Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MD zoom 70-210mm in the winter dusk
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Minolta MD zoom 70-210mm in the winter dusk Reply with quote

You know the feeling when you haven't push-pulled in a while? When that need came to me I swingd out my old Minolta long gun.

Sony a7 and tripod.

It's a damn good lens!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots! It is indeed a fantastic zoom!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely shot. I have its successor ( I think ) the 70-210 "beercan" in AF. I take it and the 35-70 when I want to travel light. Goes to show there are SOME good zooms from back in the day. Recently I picked up a Konica 80-200 I have yet to try. Set me back a whole 15 USD.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
Great shots! It is indeed a fantastic zoom!

Thank you!
Here is a 100% crop of the first photo, I'd say it's in prime territory!

jamaeolus wrote:
Nicely shot. I have its successor ( I think ) the 70-210 "beercan" in AF. I take it and the 35-70 when I want to travel light. Goes to show there are SOME good zooms from back in the day. Recently I picked up a Konica 80-200 I have yet to try. Set me back a whole 15 USD.

I've heard many positive things about the AF minoltas. The beercan is a pirme (zoom) example Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shall get one of these lenses, there is no excuse for not having one. Laugh 1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned the AF version since 1993. It is a great lens, a must have for all A mount users imho. Really shines on my a850.

It actually outperforms the modern Canon L 4/80-200.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice winter coulours , Blotafton.

This zoom works pretty well with an A7 but I don't like to make pictures when it is too cold outside !
Some shots in South Africa :

http://forum.mflenses.com/rokkor-md-70-210-with-a7-t73593.html

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I have owned the AF version since 1993. It is a great lens, a must have for all A mount users imho. Really shines on my a850.

It actually outperforms the modern Canon L 4/80-200.

Have you made or seen a comparison ?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bring up an old post. I'm looking to buy one of these Minolta MD 70-210/f4 (beercan's dad).

The OP said he used it with an A7 on a tripod. I know modern big telephoto lenses often come with a lens collar, so weight can be evenly distributed on a tripod to minimize vibration. This MD 70-210/f4 doesn't have a collar. I plan to use it with a Minolta film body.

If I attach the tripod to the film camera, with this 70-210/f4 on the camera body, the weight of the whole set-up would be on one side of the tripod mount, basically. Not evenly distributed and this lens is pretty long. I imagine a set-up like this is more susceptible to vibration, especially shooting at the 210mm end.

How do y'all usually mount the beercan and similar lenses (neither too big nor small) on a tripod? Do y'all just attach it to the camera body and set the body on the tripod mount? Have you had any vibration issues using it with a tripod?

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! This brings back memories.
I simply put the camera on a tripod with no support for the lens. It's a bit heavy for the original A7, 643g without adapter. There is flex in the mount but who cares. 2 second self timer was enough. The film cameras has pretty solid mounts. But the X-300, X-700 etc. has a bit of flex.

I still have the lens and haven't found anything better. But I've just ordered a MD 75-150mm. This one is said to be even better and it should be lighter. Could be a good alternative if 150mm is enough.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
Hello! This brings back memories.
I simply put the camera on a tripod with no support for the lens. It's a bit heavy for the original A7, 643g without adapter. There is flex in the mount but who cares. 2 second self timer was enough. The film cameras has pretty solid mounts. But the X-300, X-700 etc. has a bit of flex.

I still have the lens and haven't found anything better. But I've just ordered a MD 75-150mm. This one is said to be even better and it should be lighter. Could be a good alternative if 150mm is enough.

Thank you for the reply! Might need the extra reach. I imagine with A7 one can use faster shutter speed as ISO can be bumped pretty high. The faster shutter speed might negate the issue of weight imbalance/vibration.

I'll use my XD body at least, since it's all metal. Hope that will make the "flex" less of an issue.

Would be nice to have a support system for this lens and a film body.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My A7II has a decent metal lens mount that seems to cope with the heavy lenses like the Beercan and the LA-EA4 adapter, but I do use it as 'a lens with a camera at the back' rather than a 'camera with a big heavy lens' - I hold the lens and the camera.

My A6000 had the plastic lens mount and I changed it to the Fotodiox Tough Mount within weeks of buying the camera, it was the best thing I bought!

Another good accessory is the the Fotga lens support, or something similar. https://www.amazon.com/FOTGA-Telephoto-Release-Long-Focus-Support/dp/B07DDFY3DZ/ref=pd_vtp_421_1/138-1117115-8674150?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07DDFY3DZ&pd_rd_r=8daa60c4-e7a4-48dd-b144-be5ca31e52ee&pd_rd_w=oRIei&pd_rd_wg=DLGx6&pf_rd_p=fd9c75b4-43e6-4220-9b33-6739e84937cc&pf_rd_r=BBS64Q38NZWXTE0TVK6N&psc=1&refRID=BBS64Q38NZWXTE0TVK6N