Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta Rokkor MC 1.4/58 on Canon EOS 5D?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Minolta Rokkor MC 1.4/58 on Canon EOS 5D? Reply with quote

I've just picked up this lens through a BIN for not a lot of money and am curious as to whether or not it'll work on the 5D?

There are many conflicting opinions out there on the Internet, and I don't really want to spend €30.00 on an adapter for something that may not work Wink

If there's anybody here with real-time experience of MC/MD mount lenses on their EOS, I'd be very grateful to hear about it.

Thanks in advance guys.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that MC Rokkor-PF 58/1.4?

If so, you can convert it relatively easily.
The result from this lens is not bad at all, although I prefer
MC Rokkor-PG 50/1.4 personally.

PF 58/1.4's bokeh is nice as its big brother PF 58/1.2's, and
the lens is pretty sharp after F2.8.

Here is my page, which has five links to each lens photos>
http://www.pbase.com/kkawakami/mctoef_mount_conversion

This page is "conversion" page, the first link takes you to examples
for Rokkor-PF 58/1.4.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a conversion kit for a 1.2/58 from Jim Buchanon at FM.
He has one available for the 1.4/58 also.
The beauty of the kit is it is ready to install and reversible.
Cost was Under $60 in the US including shipping.
Our member Bawang brought it to my attention.
You may want to search the threads there for info.

Be warned that the 1.2/58 does interfere with the 5D mirror at infinity (mine is now shaved).
It's possible and in fact probable the 1.4/58 will also have trouble.

Andy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the lens interferes with 5D's mirror as Andy mentioned.
So my shooting examples are all done with EOS 350D, I have no
examples with 5D (mirror shaved now).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koji wrote:
Is that MC Rokkor-PF 58/1.4?

If so, you can convert it relatively easily.
The result from this lens is not bad at all, although I prefer
MC Rokkor-PG 50/1.4 personally.

PF 58/1.4's bokeh is nice as its big brother PF 58/1.2's, and
the lens is pretty sharp after F2.8.

Here is my page, which has five links to each lens photos>
http://www.pbase.com/kkawakami/mctoef_mount_conversion

This page is "conversion" page, the first link takes you to examples
for Rokkor-PF 58/1.4.

Thanks for all this great information and the link - and yes, it's the PF version of this lens - I'm meeting the guy tomorrow to pick it up. He's also got a 2.8/135 MD for a reasonable price, would that be worth having also?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the link to the FM thread

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/726277

I don't think that the 2.8/135 offers anything so special that would warrant mangling it. The convertion is not so simple as the two 58mm lenses.

Cheers
Andy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Here is the link to the FM thread

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/726277

I don't think that the 2.8/135 offers anything so special that would warrant mangling it. The convertion is not so simple as the two 58mm lenses.

Cheers
Andy

Thanks Andy - I'm gonna hold off on the 135, God knows, they're not something I'm exactly short of at the moment!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm gonna hold off on the 135, God knows, they're not something I'm exactly short of at the moment!

Laughing
That seems to be true for most of us!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey malachy, i will have a spare rokkor 58 1.2 in the coming days if u fancy another meet. Did you find ur stuff? Conor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

conor12 wrote:
Hey malachy, i will have a spare rokkor 58 1.2 in the coming days if u fancy another meet. Did you find ur stuff? Conor

Hey dude, welcome back from the mainland.

No sign of my stuff - but a 1.2/58 might go a long way toward cheering me up Laughing

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone here use the MC ROKKOR 58/1.2 on a 5DMK2? And if so, could you post some photos samples.

I currently have two MC ROKKOR 58/1.4's that I will combine best parts and build one good one to use on my 5DMK2 and if anyone has any 5D or 5DMK2 shots with the 58/1.4 then that would be great too.

Also, is there really any difference between PG and PF? I thought it was just a marketing thing, like PG=Proctor and Gamble etc.

I need good evidence before buying Jim Buchanan's $75 EOS adapter.

Thanks,
Roy

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

motleypixel wrote:
Anyone here use the MC ROKKOR 58/1.2 on a 5DMK2? And if so, could you post some photos samples.

I currently have two MC ROKKOR 58/1.4's that I will combine best parts and build one good one to use on my 5DMK2 and if anyone has any 5D or 5DMK2 shots with the 58/1.4 then that would be great too.

Also, is there really any difference between PG and PF? I thought it was just a marketing thing, like PG=Proctor and Gamble etc.

I need good evidence before buying Jim Buchanan's $75 EOS adapter.

Thanks,
Roy

58/1.2 is grand. Buys the adapter.
Wide Open ISO 1000

f 4 or 5.6 with flash

f4 or 5.6

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. I don't have the 1.2 only two decent 1.4's that will soon become one very nice 1.4.

Now Jim's adapter the the 1.4 is different from the 1.2 right? I asked him this question but I haven't heard back yet. I'm assuming the backend of these two lenses are different.

