Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My selections from my first few rolls of 120 I've shot
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: My selections from my first few rolls of 120 I've shot Reply with quote

Just starting to shoot 120, all of these old folders, 1930's Franka Rolfix and Voigtlander Bessa 6x9s and 1950s Ikonta-M 6x6:

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 and 7 are the ones I like best, probably because they show the subject in the least complicated surroundings.

1 is a pleasant scene, but I find myself wanting to read the inscriptions, even though I think the main subject should be the church.

2 and 4 aren't doing it for me, but I can't pin down the reason.

5. Animals can be a pain. Just when you think you have the shot they move and you end up with an ass' ass blocking the subject.

6. The shadows of the trees falling on the church are great, but I wonder if it would look better with the top of the tower showing.

These are the sort of thoughts I have when I am viewing the shots on a film I get back from the lab, every time. I am normally happy if I get 5 or 6 "keepers".

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Skida, always appreciate feedback, that damn donkey with arse visible in the frame was trying to lick me while I took the shot, it expected me to have an apple or something for it to eat.

These early rolls were more to test the cameras and check they were working, and also for me to learn how to shoot these old folders, I hope to make my next rolls with them more artistically pleasing, with these ones I was just chuffed that the cameras worked and gave me some nice sharp shots.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I was just chuffed that the cameras worked and gave me some nice sharp shots.

That's exactly how I felt when I got the first film back from the Zeiss Contina. It is now one of my more satisfying cameras to use.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I nearly bought a Contina after seeing your shots, but I bought a Konica C35 instead, nice small one to carry in my pocket.

I do have a hankering for a Contina sometime though, particularly the earlier folding one.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian

this is an admirable set. I have not done b+w almost since you were born, but 1,2 and 6 could do with some creative dodging and burning during enlarging to bring some of the shadows out. I like your documentary style, showing where you live warts and all

patrickh

How about some local folks working, playing etc?

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Patrick. I agree, some lightening and darkening of areas would help.

People are the hardest subjects to find where I live, hence the paucity of shots of them.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian,
I think the first three would have made fine mystery novel covers back in the day .

I like the donkeys too just wish all of the third donkey was in frame. their lines of site leads me around from one to the next.

And #7 just stands out in this series. The sharpness, clarity and focus is spot on for me. I could envision someone wearing a derby in this shot ! Lovely tonality for this subject too.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Erkie.

I think the Donkey shot either needs there to be just the two donkeys and no arse of a third or, as you say, the whole of the third.

I like 7 a lot too, amazes me how good the IQ is for a camera made in 1937 - I used Attila's beautiful Voigtlander Bessar with 3.5/105 Skopar. This camera impressed me so much I had to find one for myself and I found a slightly older one without the RF but with the Skopar.

I shot a roll in my Bessa today but sadly the development went wrong, I think the little bit of RO9 left in the bottle had gone off, it was a deep brown and looked like it had fully oxidised. When I pulled the film out of the tank it looked blank, on closer inspection I could see the frames very faintly so it was grossly underdeveloped.

I'll try my Bessa again asap, just hope the lens is as nice as the one on Attila's.

You can see both Bessas here:

http://forum.mflenses.com/a-lovely-pair-of-bessas-t49348.html