Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MD Rokkor 4/200
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Minolta MD Rokkor 4/200 Reply with quote

I purchased this lens after reading reviews on a German Rokkor site. Having been a Minolta user since more than 40 years, yet having remarkably few Rokkor lenses, I thought I would give some more a try. This lens appealed to me as a lens regarded highly at wide open. I like shooting my subjects with a 200mm shallow depth, but sometimes want a little more in focus without the shape of the iris showing in highlights. I thought this might be good for that. My other 200mm lenses are the Series 1 f/3 and Komura f/3.5. I've only taken a few quick snaps around the yard with this Rokkor, so that is all I have to go by at the moment. I do need to take it out and do my usual type photography with it until making any final conclusions. My initial assessment is that while sharper than the Komura, it isn't as sharp as the Series 1. Bokeh will go to the Komura with no judgment yet between Rokkor and Series 1.

I do actually have two other 200mm lenses that I haven't used because of being much slower, but perhaps I should pull them out again to make an assessment of all. The other two are Kashimura Dianon 4.5/200 and Topcor 5.6/200.

Here are the initial Rokkor test shots all at wide open f/4:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May be its not the world best, but the lens does the job pretty well. Nice samples!
Lately I acquired a Rokkor 300mm 5.6 and it was a nice surprise. Good to handle (better transportable then my Tair) and sharp results.
If enough light available ofcourse. Only tryed on film sofar.
At least your 200mm is somewhat faster!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photos, hope you enjoy the lens.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice photos thanks for sharing, I also have the F4 and the F3.5 and not any discernable difference between them, would love to get my hands on a 2.8 though Smile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was very much influenced by the opinions and comments at the German site on Rokkor lenses. I have now had an opportunity to use the lens in real life and can say more about it. It performs nicely and there is little difference in sharpness from f/4 to f/8, which is consistent with what had been said at the German site. There is some red variety of CA that occurs at f/4. I much prefer blue fringing as it is easier to fix. While the lens is indeed very good, I would not consider it one to run out and buy immediately.

I took the lens to one of my most frequently visited places, Shem Creek, and did the same type photography as I do with many other lenses. I also took along my Topcor 5.6/200, but left my 3/200 Series 1 at home because I already have plenty of pictures from it. With the Rokkor and Topcor I took many of the same pictures, almost all at wide open. While there is a full stop difference in the two lenses, since I want to use the lens wide open, it seemed a fair comparison. Since the Rokkor was highly touted and the Topcor was widely considered an under-performer in the Topcor line, I was surprised at the results. Both are very good, but the Topcor performed a little better in each comparison. And to my surprise, the Topcor seemed easier to focus. After processing the images and making some comparisons, I then included one of my wide open f/3 Series 1 images. The Series 1 clearly outperforms both of the others. So the only thing gained by the Rokkor and Topcor is that they are smaller and lighter and I can shoot at f/4 or f/5.6 without getting hexagon shaped highlights.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice samples, it's a great compact tele lens with IQ much like its Nikon, Canon FD, Konica cousins...