Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MC Rokkor PF 58mm f1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Minolta MC Rokkor PF 58mm f1.4 Reply with quote

Another day, another fast 50. This lens spent about 1.5 years on my shelf waiting for its turn. I thought it's a bit too heavy and being used to 50mm, I wasn't very comfortable with the focal length on my E-PL1. So today I was really getting to know it for the first time. Strangely, in the field it didn't feel heavy at all Smile Here are the pictures, all shots with E-PL1.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks quite average, but that could be the camera, some lenses perform better on some cameras than others.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol. If something is not right, more likely the culprit is the weak link behind the camera, as the camera proved itself quite capable on a number of occasions.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks quite OK to me, like the colors.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTI wrote:
Looks quite OK to me, like the colors.

+1 lovely Minolta colors

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots, very beautiful gardens you have access to there.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks. We've finally got a bit of nice weather and the whole city was in this park, it's beautiful there indeed. As for the lens, I quite liked it, remains to be seen whether it will become one of my favorites or not as I have quite a few good 50's. Of course, I am easy to please, Ian on the other hand has only stunning lenses, so his standards are higher Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have many 58mm f1.4 to compare, but 2 different copies (6-blades and 8-blades), and a Voigtlander. This lens is very ok.
It is soft wide open, a kind of glowing, but still sharp. Depends on the light condition, the results can be very good to good.
There are other lenses that are lighter and smaller if I need to step down. My use of this lens is mainly wide open.

A better lens is the newer Voigtlander 58/1.4 - better contrast and sharper at f1.4.

Wide open, 6-blades copy, with nex5n, PP: slightly increase black level.

Last edited by hoanpham on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pics. Minolta's colors. But the 1,4 reputation never was high like the pg 1,2 or pg 1,4. Anyways, your images are nice.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rino,
I also have the PG 1.4, but no 1.2 to see the different.
My tests of the PF 1.4s gave good results of both lenses, even wide open.
I might like the bokeh of PF 1.4 better than the Voigtlander.

Here are another samples from the 8-blades copy, using nex5n, ev+0.7 on camera, PP: slightly increase black level.

#A

Last edited by hoanpham on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PP always make difference and require on most old lens like this, great captures ! With proper PP it will be nice , clear , bright just like top lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non PP are not bad either, but of course a bit PP gives the best look.
As other has stated, the lens is about average, nothing stand out spetacular.
That does not mean that it is not good. I read alot negative about it so i want to try out mine.
No need to trash them Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My eye catches #4 of the original set, the blanket is rendered just like vintage film with motion blur yet the eye is tack sharp. Nice series with a decent lens

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a film camera it's not my sharpest f1.4 lens, and would use it more for it's other qualities but 58mm is odd (I prefer around 40/45mm) and it's sooo heavy.

I've posted this crop before. Minolta PF 58mm f1.4 on film

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with people saying that it's not super sharp lens and it is indeed heavy. However, "average" in British culture usually means "crap" and this is not so. It's a quality lens, the sharpness is average in a true sense of the word, i.e. I have sharper lenses, but there are many softer ones. Wait, this would probably be above average then. No matter the terminology, overall the sharpness is good enough and rendering is lovely IMHO.

Excalibur, love the girl portrait, the colors just pop.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
I agree with people saying that it's not super sharp lens and it is indeed heavy. However, "average" in British culture usually means "crap" and this is not so. It's a quality lens, the sharpness is average in a true sense of the word, i.e. I have sharper lenses, but there are many softer ones. Wait, this would probably be above average then. No matter the terminology, overall the sharpness is good enough and rendering is lovely IMHO.

Excalibur, love the girl portrait, the colors just pop.

Thanks and you have probably noticed (the same as me) that this lens needs a hood to prevent/reduce flare.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've shot with no hood, didn't have any flare problems, but maybe I was just lucky. With big exposed front element and old coatings, hood is probably a good idea. I have 55/52 step-down ring on it, maybe it helps somewhat to shield the front element.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
Well, I've shot with no hood, didn't have any flare problems, but maybe I was just lucky. With big exposed front element and old coatings, hood is probably a good idea. I have 55/52 step-down ring on it, maybe it helps somewhat to shield the front element.

It would seem with the "Helios mania" the Helios 58mm f2 is preferred to the Minolta 58mm f1.4 Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't surprise me if a good copy if the Helios is slighty better than the Minolta at f2. Certainly cheaper. I have a Helios 44-2 that is fantastic, better than all the other copies I've tried, it compares very favourably to tings like the Hexanon 1.7/50 and is better than my 1950s CZJ Biotar T. Not all copies of the Helios are that good though, but they can be found.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in my opinion Helios is no match for this lens, I loved it on my nex-5. I liked too much I guess... converted it to Sony alpha mount, here's a shot take with my a77 @f2. (It's soft wide open, but becomes quite sharp @f2 already)

[img]http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20127/4495_DSC03925_DxO_1[/img]

Last edited by RTI on Sat May 17, 2014 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that portrait. Into the sensor's time, it's difficult to determinate what "average" means, almost all lens produce very good image. The same lens can give better rendering than with film in the consumer use. The desaturated color of the rokkor 58pf 1,4 are nice for portraits. Some pros should not use any pp to the ut supra portraits.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few of this lens, and depending on the age, the coatings are different. This can give you quite a variation in contrast. I'll see if I can take some photos of these lenses to show what I mean. Two that I've tested have a different amount of sharpness. One is super sharp, and the other is onlyreasonably sharp, but not more than other lenses. There's also no CA.

I've noticed, however, that when used is high light contrast situations (e.g. concert with strong lighting) that the lens show what looks like a coma halo. I've only noticed it in these conditions however.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple more:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful. I like #1 BW most of two.