Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

my Helios 44-2 arrived! but not the adapter, yet = (
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: my Helios 44-2 arrived! but not the adapter, yet = ( Reply with quote

hi guys, I've just received my Helios 44-2 from moscowphoto@ebay, but the M42 adapter is still on the way so I couldn't really try out, just playing around with this famous vintage lens X D

this is my 1st full manual lens, & I have somethings I couldn't understand:

1. the diaphragm setting ring seems to be locked? (is't only free when mounted?)

2. the diaphragm ring with index is free, but when I turn it, the aperture indication seems to be reversed?? it's wide open when the index indicates f/16, & vice versa @ f/2.... @_@ lol

3. how to use the DOF scale with index? T.T sorry if this sounds stupid lol

4. the distance scale doesn't seem to have an "indication point"?

may be I should patiently wait for the adapter then I'll automatically learn & know? = P anyway thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. The diaphragm setting ring is clicking in quite stiff with mine, might be yours too. Mounting has no influence;
2. Yes that is the way it works on most Russian lenses. Queer feeling, but you get used to it;
3. The DOF scale indicates the DOF for a chosen diafgam and the set distance. On the picture is the distance scale set on 3m, so you can read a DOF for F 8 is reaching from appr. 2.35m till 4.70m.
I hope you have lots of fun with sharp pictures with the lens!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after playing further I think I knew what the DOF scale is for = P

but, the red arrow should be pointing @ the focusing distance right? mine seems to be "misaligned" and there's positive offset, at minimum, it won't reach 0.5m, only around 0.55m Rolling Eyes

as for the diaphragm setting ring, just realized it's not locked (forceful turn & click.....), & is the "reverse" the way it should be? when I turn the free ring to f/2 (supposely, widest aperture) & align the stiff ring to f/2, the free ring can no longer move, it's like the stiff ring limits the range? but still can't explain why is't reversed... like I click the stiff ring @ f/2.8, the free ring can then moves btw f/2.8 & f/2, but the whole thing is reversed, physically it opens wider when I turn the ring approaching f/2.8 >.<

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
1. The diaphragm setting ring is clicking in quite stiff with mine, might be yours too. Mounting has no influence;
2. Yes that is the way it works on most Russian lenses. Queer feeling, but you get used to it;
3. The DOF scale indicates the DOF for a chosen diafgam and the set distance. On the picture is the distance scale set on 3m, so you can read a DOF for F 8 is reaching from appr. 2.35m till 4.70m.
I hope you have lots of fun with sharp pictures with the lens!

oh I see! thanks for the input mate!

but is distance scale offset normal? should I try to disassemble if I care? I mean is't complicated @ all? Rolling Eyes

thanks again!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i own 1 Helios 44-2 which comes with zenit-E olympic 1980 for only 550rubles Cool It is a cheap lens but i quite amaze with it (it's indeed my 1st MF lens).

I didn't check the distance scale of my lens but i think it's accurate enough. If the difference is in the matter of cm i don't think it worth it to resemble. But if u do, maybe you can tell us all the experience then.

The only problem i got with my Helios 44-2 is it won't focus infinity as i use Nikon body. I should get the optical adapter someday.

Here are some picture which i took with the lens recently.

Nikon D60 + Helios 44-2 58mm f2 with mechanical M42 adapter. f2.8. NEF Raw converted to JPEG (using Adobe Lightroom + Photoshop CS2).

f2.Crop only

wide open, crop

I love the whirl bokeh it produces. Can't wait to see yours too..