Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My fresh Jupiter-9 (and Industar 50-2).
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: My fresh Jupiter-9 (and Industar 50-2). Reply with quote

Greetings from Estonia !

So, I got this really good bargain. I got the Jupiter-9 for peanuts and he threw in an Industar too. I first thought they would be in crappy condition. BUT OH MY GOD. I even have the original paperwork. Both came with the original casings. No scratch marks, like Im the first one using. The Jupiter even has that cheap russian factory smell on it. So, I was in seventh heaven.

As soon as I got home, I threw the Jup-9 on my Canon and started testing. I had mixed feelings at the beginning, I really wanted to like it, but..... But then, something happend, and I was like nooooo waaaay. This lens is mad. The bokeh is maaaad. Wide open, its pretty sharp and has that portrait "glow" to it. But if you stop it by one step, a whole new world opens up. At F4 its the sharpest lens I own (not kidding).

And when I had had my fun with the Jup-9. I thought I would give the pancake a try. Didnt expect anything, but again, OH MY GOD. Under low light it loses contrast as you can see, but I made a few snaps during daylight, It was very very good (yes I know its 3.5, but do you know how SMALL it is ?)

So enough of talking. You guys look them yourself. Absolutely no PP !

The casing for J-9. As you can see, the price tag was 40 rubles Very Happy

The color cast is very nice.

Now you have seen the package, lets peek thru...

Some CA. But its sharp and the bokeh.......

No comments needed.

Look at the bokeh. LOOK ! Mmm calming....

Here you can see the "fog", especially on the lower "crystals".

F4.0 and ... It speaks for itself.

All the pictures were taken with Canon EOS30D on neutral and no PP was applied.

Gonna go find some pretty girls, soon you guys will see some portraits !
Piece,
Joosep

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats! great review, great results
Quote:
Gonna go find some pretty girls, soon you guys will see some portraits !

that's the part of the review I prefer Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome - good test to show the bokeh.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also bought a Jupiter-9 M42 lens on eBay for a bargain price (this was around a year ago). The seller was very kind when I asked about how I would go about fitting the lens on a K-mount Pentax DSLR. Over the course of a few days and numerous messages, he told me to check out the forums over at mflenses.com, and that he threw in a couple mf lenses.

I received the package a couple days later; he also included the Industar 50-2/3.5 and a Pentax K50/2 to my surprise - my experience with the lens have been identical with yours!

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking forward to the arrival of my M42 I-50-2, even more so after seeing your shots ....

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics! I'm especially impressed with how sharp the image from the J-9 is wide open. It's not a perfect lens especially wide open as at least my copy is prone to a glowing effect when it films reflective objects like anything white. Once closed down to 2.8, it's like it becomes a totally different lens. From 2.8 on, it's acceptably sharp and produces a very pleasing and vintage image. It's unlike anything else in my lens collection and I find myself reaching for it day to day when I shoot to see what I can get out of it. It's the very definition of a "grower" for me.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings from California! (for now)

Something over a year ago, I got a Jupiter-9 (US$70) and Industar-50 (US$13) separately on the bay. No good package deal like yours, darn! Both are dull aluminum, M39 mounts, and have sticky focus. The stickiness is especially severe on the I50, so it is mostly used on macro tubes (where it is GREAT!). I like the J9's optics but it's just a pain to use; twisting it for close focus is likely to unscrew the lens from the adapter! I'm more likely to carry a Nikkor 85/2 -- I modded its base a bit for a better fit on my Pentax K20D. I'll tell myself: use the J9 more. Will I listen to myself?

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rio, those rascals will clean up just fine. The I-50 is really easy to do. Tutorials are available. Even I, with my near nerveless fingers, could clean it up and re-grease. Works prefectly ...

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
Rio, those rascals will clean up just fine. The I-50 is really easy to do. Tutorials are available. Even I, with my near nerveless fingers, could clean it up and re-grease. Works prefectly ...

You mean I can't just give it a squirt of 3-in-1 oil?

[/rimshot]

Ah yes, re-lubing -- I gargle for CLEAN GREASE INDUSTAR LENS and get many how-to hits. Yes, I'll have to try that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Meanwhile, I'm spinning the Jup-9 back and forth, loosening it a little -- and it DOES loosen, but I also notice a slight strange scent, almost like solder resin. I guess that's the wax volatilizing. Anyway, the J9 is now loose enough for use. I should go try a few shots now. Ciao.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Industar 50 is the easiest lens I have ever worked on. Remember to only loosen the screws on the focus barrel. No need to take them out and if you drop them, they've gone. The indy is a tiny lens and is quite slow at F3.5, but is sharp throughout it's range. It flares like a pair of 70s jeans thougfh, so needs a hood and to be used with care.

I have the Alu M39 Jupiter 9. These are supposed to be better wide open than the M42 version and I must say that mine is very good at F2

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I have the Alu M39 Jupiter 9. These are supposed to be better wide open than the M42 version and I must say that mine is very good at F2

I'll repeat the old mantra: a bit soft wide-open, nicely sharp when stopped down. And I'll repeat a truism: we humans like to see things nice and sharp, but we can tolerate (or even expect) softness when seeing features like faces and anatomy. So shoot people and cats and lawn gnomes at f/2, and architecture and 'scapes and techno-detail at f/8.

One of my quirks: On a fast screwmount lens, I'm likely to use a cheap flanged non-infinity-focus PK-mount adapter. Why? The excuse for a fast lens is to use it wide open. Subjects suitable for a wide aperture usually aren't out at infinity. For closer subjects, we want infinity to be blurred. Also it pulls in the near-focus point a bit -- to about 24in / 60cm on the J9.

Form vs function: the alum J9 looks a bit glaring on my black K20D -- maybe I need a bright red Kx? A bit of a fashion statement, there.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riorico> I'm not sure why you've quoted me there as your response doesn't really have a lot to do with my reply?

It is good advice though.