Now I know it's likely that the rear element will hit my 5DMK2 mirror at infinity focus correct? I know I can adjust infinity focus with the 3 screws on the front of the lens (you have to take the lens cowling off the front) and it's 3 for the 1.4 but 4 screws for the 1.2. But I'm not sure if this would work as good as actually adjusting the depth of the helicoid screwing into the focus ring. Any thoughts on this?

I guess what I would like to accomplish is a hard stop to infinity focus (but not having the element at true infinity) so it won't hit my mirror. I don't plan to use the lens at infinity focus but it's that worry that I may travel too far, esp. using a follow focus for video. And really even if it does block my mirror, it most likely won't damage it right?

Thanks,
Roy

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the same thing, the optical group complete, moves backward in the approach to infinite, If the mount has a difference in some tenths it is corrected from 3 front screws.
In my lens it touches the mirror and I believe that I lack two tenths in order that this does not happen. I believe that I can correct it extracting two more tenths to the ring adjustment of the last element.
The danger is that the back glasses remains very exposed.
Even this way, it costs the effort..
Good luck

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help in this matter. I received my second Rokkor 58mm 1.4 and it’s in superb condition. I just ordered a custom made adapter from Jim Buchannan and once it arrives I’ll do some tests and perhaps post them here.

How do I measure or know that IF the rear elements will hit the mirror? Again, if this does occur it won’t hurt my mirror correct? Like you said the main danger is only the rear elements?

Thanks,
Roy

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, when the mirror touches on the lens locks the machine. Then your focus at 60 cm. the group is going forward and unlocks. You turn off and turn on the camera. And corrected from the three front screws and try again.
But 58/1.4, I do not know if it touches Rolling Eyes

If it hits the mirror, to correct the focus to infinity, only then you should think about shaving the adjustment ring, of the last lens.
Good Luck.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a MD 1.4/50mm Rokkor lens, it was already converted to Eos mount. No problems at all with the 5D, doesn't hit mirror. great stuff Cool

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humm yea 50/1.4...I just hope the 58/1.4 behaves the same.

hexi, do you know how yours was converted to EOS? Any recommended adapters? I might consider the 50/1.4 too.

-Roy

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the PF 58/1.4 EOS converted through Jim Buchanan's mailable kit. It doesn't hit on my rebel of course but it does hit on my friends 5D II. I think you need to shave some of the metal retaining ring down. Jim does that but it will cost you a few extra nickels.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy, i don't know how it was converted, it had it already done. Maybe the seller may help > maxler.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up two of these lenses. One from a garage sale for $5 (moderate wear and oil on the aperture blades) and one from eBay for $35 (great condition with slight oil on the blades). I disassembled each lens and cleaned the aperture assy with a Naphthalene bath (this fixed the sluggish/oily aperture assy) and then combined the best parts. Of course I topped it off with a finely machined MD to EOS adapter from Jim Buchanan. This is a gem of a lens, but boy would I love to have the 1:1.2 version.

Right now I have infinity focus adjust to a mere 15ft because beyond that adjustment the rear element group assy blocks the mirror movement in my Canon 5D Mark II. Since both lenses have very good rear element assys I plan to turn off about 2mm of the rear circumference area of the element group (the metal housing, not the glass) in hopes to bring me closer to infinity focus. Right now 15ft is a little close for comfort…I would like to achieve at least 25ft.

Initial tests here all at f/1.4. Now that I have my EG-S super precision focus screen installed and my focus screen shims calibrated I can attain critical focus at shallow apertures much easier. I think the test results are more than satisfactory. The CA is kept at a minimum which is often a problem at these shallow apertures. The center of frame sharpness at 1.4 is decent and at f/2 the sharpness extends much further to the edges.

Samples all at 1.4 except for the laptop shot which was f/2 I think:

Full resolution of these here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/motleypixel/sets/72157623985618871/

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 58/1.2 and have lowered the adjustment ring on the last glass. The infinite reaches 10 Mts. I can still down two tenths of a millimeter more and become infinite. Smile

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy wrote:
Samples all at 1.4 except for the laptop shot which was f/2 I think

congrats Roy, great results

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

francotirador, did you remove the glass element before you ground down the outer edge of the housing? I would feel more comfortable removing the last captive ring (unscrewing it) and taking out that element and then grind away.

How did you do it? it seems that holding it flat on say wet/dry sandpaper would work and take a long time but actually going at it at an angle seem better.

Thanks!
Roy

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. It is not necessary that you extract the glass, only he withdraws the ring bronze. I smoothed it with a sandpaper, thin grain. An important thing, you must sand more in the top part, where it touches the mirror.
The ring must not be more under than the glass for if it returns to touch the mirror, do it on the metal.
I hope that it is understood well.
I was never good with the language of shakespeare..

Be very careful. The bronze is sanded very easily.