Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta Rokkor PG 50mm f/1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Minolta Rokkor PG 50mm f/1.4 Reply with quote

What a great lens. I still haven't been able to convert the mount, and may never, but at least now I'm getting to use the lens. I had one of the optical adapters that I really don't like using. It's not bad, but it definitely degrades the lens, so I've concluded that it doesn't make sense for me. I removed the glass from the adapter and it now serves as an extension tube of sorts. The working distance is now quite short with the focus range being approximately seven to nine inches from the front of the lens - and that's only an estimate.

I've had this Rokkor for 36 years (jeesh, that makes me sound old) and always liked the results, but in the film days it was hard to fully evaluate a lens. Now using this Rokkor in near macro mode it has surprised me with not only its sharpness, but colors and "dynamic range". I don't think a lens is really capable of giving dynamic range, but for whatever reason, I have found that this lens isn't washing out the highs like in my other close focus attempts and I'm getting more detail in dark areas as well.

Here's a 33% crop picture of an orchard spider that I've been photographing all summer:

The same spider at f/2.8:

Dragonfly mild crop:

Whatever they are at f/1.4:

Another bad boy (sorry, I had underexposed):

And a small flower followed by a 100% crop:

Last edited by woodrim on Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious what body did you use? I just converted an MD Rokkor-X 50/1.4...very nice lens.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a SONY A200. I would need to trim 1mm from the registration. If using an M42 adapter, I need to trim nearly 2mm to compensate for the <1mm adapter.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what the mount looks like...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's the MC (pre MD) still a great lens, but it's possible there were some improvements to coatings in the MD (last manual focus series) plus the aperture was engineered better in the MD...I like the second gen. MD lenses myself.

Yep, I've got two of these MC 50/1.4's and I'll be using an M39-EOS adapter and doing this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/andddre/sets/72157623018600542/with/4113551278/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have numerous Minolta MC & MD lenses, and most of the primes are very good.

Some of them are exceptional:
Minolta MD Rokkor 85mm F2 (probably my very best Minolta lens)
Minolta MC Rokkor 58mm F1.4 (I have a few of these, and 2 are very good and one is exceptional!!)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are those lenses easy adaptable for sony alpha mount?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the second picture, you can't see the web!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vulko wrote:
Are those lenses easy adaptable for sony alpha mount?

If they were, I'd have done it already. Motleypixel provided a link to an excellent tutorial on how to convert to Canon. I suppose the same approach can be taken to convert to A-mount, but it looks scary to me as someone that does not have metal working equipment, not to mention all those tiny and hard to see parts.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviving another old post with recent pictures now that I have the NEX-5N. This old Rokkor has been with me for 40 years.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the MD version, I've tried it on the XD7's and like it a lot, I'm just waiting for a MD adapter to arrive any day now so I can try it on my NEX.
It's the lens I'm looking forward to trying the most, and your pictures just reinforce that.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love your spider shots. and the bridge(s).
Lovely colors on scary creature.

I don't think there is any bad 50mm.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:

I don't think there is any bad 50mm.

True, but this one is not just not bad: actually it's my favorite 50 in my collection.
The only problem is that I can't mount it properly on my Sony dslr: I have to choose between losing infinity or keeping glass in the adapter, that makes the lens unusable wide open.

Really nice shots, btw.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the challenge of adaptors.

Cases of wide open at infinity shot are rare then.
Personally, I rather lose infinity than use a glass adapter.
I recall that 58/1.4 had less good review/opinion and turn out to be good after my tastes.
Except for older lenses, some with swirly and/or harsh bokeh in certain distances, all 50-58 i tested are good.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for comments. I will be using this lens more now that I can use it in normal ways. The earlier pictures were the close-ups when I was limited by adapter on Sony A200 DSLR. I originally tried the adapter with corrective glass and didn't like the results, so I removed the glass and used it as a straight adapter for close-ups. I've just gone back and edited my earlier pictures to defeat hosting compression and provide a better image.

I also have the MC Rokkor-X PF 50/1.7 and several others at the focal length. I'm curious myself in making some comparisons. Possible candidates include:
58/1.8 Topcor
58/2 Helios
55/1.4 Mamiya Sekor
50/1.4 Hexanon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
I see the challenge of adaptors...

Challenges need to be solved Smile
Cause I got some Minolta lenses I want to use on EOS I thought an experimented regarding adapting Minolta lenses to Canon
, and made an adapter. The lens need to be infinity adjusted, and the iris lever must be removed (this could be reversible or with force). But it can still be used on the Minolta cameras - only without all the iris automation.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Possible candidates include:
58/1.8 Topcor
58/2 Helios
55/1.4 Mamiya Sekor
50/1.4 Hexanon

The Mamiya 55/1.4 is very good. I dont have the 3 other.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
Challenges need to be solved Smile

I am not yet at your level of modification, may be one day Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more from the Rokkor...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly a very fine lens. Thanks for all of the samples

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like all images from the last series. Beautiful.

Very nice output from sony.
I have this lens too, but never try it out.
Would you mind to note f-stop? Never mind if that's difficult. I try out my copy soon. Thanks-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
I like all images from the last series. Beautiful.

Very nice output from sony.
I have this lens too, but never try it out.
Would you mind to note f-stop? Never mind if that's difficult. I try out my copy soon. Thanks-

I was shooting in the f/6.3 to f/8 range with the last one at maybe f/2.8-ish. In this environment it is sometimes difficult to shoot for shallow depth of field as the sun is very bright and my camera is limited by ISO100 and 1/4000. Sometimes I have to stop down until I get to below 1/4000.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gpt the NEX - MD adapter the other day and the first priority was to try this lens, and what a lens !!!

I'm a bit busy, but I won't fprget this thread, I will post pictures. This is a stunning lens. Cool

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm impressed.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:

I was shooting in the f/6.3 to f/8 range with the last one at maybe f/2.8-ish. In this environment it is sometimes difficult to shoot for shallow depth of field as the sun is very bright and my camera is limited by ISO100 and 1/4000. Sometimes I have to stop down until I get to below 1/4000.

Have you tried using an nd filter or polarizer (poor man's nd - gives 2-3 stops less light!)?

You can maintain shallow depth of field even in bright sunshine. polarizer can work nicely on dreamy waterfalls too.

You might get slight loss of iq - really subjective I think.

regarding alpha mods - Jim Buchanan specializes in Minolta lens conversions - maybe worth a shout for info even tho he mainly deals with leica/eos www.jimbuchananspace.com/Camera_Services.html .

Last edited by Larnus on Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:14 am; edited 1 time in total