Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MD 35-105 F3.5-4.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:
Lack of sharpness on my pic close to 40mm seems to me only in extreme corners. My prime MD 35mm 2,8 does better here but is not perfect either since it suffers also, to a lesser extent, from field curvature.

Maybe the canon FD 35mm 2,8 has a flatter field here but on full frame I do not expect perfect corner sharpness under 50mm.

I recognize however that your copy is very much blurred, probably more than what is shown on the test you made with the 28 85. On my side corners of the 28 85 are worse than the ones with the 35 105.

As it seems - you can organize fight of your copy with any another from your collection. I think it will give many answers to you.
Even more - if you have 24mpx FF camera than you can repeat my test (short distance resolution) - with absolutely the same object and conditions. I specially publish the target and the description for such cases. It won't be true "head-tohead" but enough to see if the difference between two lenses is too big.

About the influence of field curvature, I recommend this article - hope it will help

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tf wrote:
Hi,

I finished the review of Minolta MD 35-105/3.5-4.5 (14x12)

Awful corners.. I even not sure that such results is OK and my copy hasn't defects

stevemark wrote:
I did a small test comparing the following lenses at 35mm / 50mm / 105mm and wide open, f5.6, and f11, checking corner performance at infinity. Camera: Sony A7 (24MP FF).

1) Canon nFD 3.5/35-105mm
2) Minolta MD-III 3.5-4.5/35-105mm [16L]
3) Minolta MD-III 3.5-4.5/35-105mm [14L]
4) Olympus 3.5-4.5/35-105mm (first version)
5) Tokina RMC 3.5-4.3/35-105mm [16L]

In the mean time, quite a few other 35-105m lenses have joined my little collection, e. g. the Nikkor AiS 3.5-4.5/35-105mm, and the corresponding Pentax A 35-105mm. Midrange zooms are notoriously difficult to calculate, and you might be astonished to see how bad some of theses zooms actually are! (Hint: I'm not talking about the Minolta 35-105mm [16L] here ...)

Stephan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
In the mean time, quite a few other 35-105m lenses have joined my little collection, e. g. the Nikkor AiS 3.5-4.5/35-105mm, and the corresponding Pentax A 35-105mm. Midrange zooms are notoriously difficult to calculate, and you might be astonished to see how bad some of theses zooms actually are! (Hint: I'm not talking about the Minolta 35-105mm [16L] here ...)

Thank you, Stephan.
It looks so. I expected a little miracle but got a hard reality ))
If you confirm that the results of my tested copy are close to what you got earlier with your lens - then I can stop to worry

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tf wrote:
stevemark wrote:

Thank you, Stephan.
If you confirm that the results of my tested copy are close to what you got earlier with your lens - then I can stop to worry

I'll quickly compare the MD-III 35-105mm [14L], the MD-III 35-105mm [16L], the Olympus 35-105mm, and the Nikkor 35-105mm tomorrow, along with the MD-II 50-135mm (as a reference, so that you can see the difference).

Stephan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eager to read the outcome.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tf wrote:
stevemark wrote:

Thank you, Stephan.

I did a quick-and-dirty comparison this morning (MD-II 50-135mm vs MD-III 35-135mm [14L] @ 50mm wide open). The overall quality of both lenses is very similar (though not identical). This might indicate some problems with your MD 3.5-4.5/35-105mm. I'll post some corner crops this evening when i'm back home.

S

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Results of the MD-III 35-105 [14L] compared to other vintage 35-105mm lenses can be found here:

http://forum.mflenses.com/eight-vintage-mf-35-105mm-zooms-compared-t81203.html

S

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I promised to do it five years ago... So... Better late than never ))

Is anyone else interested in such lenses in the 22nd year? Ha-ha

(review is long and heavy for browsers - because of three focal distances at once)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I see it this way. There's the interest in owning a lens, but also a different kind of interest more related to curiosity (which sometimes develops into something more). I don't think this zoom is for me, but I've enjoyed seeing your new tests, it's nice having comparisons of different lenses tested under similar conditions, so I really appreciate your blog. Seeing what an underdog can do is always a good fun. Keep 'em coming! I was happy to see some new entries, since I check the homepage out from time to time.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Dejan )))
(I already have about 10-15 more lenses that I planned to test, then there will probably be something else interesting. Also, I would like to remake some old articles to improve the visuals. I don't plan to stop working on the site, it's just worth taking breaks sometimes, it's just a hobby)