Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MD 35-105mm f/3.5-4.5 macro zoom
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Minolta MD 35-105mm f/3.5-4.5 macro zoom Reply with quote

I got a this lense with a bunch of other lenses and a mint looking X-700 Minolta film camera.

I sold everything else except this. All of the lenses had major fungus but this one also has decent chunks taken out of the front element along with obvious signs on the barrel that it had been dropped.

My initial intention was to keep this lens so I could practice lens surgery on it one day after buying all the proper screwdrivers and tools. Anyhow, today I did do so preliminary dismantling and managed to clean one element. I also did some research and what little I could find on the net is entirely good. One link claims it's Tokina manufacture.

http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/member-reviews/31308-minolta-md-35-105mm-f-3-5-4-5-macro-zoom.html

That got me thinking, so I a few quick tests and yes it does look like a very sharp lens. I have it on my Nikon D3200 so I'm not getting proper focus but images on camera look pretty good. I figured it's worth sharing here and keeping the information on the database for future reference.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some quick photographs of the lens in my iPhone

You can see the chips in the glass as well as the fungus but images I have taken still look ok.

I will post some decent samples tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's as good as the 35-70 / 3.5, which is currently my walkabout lens, it will be well worth keeping.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
If it's as good as the 35-70 / 3.5, which is currently my walkabout lens, it will be well worth keeping.

I can't judge on that and I only took a few shots. Early shots taken in low light look quite good. I will post more tomorrow as I'm not to well right now and have been laying down.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me a long time to work out how the macro switch worked. The zoom is push/pull and initially I didn't even notice this as its very firm and it was pushed back to 35mm. Once I managed to pull out the zoom to 105mm the macro switch worked a charm

Quote:
The special feature of this lens is the macro function! The whole lens can be extended to a rotating ring, which dramatically shortens the minimum focus distance, allowing a reproduction ratio of 1:4.

On my Nikon this button makes the lens go macro extreme.

Colour rendition looks very nice.

Last edited by parabellumfoto on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm-mhhm? It looks like Minolta (of course at the end, no one can tell where in Japan it was actually made, one big family enterprise one thinks)
with the macro cyan labeling and all

Maybe it's the same as the 35-105 (old, metal pipe) AF optically, people love that lens - I only have the plastic N version which is definitely different in optics, but very light and compact.
But youd have to ask an old Minolta expert for that. One who would never sell his only XG :P

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buerokratiehasser wrote:
Hmm-mhhm? It looks like Minolta (of course at the end, no one can tell where in Japan it was actually made, one big family enterprise one thinks)
with the macro cyan labeling and all

Maybe it's the same as the 35-105 (old, metal pipe) AF optically, people love that lens - I only have the plastic N version which is definitely different in optics, but very light and compact.
But youd have to ask an old Minolta expert for that. One who would never sell his only XG Razz

Yes this is the old metal pipe. There is no AF on this lens. It's in quite good condition apart from the big chips in the front glass. The filter ring is almost spotless but just on the metal rim of the focus ring it shows where it was dropped. Otherwise cosmetically it's quite good.

Fungus in the photographs is quite obvious and it is like this throughout the lens but it's mild and can be cleaned off.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is the MF version of the AF version made in 1985, it will have 14 elements in 12 groups and be a superb lens. Mine is the AF version which has a clunky focus, but is spot-on and pretty quick. The macro works very well, but of course is a close-up, not real macro. The later AF version made three years later in 1988 has 12 elements in 10 groups and is less highly regarded. People often refer to them as early or late versions, being careful to identify the early as the better of the two. I suspect the MF lens which preceded the 1985 version is identical optically. I've posted about this lens several times as the only AF lens, and only zoom that earns time on my camera. Every time I use it I'm amazed at its performance - this coming from someone with a strong bias toward MF primes.

To my knowledge, although we frequently learn of exceptions, Minolta made their own lenses at least up until the Konica merger. This picture is a good example of the 35-105 performance at full aperture and near the end of the zoom range. It was probably manually focused in macro mode due to the short distance.

1/320s f/4.5 at 100.0mm iso100

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Woodrim.

I thought this lens was useless and didn't even bother posting details here. Glad I did some research and re-checked performance. When I first got all I thought about was the big chips in the glass and the fungus. Now I will order the vacuum cups and callipers to open it up and clean it out.

There's another copy (I think) of this lens at the flea market I visit. I will have another look to next time I go there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many stunning shots taken and yes this lens has the goods.

I thought I would start with a shot taken almost directly into the sun to see how it handles direct sunlight. Image looks a bit flat but I really like the effect. It's almost ghostly.

First off, the full sized image brought down to 500 pixels

Now the 100% crop showing the veins and two holes in the top petal

More to come.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose this spider because the way the sun was shinning through what was a very shaded area. The spider was well hidden.

Most of the spider is out of focus but I am pretty sure the tiny eyes are in focus.

Nice smooth bokeh from this lens. Typical Minolta.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing lens~! Shocked