Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MIR-20 Journal * Updated with sample photos *
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: MIR-20 Journal * Updated with sample photos * Reply with quote

This is about the new lens I got recently. Its pretty long. Embarassed

Here :

On Tuesday, I went to the usual antique shop that I frequently go. The shop owner was excited to see me and told me he got good stuff for me. I asked him what it is; he told me it's a fisheye lens. That got me excited and when he was taking it out for me; the lens does resemble a fisheye lens. Upon closer look, it is not after all. It is just a 20mm f3.5 lens with huge front glass and head. I took it as I need a wide angle lens. The price was reasonable.

When I got home, I was enthusiastic to make the lens work on my E-510. The first thing I did was unscrewing the screws holding the mount plate. The mount looks interesting which I had not see before. Besides that, the lens lacks of aperture ring. I was intending to use my M42 or 4/3 mounting plate from my scrapped lenses for this lens. However, none of those mounting plates able to fit the lens mount as it is narrower. Then I tried putting it back and think of an alternative ways. While doing so, I accidentally turn the focus ring and lens head. Out of sudden, the lens fell off from the helicoids! Oh no! More problems!

It took me quite a long while to figure out how to put it back. I tried screwing it back into the helicoids, it works but the focus ring won’t move at all. The last resort was disassembled the whole lens, the glasses and retaining rings. This method works. I able to remove the “core” or main lens group to have a clearer view of the connections between the helicoids and the part holding the “core”. After 4 hours, I finally completed connecting back the helicoids and the part holding the “core” and thus focus ring is working again. The thing I learned was that the mount plate actually had the “stopper” for the part holding the “core” going beyond infinity. It is the main part or key locking everything in place. I was silly to remove it in the first place and by turning the focusing ring, the whole thing came apart.

Now I had it fixed back, the next issue was the mount. I went online and search for more clues about the mount. Initially, I got nothing, perhaps due to the Russian text on the lens. I went to search for Russian alphabet and realize that it is actually MIR-20 ABTOMAT or Automat, 20mm f-3.5. It is a lens for Kiev-10 and Kiev-15 cameras. The unique thing about this lens is that, the aperture was controlled by the Kiev cameras, thus explains the lack of aperture ring. It had 8-group 9-elements weighing 490g.

I was fortunate that the rear cap for this lens had the actual mount. I just need to unscrew the 4 screws holding the metal mount. I tried mount the metal mount on the lens itself and stuck on the mounting side of the 4/3 extension tube to see it fits. To my surprise, it got stuck! Now the whole mount was stuck firm, tight and secured on the mounting side of the 4/3 extension tube. I leave it as it is and tried mounting on E-510 and it works. The picture taken were soft though and not sharp at infinity. I wonder if I did not set the lens properly on the helicoids. Nevertheless, I am happy it works after all after so much trouble and time used.

Last edited by Krisgage on Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The photos

The rear lens cap

The mount

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: MIR-20 Journal Reply with quote

Krisgage wrote:
This is about the new lens I got recently. Its pretty long. Embarassed

Here :

On Tuesday, I went to the usual antique shop that I frequently go. The shop owner was excited to see me and told me he got good stuff for me. I asked him what it is; he told me it's a fisheye lens. That got me excited and when he was taking it out for me; the lens does resemble a fisheye lens. Upon closer look, it is not after all. It is just a 20mm f3.5 lens with huge front glass and head. I took it as I need a wide angle lens. The price was reasonable.

When I got home, I was enthusiastic to make the lens work on my E-510. The first thing I did was unscrewing the screws holding the mount plate. The mount looks interesting which I had not see before. Besides that, the lens lacks of aperture ring. I was intending to use my M42 or 4/3 mounting plate from my scrapped lenses for this lens. However, none of those mounting plates able to fit the lens mount as it is narrower. Then I tried putting it back and think of an alternative ways. While doing so, I accidentally turn the focus ring and lens head. Out of sudden, the lens fell off from the helicoids! Oh no! More problems!

