Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MC 85mm/F1.7 vs. AF 85mm/F1.4 on Sony A7R II
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Minolta MC 85mm/F1.7 vs. AF 85mm/F1.4 on Sony A7R II Reply with quote

First comparison on my A7R II FF high resolution camera. Focus was set manually to exactly the same point. Tripod and indirect flash was used.

Both lenses used fully open and pictures haven't been manipulated. Just downsized for presentation.
Despite of different versions and outer modifications all versions of both lenses are optically identically, i.e. there is no difference in performance betw. MC versions II and III. Same is true for the 3 different AF versions.
The MC II 85/1.7 was introduced 1970 as 6/5 construction and the AF 85/1.4 lens 1987 as 7/6 construction (discontinued after the Sony take-over).

Minolta MC Rokkor-PF 85mm/F1.7 (Version MC II)

Minolta AF 85mm/F1.4 (first version in full metal)

Verdict:
IMHO both lenses are excellent performers already wide open and the only way to distinguish them is the slightly shallower DOF on the faster AF lens.
The characteristics are quite similar, optimized for portrait shooting. IMHO the bokeh of the older MC lens is even a tack softer.
I definitely need no other 85mm lens, I should sell all others. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They both have a similar optical layout. The MC Bokeh is a bit smoother and detail has a lower microcontrast. Also the MC seems to have a bit of field curvature in the part where the focus transitions, the MC shows the leafs and stem more in focus with lower contrast. With the right post-processing, I'm sure the images would be indistinguishable.

The MC 85/1.7, MC 100/2.5, MD 85/2 have some similarities in the optical layout, while the MC 100/2 is similar to the early MC 135mm F2.8.
I guess then that the 100/2 should perform a bit worse than the newer lenses in all respects except for the bokeh.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! How would this compare with Sony modern lenses?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antoine wrote:
Excellent! How would this compare with Sony modern lenses?

According Stephan from Artaphot the Sony/Zeiss successor delivers similar performance in terms of sharpness and contrast like the Minolta AF lens. Only in terms of coma and purple fringing the Sony lens seems to perform slightly better; i.e. same performance on stop faster in comparison.

Anyway, for me they Minolta ones are good enough as I don't plan any nightly street shootings at F1.4 or F1.7 with these lenses and I didn't notice any purple fringing to a really disturbing extent.

Here are some older examples, typically portraits from my dog:

MC 85/1.7 fully open:

AF 85/1.4 fully open:

AF 85/1.4 at F2.0:

AF 85/1.4 at F2.0 same as before slightly modified during PP and converted to B/W; this version is the source for a large and IMHO very nice poster in 75 x 50 cm:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Beautiful pictures indeed. Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the two-tone version, Thomas.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the compliments, gentlemen.