Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Most reliable old handheld meter?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: Most reliable old handheld meter? Reply with quote

Hello

I want to buy a new (old) lightmeter.

Which one? I would like something that can use modern batteries, and that should be accurate-ish.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite lightmeter is the Minolta Spotmeter M. It takes 6V standard battery which is easily available.
Capabilities can be found here:
http://www.cameramanuals.org/flashes_meters/minolta_spotmeter_m.pdf

If you want to use it also for flash light metering then the Spotmeter F would be the right one:
http://www.cameramanuals.org/flashes_meters/minolta_spotmeter_f-1.pdf

If you don't need a Spotmeter you can even use your smartphone to measure the ambient light. There are lightmeter apps available for that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people use their mobile phones....not sure how accurate they are though.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Most reliable old handheld meter? Reply with quote

chris667 wrote:
Hello

Which one? I would like something that can use modern batteries, and that should be accurate-ish.

Cheers!

Gossen Lunasix F or Profisix are the ones that I use and I have been happy with them for decades.
They use a simple 9V duracell or energiser alkaline battery.
T

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer Gossen Polysix Electronic (2) CdS meter.
Measuring 10°, 20° or 30°, with little viewfinder.
Rather big, like Lunasix, less extended use in very low light compared to the Lunasix.
But just two AA batteries needed, reloadables OK!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Most reliable old handheld meter? Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
chris667 wrote:
Hello

Cheers!

Gossen Lunasix F or Profisix are the ones that I use and I have been happy with them for decades.
T

I too used a Gossen Lunasix F for many years until it died and was uneconomical to repair. I replaced it with a Sekonic L-398A which is basically the same only smaller.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Most reliable old handheld meter? Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
chris667 wrote:
Hello

Cheers!

T

I too used a Gossen Lunasix F for many years until it died and was uneconomical to repair. I replaced it with a Sekonic L-398A which is basically the same only smaller.

The Gossen Lunasix F was my first lightmeter until I changed it for a Spotmeter which I needed for the "Anselm Adams method".