in cemented dublets.....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 cents/pence worth: I use the MicroTools #10 light helical grease on most of my lens rebuilds...I like my focus action to be really light so I can make minute focus adjustments with one finger. Since most of the lenses I open up are older pre-war Zeiss, the tolerances are so tight that the light grease works perfectly.

One thing to note about what would be desirable for a lens helical grease is that it would have extremely low volatility: you don't want it to evaporate which will deposit a film on the lens elements near it....also it should maintain a pretty constant viscosity at a longish temp range...so it doesn't get too stiff on a winter day...or melt and run all around inside the lens.

So, whilst the Microtools lube is a bit pricey, if you do the job right, you really only needs a few dabs per lens. The 10ml cup should last for 50 lenses in my estimation.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that a few dabs on a lens with a brass helicoid is enough, but i think those with aluminum helicoids require more to prevent galling.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Nikon Nikkor OEM lens greases: I-40, GE-8, FC-4

• FC-4 is a white synthetic grease suitable for helicoids, cams, slides and key slots. Rated for use from -55˚ C to 100˚ C. Penetration: 450.
• GE-8 is a white synthetic grease used on key slots, slides and cam rollers. This grease is for the small moving bits of a lens, and is not typically used for helicoids. Rated for -45˚ C to 100˚ C. Penetration: 290.
• I-40 is a black molybdenum-based synthetic grease, used very sparingly on AF gear drive components with metal to metal contact. Rated for use from -55˚ C to 120˚ C. Penetration: 280

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keysersoze27 wrote:
How about Nikon Nikkor OEM lens greases: I-40, GE-8, FC-4

• FC-4 is a white synthetic grease suitable for helicoids, cams, slides and key slots. Rated for use from -55˚ C to 100˚ C. Penetration: 450.
• GE-8 is a white synthetic grease used on key slots, slides and cam rollers. This grease is for the small moving bits of a lens, and is not typically used for helicoids. Rated for -45˚ C to 100˚ C. Penetration: 290.
• I-40 is a black molybdenum-based synthetic grease, used very sparingly on AF gear drive components with metal to metal contact. Rated for use from -55˚ C to 120˚ C. Penetration: 280

Do you have a source for the Nikon lube? There was a guy on eBay that was selling portions out of a tub that he was forced to buy from the supplier, but I think supply dried up.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurry up, there is 15% discount available:
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
Hurry up, there is 15% discount available:

That's who I was referring to.
I don't know if he's selling any at that price, and it's well past the end of January and the price is still sky high.
Any other source?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:

That's who I was referring to.
I don't know if he's selling any at that price, and it's well past the end of January and the price is still sky high.
Any other source?

Even somewhat more realistic price of $20 that he mentions is still way too high for 5g jars of lube . It's just a lube for not a very demanding application. The only reason for high price could be that this is a niche product, so the volumes are low. That being said there should be a decent industrial substitute. What would be a good viscosity for such grease?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that it should be thick enough that it doesn't flow, so you know it will stay where you put it. A gel is almost perfect to me.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:

Do you have a source for the Nikon lube? There was a guy on eBay that was selling portions out of a tub that he was forced to buy from the supplier, but I think supply dried up.

This was exactly the ebay link i had in mind.

I also found this :

http://procamerarepair.3dcartstores.com/search.asp?keyword=grease&search.x=10&search.y=9

I use white lithium grease for a ling time . Not been very happy about it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking to buy some grease,for my CZJ lenses the Pancolar 2/50 and Tessar 2.8/50,did anyone come to a conclusion about which grease is the better...the Micro tools light grease or the lithium grease?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no spec's for the Microtools grease, although I'm sure it is OK as they sell it for the purpose of regreasing helicoids. It is very expensive though. When you compare it to something like this Molycote light grease in a far bigger quantity, for a lot less cost, and there is tech info on the grease. It's designed for low torque applications, it's light enough to be used on instruments and clock mechanisms where drag is a very unwanted feature, the temperature range is very broad, so it looks good.

https://www.ellsworth.com/products/by-manufacturer/dow-corning/lubricant-products/grease/dow-corning-molykote-33-extreme-low-temperature-bearing-grease-light-off-white-150-g-tube/

