Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mir 20m MC
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: Mir 20m MC Reply with quote

Heyo. I'm eyeing a particular Mir 20m multicoated version going at around US$100. Do you guys know anything about the Mir and whether that's a good price for it? I can't seem to find much info on it, but it seems to be a nice enough lens.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a fairly good price. I've never seen them go for anything under $150. You have to be aware of the fact that super-wides are very sensitive to scratches so if the price is due to "cleaning marks" or something of that nature than I say skip it.

I'm surprised to hear you haven't been able to find much on it. You will find numerous posts concerning the lens in this forum. A simple google or flickr search may yield quite a few results as well. Try tomtiger.com too. He has an article praising the older version of the lens. Good luck

~Marc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...maybe my search terms were all wrong. I did find something on a Mir 20mm fisheye. I don't think they're the same thing as this 20mm is rectilinear. From what I did find, this lens seems to be good with color rendition but somewhat soft.

From what I can tell, that lens isn't scratched or fungused or anything, but after I reconsidered what I'd get on my cropped body...I'm having second thoughts. I should save my money for the Peleng instead.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MIR 20M 3.5/20mm is rectilinear although some ebay listings describe it as a fisheye. There are two other MIR 20 mm lenses - the MIR 47 2.5/20mm and the MIR 73N 2.8/20mm now known as the Arsat N 2.8/20mm. Both are rectilinear. The MIR 73 exhibits quite pronounced barrel distortion but it's not a fisheye. I'm not sure about distortion in the MIR 47.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Mir 47 there is a post about it here and some images if you do a search. There appears to be little distortion but I do use it on a crop Pentax dslr, colour is great and its sharp enough , but it is big and heavy, I think the Mir 20 is a bit smaller, but obviously not as fast. As moleman says try Tom Tigers web site he reviews both on there and rates them highly. Very Happy