Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mir 1B on Aps-c?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Mir 1B on Aps-c? Reply with quote

I'm looking for an affordable MF "standard" lens on my Canon 40d and thinking about a M1B 2.8 / 37 - which would give me 50 mm @ crop and an almost "normal" FOV.
However, I picked up some rumors about the rear lens of the Mir 1B @ infinity protruding into the camera body and eventually hitting the mirror.
Is this fact ot fantasy - and if fact, does it only happen on FF camera's or also on aps-c?
Finally: how are IQ, sharpness and color rendering of this lens? I know it probably won't be stellar, but sharp and interesting is good enough for me.
If the Mir is a definite don't, what other lens should I look for? I could tape my Sigma 17 - 70 in the 35 mm position, but I'm looking for lenses with the old photography feel - from back when photographer made the picture instead of the camera Wink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will give you 60mm, as the crop factor is x1.6.
It's a great lens for the price, but I'd recommend you Mir 24, which btw will give you 55mm and a fast (f2.0) apperture.

Btw, thery's some topics where Mir 24/Mir 1B are compared to Flectogon 35.
You can use search Wink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great lens, no issue on my 50D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great lens indeed. Excellent colour rendering and reasonably sharp wide open (and very sharp stopped down).

The only thing I don't like in this lens is the relatively long minimum focus distance (0.7m). But this won't trouble you if you are not interested in close-up (besides there are always extensions tubes for that).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

30mm lens will give you 48mm almost 50mm. I use Meyer Lydith 30/3.5 and I like it so much. I sold my Mir 1b, I don't like it, not easy to focus.
Lydith is the same as Pentacon 30/3.5

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a Mir24 35/2 - nothing else compares in that price range

Available in M42 mount and Nikon mount so you even have choice

Great contrast, insane bokeh (out of focus area), reasonable cost if you find a reasonable seller

One of the best lenses I have ever used ... here are some test shots ->

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dementedjesus/sets/72157623766494146/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vulko wrote:
It's a great lens for the price, but I'd recommend you Mir 24, which btw will give you 55mm and a fast (f2.0) apperture.

You can use search Wink

- Totally with vulko on this one!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since my last post I have set my first steps on the "affordable standard lens" path: I bought a Pentacon 30/3,5 - 50/3,5 on a crop 40d.
Been trying it out for a bit, and I might very well want something faster, shorter, wider etc. But I'd like your opinions on the quality of this one.
1:

2:

3:

(Click on photo's for large sizes. Only minor raw pp: added some contrast and a little bit of color)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vulko wrote:

You can use search Wink

+1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentacon 30mm is a great lens I love it. I think you shoots show it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the shot of old building
Quote:
very well want something faster, shorter, wider etc.

means icreasing price Very Happy get Flektogon or Summicron