Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MITAKON 35MM F0.95 E-MOUNT
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please change your user name to something more normal , you can left your domain in signature line if you wish to advertise it , pick up please a more normal name and I will change it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awhile back, when I forst saw this lens on Alibaba, I was chatting with the guy and he said that, what would be best describes as an "effort", was in conjunction with SLR Magic. We also went over the price of it and I said that the price was extremely high for such a lens due to the fact that the reputation of the company and the build quality had yet to be established.

I like collecting "fast glass", such as the Kowa's, Rodenstocks, etc, that you find from surplus sales. However, for any serious use I'll use an optically stabilized lens, stopped down to 2.8, which will essentially exceed the low-light performance that any f/.95 lens would be able to pull off. If you want the shallow DOF then I would suggest a quality telephoto lens, like a 135-180 at f/2.8. The overall IQ will be better and you'll have a telephoto for other uses not requiring shallow DOF.

You can seriously make photos with shallow DOF and with better IQ with a surplus lens and some make-shift adapters and it will be in the $50-$100 range.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Bee!

I agree fully , stopped down always help to get better images.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: MITAKON 35MM F0.95 E-MOUNT Reply with quote

F0.95 wrote:

This Lens will be sold as USD950.- Will you buy it?

No way! For US$ 300,- I would perhaps consider it. Perhaps.

F0.95 wrote:
It is made in China, same producer of SLR MAGIC ...

And that is the other reason why I woudn't buy it. The aperture of my SLR Magic 1.7/35 just fell into pieces the other day!!
It's kind of OK for a lens that is available for US$ 50,- but this doesn't have me putting any trust in that manufacturer. Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: MITAKON 35MM F0.95 E-MOUNT Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
F0.95 wrote:

F0.95 wrote:

And that is the other reason why I woudn't buy it. The aperture of my SLR Magic 1.7/35 just fell into pieces the other day!!
It's kind of OK for a lens that is available for US$ 50,- but this doesn't have me putting any trust in that manufacturer. Evil or Very Mad

Both the 0.95 and 1.9 version are made by the Mitakon. The SLR Magic 1.7/35 is made by a manufacturer. The 1.9/35 is about $120 and it may be worth to buy one if one have no other fast 35s.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I agree with what aleksander and fermy said.

Nice samples Laenee, it looks good stopped down.

Still, for it to be worth the 1k asking price it would have to outperform other options that cost less. The 0.95 aperture isn't a selling point for me, and has anyone actually measured the light transmittance? It might be T1.2, 1.3, 1.4, who knows.

Also, it needs to be proved it's properly constructed, that's unavoidable given the issues that arose with the SLRMagic lenses.

It is a T0.95 lens, pal. The f number is unknown, it could be a f0.9 or brighter.

Yeah it's soft wide open with a lot of aberration and has a "glow" that reduces the perceived sharpness.
But frankly, these problems are common with wide aperture lenses and I noticed quite the same characteristics on my Nikon Noct. 58 f1.2, and from samples I saw on the internet, the Canon 50 f0.95 fared a lot worse than this little buddy.

From a 0.95 point of view, it's optically acceptable, unique and affordable.

My only concern is the build quality, of which the feedback is a mixed-bag on Chinese forums.
There's talking about uneven coating in some cases, but not yet anyone reporting it falling apart or breaking.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: MITAKON 35MM F0.95 E-MOUNT Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
F0.95 wrote:

F0.95 wrote:

The SLR MAGIC 35 1.7 is TV lens with new casing, this Mitakon is an actual camera lens.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Member from Argentina! Thank you! Nice to see you here!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well actually it doesn't look worse than Cosina Voigtländer Nokton 50/1.1 which costs around the same.
But Nokton has an rangefinder coupling and FF coverage.

Also 950USD sounds a little too much for me as there's no RF coupling or FF coverage. 350-600$ and it should get get much more attractive.

Last edited by ForenSeil on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think you'd have to be a fool with too much money to buy this thing.

I agree, if it was 300usd it would be perhaps worth a gamble.

As it stands, 1000usd is simply exploiting the stupidity of people.

I wonder at what aperture do the corrections become acceptable? Wide open it's dire imho. It's not at all difficult to make an ultra fast lens, what is difficult is to make an ultra fast lens that is also highly corrected. Clearly the makers of this lens have made it ultra fast but haven't bothered much about the corrections, for me, such an item is not worth much, definitely not 1000usd.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot wide open with ultra fast lens , rich amateur hobby, 900 USD price serve it more well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
Well actually it doesn't look worse than Cosina Voigtländer Nokton 50/1.1 which costs around the same.
But Nokton has an rangefinder coupling and FF coverage.

Also 950USD sounds a little too much for me as there's no RF coupling or FF coverage. 350-600$ and it should get get much more attractive.

Nokton is also made by a reputable company with a long track record and is backed by the warranty that you can put some stock into.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I still think you'd have to be a fool with too much money to buy this thing.

I agree, if it was 300usd it would be perhaps worth a gamble.

As it stands, 1000usd is simply exploiting the stupidity of people.

I wonder at what aperture do the corrections become acceptable? Wide open it's dire imho. It's not at all difficult to make an ultra fast lens, what is difficult is to make an ultra fast lens that is also highly corrected. Clearly the makers of this lens have made it ultra fast but haven't bothered much about the corrections, for me, such an item is not worth much, definitely not 1000usd.

Little addition

For example the Leitz Noctilux series is good wide open and gets very good stoppped down.
Voigtländer Nokton 50/1.1 is almost as good wide open as the 4-10x more expensive Leitz counterparts but it doesn't get decent when stopped down at all. Even a simple 50mm F1.X Minolta MD/Canon FD/... generally beats the ~1000€ Nokton @ let's say F5.6 while the Nocticlux still beats them. Wide open IQ is not everything - stopped down there can be also huge differences!
I had Voigtländer Nokton 50/1.1 and it was mainly a gimmick - good wide open for an F1.1 but nothing more! @F1.4 Minolta MD 50/1.4 beats at and @F2 even the old 1954 Summicron 50/2 and less than half as expensive is killing it in all optical aspects.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting. I could perhaps find a use for an ultrafast lens two of three times a year, so if that lens is also inferior to cheaper lenses when stopped down then it wouldn't be useful to me.

I enjoyed having a Canon 1.2/58 to play with for a while but when I had to give it back to it's owner I wasn't bothered, the Konica 1.4/57 was better I felt, even is not as fast, I didn't miss the extra speed as it came with the penalty of inferior levels of corrections.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:

Voigtländer Nokton 50/1.1 is almost as good wide open as the 4-10x more expensive Leitz counterparts but it doesn't get decent when stopped down at all.

I struggle to believe that a non-faulty double-Gauss lens would behave like that. Was it really unusable stopped down or were you simply disappointed that $1000 glass does not beat "simple Minolta MD/Canon FD" ( which are not that simple after all)?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nokton 1.1 is known to have focus shift, so perhaps it's because of that?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focus shift is caused by spherical abberation so I could well believe there is an issue with the level of correction, as I said, it is hard to make an ultrafast lens that is also highly corrected.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highly corrected from wide open to stopped down? Yes it's hard. Highly corrected stopped down and usable wide open? Not so hard, pretty much every top tier player had such a 50/1.2 lens. IMHO if a double Gauss lens does not improve significantly on stopping down, it's a sure sign of a faulty lens. I haven't seen a single such lens yet, have you?