Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta Enlarger as a macro lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Minolta Enlarger as a macro lens? Reply with quote

Is it a good cheap option on a bellow?
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50mm is maybe small on bellows except if you want 1:1 or more
with 105 you can reach infinity
try a normal 135mm to see if you like bellow then buy some good lenses from rodagon or nikon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
50mm is maybe small on bellows except if you want 1:1 or more
with 105 you can reach infinity
try a normal 135mm to see if you like bellow then buy some good lenses from rodagon or nikon

+1 ...

I would start with at least an 80mm ... Then, if you like the bellows + enlarger lens solution, be prepared for some LBA and take a look at the Schneider Apo Componon lenses Twisted Evil ...

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+2

Rodagon, Componon and el-nikkor are all very good. Anything with "apo" in it is going to be more expensive. Easily the best way to get quality macro capability if you don't mind using the bellows

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These images are shot with an enlarging lens.

Last edited by jjphoto on Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anybody using enlarging lens on macro-focusing helicoid ring?

I'm thinking a 75mm enlarging lens on 17mm-at-minimum focus ring for EF plus 14mm extension tube allows infinity focus! (75-44-17=14) How much closer focus depends on helicoid travel.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually trying to mod an Helios 44, removing the glass and fitting an M39 ring on its filter thread ...

Will post pictures if i succeed ...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Minolta enlarger lenses are quite good and can be well used. Fujinon enlarger lenses are neglected but very sharp and dirts cheap usually. Same with Cooke Ental II types (but watch for browning of lenses). Schneider Componons, Rodenstock Rodagons ... all very good and useful for Macro work on bellows (or focusing helicoid).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I use bellows and focusing helicoid (thank you klaus!). I have about 10 enlarging lenses from 50 - 150mm. Could not afford an APO, but I find the "standard" rodagon, el-nikkor and componon-S are extremely good. I do find the bellows somewhat easier to acquire accurate focus, but the helicoid is definitely a lot less cumbersome.

patrickh