Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My very first MF-Lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: My very first MF-Lens Reply with quote

Hi there,

today my very first MF-Lens I captured on eBay arrived Very Happy

Jena (Carl Zeiss, I think) 50mm f2.8, M42.
It's in mint condition, but the focus seems to be not very smooth. It is very smooth, but "slow". And you need to take some strength - first time I pulled the focus I was about to screw it down from my Adapter Smile
I think this is something that will go away in time of using.

I shot some examples, of course:

Everything at f2.8, wide open, the pictures are 35% of original size. Note that this is my first MF, so I don't that good in pulling a correct focus on every picture (when the train arrived, it was more "point and shot").
Also I have a very flat picture-profile in my Camera (I like to have the most information I can get and grade them later - I'm a vfx-guy, sorry Very Happy). I shot JPEG, not RAW.

I'm pretty happy with it, I like the bokeh and the quality!

Regards!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My very first MF-Lens Reply with quote

Nice Tessar lens. Smile

The stiff focus must be due to old grease, the best thing would be to open the lens, clean the old grease and put some new one.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Export version of Tessar. Congrats!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations.
The Tessar is a fine lens stopped down @ 5.6 and 8.
Good with cheap M42 extension ring for macro shots.
First good step into more good lenses. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Smile

I got it for 20€ (inclusive ensured shipping)
I like it at f2.8 pretty much - I think it makes nice pictures. And on Video, you want the highest amount of depth of field you can get in the most shots Very Happy

Quote:
The stiff focus must be due to old grease, the best thing would be to open the lens, clean the old grease and put some new one.

Huh, that sounds pretty tricky. I saw a screw on one side, but I don't know if I could repair it myself - is this hard, are there any reviews on that? Embarassed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CameraRick wrote:
Thanks Smile

I got it for 20€ (inclusive ensured shipping)
I like it at f2.8 pretty much - I think it makes nice pictures. And on Video, you want the highest amount of depth of field you can get in the most shots Very Happy

Quote:

Huh, that sounds pretty tricky. I saw a screw on one side, but I don't know if I could repair it myself - is this hard, are there any reviews on that? Embarassed

Leave it as is now, if you can focus I accept you can enjoy it instead of ruin it. One year later when you will have lot more experience take out and decide. Don't count this lens has 20 EUR value, export version from this lens pretty rare people will discover this lens and it's value will be lot more ... This is material aspects another aspect you have a piece of industrial art try to keep and care for next generation in safety.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds good. In this condition you can't work with it in a Folow-Focus system, but that's ok since I didn't own one (yet) Smile

Regards

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
This is material aspects another aspect you have a piece of industrial art try to keep and care for next generation in safety.

Attila, this sentence embodies perfectly the spirit behind this forum.

I find it's very important, and often pick up stuff that is uneconomical to repair and have brought into working condition, exactly for this. I can't stand knowing that a great piece of engineering and craftmanship will no longer exist.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, a howto on how to service the Tessar is here

http://oomz.net/tessar/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
Attila wrote:
This is material aspects another aspect you have a piece of industrial art try to keep and care for next generation in safety.

Attila, this sentence embodies perfectly the spirit behind this forum.

I find it's very important, and often pick up stuff that is uneconomical to repair and have brought into working condition, exactly for this. I can't stand knowing that a great piece of engineering and craftmanship will no longer exist.

Thank you for your support ! Yes, this was my reason why I did start mflenses.com and I beleive many people here about this reason. I know Orio for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My very first MF-Lens Reply with quote

CameraRick wrote:
Hi there,

today my very first MF-Lens I captured on eBay arrived Very Happy

Jena (Carl Zeiss, I think) 50mm f2.8, M42.
It's in mint condition, but the focus seems to be not very smooth. It is very smooth, but "slow". And you need to take some strength - first time I pulled the focus I was about to screw it down from my Adapter Smile
I think this is something that will go away in time of using.

I shot some examples, of course:

Everything at f2.8, wide open, the pictures are 35% of original size. Note that this is my first MF, so I don't that good in pulling a correct focus on every picture (when the train arrived, it was more "point and shot").
Also I have a very flat picture-profile in my Camera (I like to have the most information I can get and grade them later - I'm a vfx-guy, sorry Very Happy). I shot JPEG, not RAW.

I'm pretty happy with it, I like the bokeh and the quality!

Regards!

Rick, please change your photo host to one that does'nt impose huge ads on the screen everytime someone wants to view your photos!...I recommend imageshack.us...Its free, easy to use and no ads. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there DSG,

I'm not using Imageshack because it's very poorly in speed and quality (at least where I live Very Happy).
Also, I could link the Images without Ads and stuff as Hotlink directly, but this Service (directupload) is also free, and just gets itself payed though Ads. I respect their Service, so I want to give them - at least - some pennys for their Service to me Smile

In future I'll simply host those files on my own Server, I think that cures the Problem Very Happy

Regards and Thanks to everyone Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CameraRick wrote:
Hi there DSG,

I'm not using Imageshack because it's very poorly in speed and quality (at least where I live Very Happy).
Also, I could link the Images without Ads and stuff as Hotlink directly, but this Service (directupload) is also free, and just gets itself payed though Ads. I respect their Service, so I want to give them - at least - some pennys for their Service to me Smile

In future I'll simply host those files on my own Server, I think that cures the Problem Very Happy

Regards and Thanks to everyone Smile

DSG had right those ads are nasty, please use built-in image upload on this forum or something else without ads.