It took me quite a long while to figure out how to put it back. I tried screwing it back into the helicoids, it works but the focus ring won’t move at all. The last resort was disassembled the whole lens, the glasses and retaining rings. This method works. I able to remove the “core” or main lens group to have a clearer view of the connections between the helicoids and the part holding the “core”. After 4 hours, I finally completed connecting back the helicoids and the part holding the “core” and thus focus ring is working again. The thing I learned was that the mount plate actually had the “stopper” for the part holding the “core” going beyond infinity. It is the main part or key locking everything in place. I was silly to remove it in the first place and by turning the focusing ring, the whole thing came apart.

Now I had it fixed back, the next issue was the mount. I went online and search for more clues about the mount. Initially, I got nothing, perhaps due to the Russian text on the lens. I went to search for Russian alphabet and realize that it is actually MIR-20 ABTOMAT or Automat, 20mm f-3.5. It is a lens for Kiev-10 and Kiev-15 cameras. The unique thing about this lens is that, the aperture was controlled by the Kiev cameras, thus explains the lack of aperture ring. It had 8-group 9-elements weighing 490g.

I was fortunate that the rear cap for this lens had the actual mount. I just need to unscrew the 4 screws holding the metal mount. I tried mount the metal mount on the lens itself and stuck on the mounting side of the 4/3 extension tube to see it fits. To my surprise, it got stuck! Now the whole mount was stuck firm, tight and secured on the mounting side of the 4/3 extension tube. I leave it as it is and tried mounting on E-510 and it works. The picture taken were soft though and not sharp at infinity. I wonder if I did not set the lens properly on the helicoids. Nevertheless, I am happy it works after all after so much trouble and time used.

Congratulations!!!

Sure that you spent time and answered complicated questions.

Well done, man!!

What about the controlled apertures? Did you think anything to resolved it?

Good luck, and show pics please.

Rino.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rino. I don't think there is a way of controlling the aperture. I leave it as it is.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today is bright, scorching hot, sunny day over here in Singapore. I decided to take the lens for test runs. Here are some photos taken in town. All taken with the focus ring set at infinity.

New shopping center call iluma. Nope, not connected to Illuminati in Angels and Demons movie. Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indian temple

Chinese temple

National Museum

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suprisingly, this lens able to do wee bits of close-up too. Here are some photos taken.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if I did not set the infinity correctly or what, it seems i set it at infinity , i could just shoot it without turning the focusing ring unless it is closer subject Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krisgage wrote:
Thanks Rino. I don't think there is a way of controlling the aperture. I leave it as it is.

Russian masters did it.
http://club.foto.ru/forum/view_topic.php?topic_id=382649&mode=l&page=2
(post 08.06.2009 13:58:30 and 08.06.2009 16:22:14)
But in my opinion to buy Mir-20 with a carving on М42 easier. IMHO.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kamerer wrote:
Krisgage wrote:

Russian masters did it.
http://club.foto.ru/forum/view_topic.php?topic_id=382649&mode=l&page=2
(post 08.06.2009 13:58:30 and 08.06.2009 16:22:14)
But in my opinion to buy Mir-20 with a carving on М42 easier. IMHO.

Thanks for the link. I cannot read russian, can you help to explain? Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krisgage wrote:

Thanks for the link. I cannot read russian, can you help to explain? Thanks

I will try, the author wrote on memory, it was very much for a long time.

"Jupiter-11 Avtomat for Kiev-10/15. Any more I do not remember, how this petal from a tin has connected to a lead, soldered or a rivet, but I remember that it was on the bearing, I have thrown out balls, have collected simply, a finger it was possible to move a lead and without balls."

"The petal is deduced outside and will round round a shaft. As it is attached and where has spent on drink in a shaft - I do not remember, already almost 30 years have passed."

p.s. I once too put an objective of this system on М42 (Helios-81), but without a diaphragm drive.
http://www.penta-club.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=35746&hl=гелиос-81
http://www.penta-club.ru/forum/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=23009