Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Miranda D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Miranda D Reply with quote

Miranda D by Nesster, on Flickr

I bought this as a 50th birthday gift to my brother in law... who will appreciate this very much, but not use it as much as I would... and it is a very nice camera and lens indeed... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil I'm having thoughts: since he collects but doesn't use so much, maybe he'd be happy with just a Minolta 16 sub mini (he likes the sub minis)...

From the first roll, what else to shoot but another camera: a Kiev 4 (Hi, Attila) on Kodak ColorPlus 200 film

Kiev 4 by Nesster, on Flickr

one or two more from the first roll

As is apparent, the Soligor Miranda 5cm f/1.9 lens with the external aperture actuation is really good. The viewfinder is fresnel/ground glass only - the Miranda DR has the microprism - but I found it extremely positive to focus with. The camera in its half case feels good in the hand, secure and well balanced with good heft. I've been salivating for this particular sample for some 6 months now, since I first saw it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shoots! Especially KIEV-4 Laughing Laughing I hope I able to make a trip for my new toy KIEV-4.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... 2 more sample shots from the first roll...

Kiev 4 / Jupiter-8M by Nesster, on Flickr

FW: Steinheil Munchen Cassar1:2,9 f=7,5cm by Nesster, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and two more of the camera itself

Miranda D 3/4 view by Nesster, on Flickr

Miranda D back by Nesster, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Miranda looks to be in a fine condition. Pity to let it go to a display (nearly) only collector!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I resolved the giving issue: I found another D to give him, I like this one too much

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't blame you for keeping it. Its in beautiful shape.
Mirandas were very underappreciated I think.
I have no idea how well they were made or if they held up over time, but most these days seem to be in working condition, which should mean something.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great camera and sample shots.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a beautiful camera. It's too bad Miranda got stuck with an "off brand" image. Their cameras looked wonderful, and they pioneered many innovations amongst Japanese manufacturers.

I have a Sensomat, I'll dig for and get some pix sometime soon.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, indeed... though I don't think they were built to Nikon standards, there are very many that are still functioning well, it seems, so Miranda was doing something right!

Here are a couple more pics to illustrate what's what in early 60's Mirandas;

Double D - two Mirandas by Nesster, on Flickr

The second Miranda D is what I'll give to my brother in law. I see very many with this Auto Miranda 50/1.8 lens - these are not as convenient on this era bodies, as there's no auto aperture mechanism. The PAD lens is the most convenient, then a preset one; with the Auto Miranda you're direct dialing the aperture, i.e. having to open and close by hand. But then, this is no more inconvenient than many vintage lenses adapted to digital cameras.

Miranda topless by Nesster, on Flickr

This is the second Miranda topless - the little button next to the film reminder / rewind crank slides over to release the prism, which slides off towards the back. This era Mirandas did not have user replacable screens - the next generation had these - but you could fit a waist level (or 'chest level' as Miranda called it) or a critical focus (5x of the entire field, 50x of the center) view finder.

This also illustrates the way you select slow speeds - via the lever concentric with the fast speed selector. The lever overrides the other speed selection - so if you move it by accident, or have it set and forget about it, you get the slow speed. The X on the dial seems to indicate a flash sync of 1/45.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the one on the left also has the lower case font viewfinder, which I personally feel looks nicer than the later all caps font.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided I needed one too, peer pressure you know...

The diaphragm was stuck. Which is the same problem all of my miranda lenses have. Luckily it was pretty easy to get the glass out and flush the blades with lighter fluid. There was a considerable amount of oil on them, so much so I had to sponge it up with cotton swabs - a simple flush of lighter fluid wasn't going to work.

Let it air out overnight, and it seems to function ok now.

Overall it's a neat little camera. The quality is ok. In fit and finish it seems a little less than my Sensomat, which is only "average" for Japanese cameras - in my opinion. But it's not bad either. Mechanically it seems to be great though. All speeds still fire and sound accurate, and there's no capping or curtains dragging, which is a rarity for SLRs this old.

Even my Pentax H3 which was amazingly well finished - needed some shutter attention when I got it.

I'm expecting a teleconverter from ebay in the mail any day now - should be some fun. I'll make a thread for that when it gets here.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAMN! These are fine looking cameras, aren't they. And I really get a kick out of the PAD lens... unfortunately, there isn't much info on other PAD lenses, there's a Miranda Soligor 135 that I know of. I'd really love a 35mm PAD.

I even bought a 1961 Amphoto Miranda Guide, but even that didn't make a big deal of PAD.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They did make a 35mm PAD lens, according to the miranda camera site - it is more common to find it on the model DR. It was apparently introduced around the time the DR came out so it wouldn't have been in production for very long before the auto lenses arrived.

It's on my wish list too... In the meantime I have the later 28mm auto lens already in my collection.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful cams Jussi !

I remember when I was a poor student end of the 60´s this cam was one of my dream cams but not payable for me at that time.
2 years ago I found a complete set (cam and 3 lenses) supposed in good condition. But when the set arrived unfortunately I must find out that the cam was in very bad condition and I returned it.

Wink