Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My mystery lens: S-K tele-xenar
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:19 am    Post subject: My mystery lens: S-K tele-xenar Reply with quote

Like new, no marks or scratches, Schneider-KreuznachTele-Xenar 1:3,5 / 90, serial 3,810,4nn, red diamond indicating a single-coated ¿early lens? "Made in Germany",  manual, all white metal. Plastic "AKA"  brand lens-cap; barrel engraved with  ƒ/stop lines marked 3.5 up to 22, also focus gradient lines @  1, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.5, 1,7, 2, 2.4, 3, 4, 5, 7, 10, 20, ∞.  Unusual mount, unless some part is missing: a simple barrel with a single-notch in it, not bayonet or threaded. Pristine metal and glass, like new, in plush, fitted-leather snap-flap drum-case,"E LEITZ, WETZLAR", 2 ⅞" dia, 3⅜" height. WHAT IS IT FOR? Can I make it fit my 1967 Nikon-F? What is a good price-range if it won't work on my F-body? Thanks for any / all replies.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: My mystery lens: S-K tele-xenar Reply with quote

A picture of the lens would help answer your question

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the lens cap and mount cutout, probably Akarelle, if we assume it to be already partially disassembled (the Akarette/Akarelle mount is a crude bayonet, by your description at least the flange will have been removed). A 90mm Tele Xenar was the longest lens for the Akarelle.

It won't fit a 35mm SLR unless you manage to cut off part of its barrel - the register depth is noticeably smaller. Sales value should be modest, the more so if you are right and it is incomplete - Akarelles tend to sell in the 50€ range, and its lenses are in the same price range (if any, the 50/2.0 Xenon in clean condition will raise a bit more, as these are sought after as parts donors for fungused Retinas).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a lens that sounds very similar to yours for the Robot camera, it was a 75mm S-K.

The S-K add-on lenses for the Retina Reflex turn up on ebay cheap all the time, same with the CZ add-ons for the Contaflex. I've often though of buying them and getting an old Retina or Contaflex and removing the lens assembly then dismantling it, removing the shutter then putting it back together, cobbling an EOS mount on the back and using it as the back half or a lens with the add-on's as the front end. The later Contaflex series of 35mm, 85mm and 135mm all at f4 would be nice to have and unusual as well to be seen used on a modern dslr, I personally think they are better put to good use like this than sitting in someone's display case next to an old Contaflex gathering dust.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were for Robot, it must be a one-off affair, the 90mm never was on their catalogue. The 90mm was also made in Alpa Reflex and Exakta mount - given that the mount itself seems to be missing, only the barrel length might tell what it originally was.

But as it has a Aka front cap and was one of the more common Aka lenses, I still tend strongly towards that...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might look like this? >
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alf_sigaro/3113408847/in/photostream/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sevo wrote:
If it were for Robot, it must be a one-off affair, the 90mm never was on their catalogue. The 90mm was also made in Alpa Reflex and Exakta mount - given that the mount itself seems to be missing, only the barrel length might tell what it originally was.

But as it has a Aka front cap and was one of the more common Aka lenses, I still tend strongly towards that...

You may be right, most Robot lenses were black I think.

This is the one I saw that I thought might be similar: