Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Multi use strap for vintage cameras.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Multi use strap for vintage cameras. Reply with quote

As you know I collect vintage cameras. And use them. Lots of older cameras don't have lugs for a strap so you must rely on the ever ready case. If you don't have a case or the front will not detach you can have a problem. I have come up with a multi-purpose solution.

Let me point out from the start that part of this project involves hanging the camera from the accessory shoe. Not recommended with big, heavy cameras

This strap was originally made for my Zorki 2-C but with an additional piece I can use it with almost any lightweight camera with an accessory shoe.

Here it is with my Voigtlander Vito ll hanging from it.

Attached to the Zorki

The basic strap: A leather strap (adjustable from an old case) An attachment for the tripod bush on one end and a spring loaded swivel hook on the other. I have glued small pads of leather to the sides of the swivel hook so It doesn't mark the metal of the camera.

For the Vito ll I needed a way to attach the other end.

I cut a piece of 3mm plasticard the same size and shape as the accessory shoe and pushed it in, shaving the edges to make it fit tightly.

I then needed to attach a leather strap to it. I decided to use a 10mm leather rivet so I drilled a hole through the plastic and married it up with the leather strap in which I punched a couple of holes. The rivet needed countersinking so I did that, now it's flush with the plastic. Sandwiched between the leather and the plastic is a thin bolt. This is to give a little distance between the strap and the camera body. It also allows me to swivel it the other way round if necessary.

The camera retaining screw was salvaged from an old case, it goes through an eyelet, under the leather patch is a washer, smaller than 1/4", I cut a 45 degree portion out of it with snips and squeezed it over the shaft of the retaining screw with pliers. It just stops the screw from falling off. The leather over it was to protect the camera and tidy it up.

A simple project, you dont need instructions for this one as its self explanatory.

I have a small set of leather rivets, eyelets and punches. This does help! The last image shows the swivel hook attached via a punched hole in the leather. I will reinforce this with an eyelet. A split ring may also be used through the loop on the end.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice idea! Is it rugged enough for daily use?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very rugged. I've used it for nearly six months with my Zorki and worn it all day many times. It is all leather, glued and riveted. very rugged. I plan to make another with all the leather the same and the rivets & eyelets the same colour. This one kind of evolved so it's a mix-match of materials.

You could make one from nylon webbing rather than leather, although because of the material it would have to be wider. Its the fitments that make strap this unique.

I was worried that the accessory shoe may get too much strain, but the Vito in the photos only weighs about 700g. No problem.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very, very good idea.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks David.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too was a bit worried about the hotshoe... probably more than the strap itself as leather is pretty durable.

But on the other hand, I keep thinking that this is just what I need for a few of my cameras.

Thanks for the very inspiring tip Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francois wrote:
I too was a bit worried about the hotshoe... probably more than the strap itself as leather is pretty durable.

But on the other hand, I keep thinking that this is just what I need for a few of my cameras.

Thanks for the very inspiring tip Smile

I took some photos of my last one. I must out up a tutorial soon. Thank you too for your compliment.

I have more and more old cameras and with many without cases it's become necessary.

I have recently made a 'modular' system consisting of a strap with fasteners on both ends, a hotshoe adapter and a tripod screw adapter. The strap on its own is useful when using an original ever ready case (ERC), as the original straps can be very brittle and snap. I cut the strap off the case leaving only the loops and clip my new strap to the case. Perfect. Thin belts from charity shops or discount fashion shops are a good source of 'leather'. I have ordered a slot hole punch so I can attach a buckle to the straps and make them adjustable.

I had thought of making an adjustable cradle to fit different size cameras but the design problems were position of tripod hole and thickness and height of camera. One that would fit my Vito B and other cameras of its approximate size, would be unsuitable for larger or more front heavy cameras like folders or tube cameras. A universal solution is required. But I'm working on it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cameras vary so much in shape that the only solution I could think of is two sliding L brackets that adjust to the width of the camera and get held secure with the tripod socket. To counter the front to back balance, I'd put on the top of each bracket a tab that goes forward with a series of holes drilled in it. You adjust the front to back balance by shifting the split ring position.