I use ordinary light bearing grease, the sort of stuff mechanics use for bicycle cranks, lenses don't see the extremes of temperature or pressures between friction surfaces that a bearing is going to see, and general purpose grease is designed to work for. Modern silicone greases don't have the separation problems that old greases have either.
Don't be tempted to use Molybdenum disulfide grease, that is notorious for leeching oil.

http://forum.mflenses.com/molybdenum-disulfide-grease-why-i-wont-use-it-t63387.html

I hate the stuff ! Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lloydy,Choosing a lens helicoid grease shouldn't be rocket science should it?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is where Micro-Tool gets their grease from.
http://japan-hobby-tool.com/shopdetail/000000001094/ct5/page1/order/

I've been the most satisfied with this grease(#10), which I'm almost out of, I'll be buying more, plus I'm going to try the (#30) and see what it's like.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you,it's a great link as well....so many useful tools.

Is it fair to say one grease suits all lenses? Or should we treat zooms differently from say a smaller lens like a 50s, and treat older lenses differently to newer lenses?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zooms typically use different lubricants for different purposes, the focus helicoids will be fine with the same stuff pretty much across the board(any lens with focus helical), the zoom mechanism will require something with more viscosity to it so there is no zoom creep.

With the #10 grease, you don't need very much, a little goes a long way, I've used it on everything from an 300/5.6 down to a 28/2.8, it provides a light and smooth feel, for best results, the helicoid must be as clean as possible.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the past 25 years, I've used mostly molybdenum disulfide grease on helicals -- it's a medium viscosity grease, silver-gray in color, I buy at auto parts stores for a few bucks per tub. In fact, I still have the original tub I bought over 25 years ago, and the grease shows no signs of degradation.

I've also used the white lithium grease. It works well too, has the same general properties, although I think it might be just a bit thinner than the moly-d stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/molybdenum-disulfide-grease-why-i-wont-use-it-t63387.html
It may have to do with the brand and type of grease as to weather it will separate out.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found this
http://www.microlubrol.com/krytoxgpl205lubricantgrease-2oz57gmtube-4-3-3-1-2.aspx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
It may have to do with the brand and type of grease as to weather it will separate out.

Interesting. I couldn't tell you what the brand is that I use. In fact, the original tub got crushed partly so I scooped all the grease out and put it in a plastic tub that originally held crab claw meat. So anyway, I have never seen any pooling of oils with the MDS grease I use. And in fact, if I would have seen pooling, I would have stopped using it. Now, while we're on this subject, I have seen some mild separation of lithium grease before, but it was usually a very small amount, so I didn't worry too much about it. I have only seldom used the lithium grease on helicals. Mostly I use it as an engine assembly lube.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the continued discussion,I am learning something new all the time....even if its just about different types of grease and their properties.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With lens lube there are two principal considerations:

1. You do not want lens elements to become fogged - ever. So no volatiles allowed in the lube.
2. You want correct and stable viscosity over a very wide range of temperatures.

There is only one product which meets both of these requirements. It is made specifically to lube lenses:

Click here to see on Ebay then you must click See full item description

The stinkers have raised the price since I bought my last lot. I should have bought more but the darn stuff lasts forever. And sales continue apace world wide regardless. Note they have 200 watchers. Lens rebuilders know this product.

It's a little less expensive if you buy the larger size:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for that link! It's always nice to know of the "proper" tool or item for a repair. I note with some levity that the worst they can manage to say about moly DS is that it's "messy". Not if you're neat in your application of it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that bookmarked in my ebay...as a watcher Laughing But since I am new to the game and about to take the next step, regreasing a helicoid I thought I would check in here first and seek opinions. I am glad I did as you guys are always willing to share your knowledge.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Wow, thanks for that link! It's always nice to know of the "proper" tool or item for a repair. I note with some levity that the worst they can manage to say about moly DS is that it's "messy". Not if you're neat in your application of it.

I will give the Helimax grease a try, if for no other reason than to provide feedback to the site.

I do know that 2 greases that share a name/type can in fact have very different properties, one could be very usable for our purpose, and another the exact opposite, for example Lloydy's and cooltouch's experience with MDS grease.
I've done a few tests to see how easily the oil seperates out of the grease, place a small dab of grease on brown paper, or cardboard and watch to see how fast the oil spreads.