Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MINOLTA MD MACRO ROKKOR-X 3.5/100
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an extender on it's way from Germany, the first one I've seen for sale without a lens. And I got lucky, I was the only bidder. Very Happy I don't think there's any technical difference between the the 3.5 and 4, although they are engraved for each lens, and the lenses are quite different I think? Maybe the f4 version would work? Thanks anyway Dnas. Cool

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, nice to have the set completed!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I have an extender on it's way from Germany, the first one I've seen for sale without a lens. And I got lucky, I was the only bidder. Very Happy I don't think there's any technical difference between the the 3.5 and 4, although they are engraved for each lens, and the lenses are quite different I think? Maybe the f4 version would work? Thanks anyway Dnas. Cool

I wouldn't expect any difference between the extenders for the 100/3.5 & 100/4 macros.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The extender has just arrived, and it's mint - I don't think it's ever been used. Very happy ! Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: question Reply with quote

What if we mount that extender to a regular Rokkor, let say 135 2.8 ? Will it have infinity focus while enjoying reduced mfd?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
The extender has just arrived, and it's mint - I don't think it's ever been used. Very happy ! Very Happy

How much did you get it for?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: question Reply with quote

listera wrote:
What if we mount that extender to a regular Rokkor, let say 135 2.8 ? Will it have infinity focus while enjoying reduced mfd?

The extender is is not a teleconverter, it's a matched extension tube. That means there will be no infinity focus when you use it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that's so, what is the virtue of using the matching one instead of a regular and durable extension tube?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is indeed just a tube, no optics. I does have a tripod mount which is essential for the very heavy lens. I do have a set of tubes with 36, 20, and 12mm tubes, but the genuine Minolta is a single 50mm tube so I couldn't get the right length with the set.
It's nice to have the right one as together with the lens they still fetch a very good price. I got the extender for £28 ( 40 Euro ) including postage. But I'm unlikely to sell it on, this will be something I use.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

listera wrote:
If that's so, what is the virtue of using the matching one instead of a regular and durable extension tube?

There is no difference except the length may be different.
A matched set(lens and 1:1 extender) will be worth more, the main reason is to get a calibrated 1:1 life size, not just close to it, if you know the magnification ratio, you can reproduce in print a life-size representation.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm already liking this, I always knew it was a great lens. Getting the extender just made it better. Cool

No PP except a slight contrast adjustment on the yellow flower picture.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great fun, isn't it ??

Lovely shots !

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mir wrote:
Great fun, isn't it ??

Lovely shots !

it certainly is a fun lens, and a very satisfying lens. It does exactly what it was designed to do - work with the extender. I also have the Rokkor X 100 / 2.5, which is superb, in a completely different way. It's smaller, lighter and is one of the best 100mm lenses that I've tried. But it's closest focus is about 1 meter. And that it not a criticism, the lens is wonderful.
The 100 / 3.5 Macro however seems to be designed with macro as its main focus. I've used the lens over the last few years as a 100mm lens, but always gone back to the 2.5 or the many 135mm's that I've got, I always knew it was a good lens, but it is big and heavy and slow, not a lens to drop in your bag when going for a long hike in the woods.
The extender brings it to life, I've taken maybe 10 pictures with it today and it's been a joy to use. I can see me using this gem a lot more.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I've decided to sell my MD 100mm f3.5 macro, it's in mint condition, comes with its original extender and case, not sure of current worth so would appreciate some advice of value, it looks like it hasn't been used.