Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta *50mm Bokeh Compared
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Minolta *50mm Bokeh Compared Reply with quote

I was inspired to do my own test as in my usage I had replaced the MC-I 58/1.4 with the MC-X 50/1.4 believing it to be much sharper and with better coatings. My first lens was actually an MC-II 55/1.7 which I noticed immediately had a smooth bokeh while being sharp stopped down. Lastly I have the Super Rokkor 5cm F1.8 for Leica Thread Mount.
The camera was focused roughly using focus peaking, around 1.2m/4ft on the centre post for each lens. It's shot at an oblique angle as a tree would otherwise obstruct the interesting background, and cheap Chinese adapters (which do not sit flush) were used which explains why some lenses are inconsistently only sharp on one side of the fence.
In my opinion the centre focus is enough to draw conclusions however this isn't the focus of this test, and with a 2x crop on 16MP, the lenses are really pushed beyond their limit.
Having said that, with the full resolution files I make the following judgements.

-------

The 58/1.4 is perhaps a bit sharper than the 55/1.7 in the centre, but does also have a lot more CA. (Focus seems to be on a different paling for each). It's clear that the bokeh is very smooth wide open, without a bright edge. At F2, the 58/1.4 gains a bit of microcontrast but CA is exacerbated further. Bokeh becomes as smooth as the 1.7 but is in fact slightly larger owing to to the 58 being closer to 60mm in true FL.
The slightly curved aperture blades make for round-enough bokeh at F2, as well. Moreso, it's the orientation of the aperture blades with the corners vertical, such that horizontal details in the background just blend better. For example, the venting on the digger is still less defined at F2.8 on the 58mm compared to the MC 50/1.4 at F2!
Detail and contrast for the 58 and 55 are about the same at F2.8. Bokeh is just slightly better on the 1.4 still.

The centre detail between 58mm and MC 50mm is difficult to judge as the lighting is different. If the MC 50mm does have one major flaw, it is the amount of veiling flare wide open compared to most other Minolta lenses. Just take some images of the stars with it and you will see what I mean. Wink
The bokeh of the 50mm definitely has harder edges and more CA, however lateral CA is very well controlled and is only beginning to be apparent at F2.8, however by this time the image is much sharper than the 58/1.4. Despite being in the shade, it actually manages to turn out more micro-contrast on the timber and less veiling flare (edge/global contrast).

Lastly, the Super Rokkor 5cm F1.8. This lens is quite sharp wide open with good contrast similar to the earlier Rokkors, as it is multicoated, but when the subject is not well-lit, resolution falls dramatically. Even though the paling is shaded more compared to the 55/1.7, detail is not very impressive. Don't bother going outside of the centre with a lens this old, too, there's nothing good to see.
However, edge contrast is good and there seems to be a touch less CA. The next aperture stop on this lens is F2, and now the centre micro-contrast has already improved and edges are even better. At F2 the hard edges are mostly gone from the bokeh and it is slightly nicer than the 50/1.4 at F2. The global contrast is also a bit better than the 55mm despite much older coatings. Wide open, it just has less bokeh fringing than the 50/1.4.

These are all great lenses, but they do have their differences. If you want a compromise between all of them then the 55/1.7 is the best value. Not only is it very cheap, but it's lightweight and compact.
It is told that the MC-II 58/1.4 performs even better than the MC-I, but I've not seen any examples. The MC-I does have some weird field curvature/astigmatism issues when stopped down around F5.6 at short to medium distances and the coatings cannot handle reflections in high contrast scenes, leading to a very fuzzy look over details. Those were the main reasons I stopped using it, but it's circumstantial. It may have just been vibration from the mirror as one of my SRTs works quite violently. Razz
I still made nice portraits with the 58/1.4 and the hard edges of the bokeh are not always a problem depending on the background, particularly if you're shooting in black and white.

(Click image for full resolution)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" Super Rokkor 5cm F1.8. This lens is quite sharp wide open with good contrast similar to the earlier Rokkors, as it is multicoated, "

I recently picked up the 5cm F1.8 in Leica mount, it is a single-coated lens. It has higher contrast that the earlier 5cm F2, but most likely through the use of newer glass and optical formula. The 5cm F2 is unusual in that it uses the same optical configuration of the Leica Summitar, 7 elements in 4 groups.

I converted my Minolta MC 501/.4 to Leica mount. I need to do a comparison with the native Leica mount lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 55/1.7 holds up to its promise. It really produces very pleasing bokeh.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add that these images were shot in RAW, and the only edit was to set the white balance to the same value for all. And, a hood was used on each lens. In terms of flare and contrast control, the Super Rokkor performs much closer to the MC 50mm than the MC 58 or 55. However many layers they used, it is very effective on this particular lens.

fiftyonepointsix wrote:
" Super Rokkor 5cm F1.8. This lens is quite sharp wide open with good contrast similar to the earlier Rokkors, as it is multicoated, "

I recently picked up the 5cm F1.8 in Leica mount, it is a single-coated lens. It has higher contrast that the earlier 5cm F2, but most likely through the use of newer glass and optical formula.

The 5cm F1.8 was the first multicoated lens produced. The Minolta literature from 1958 claims that this lens uses their patented Achromatic Coating. On my lens I can see at least the 1st element has a purple reflection on the front surface, while the next 5 surfaces are the same peach/orange. Looking from the rear, the rearmost surface also appears purple/pink while the elements behind reflect orange, but upon careful examination, it's noticed that the coating of the rear 3 elements is really the same, and depends upon the incidence angle/polarisation of the reflection.

Single-coated lenses are usually always a single colour in the reflections, a blue or purple, as they are optimised to transmit around the green spectrum and reflect red and blue. I have a post-war coated Zeiss Tessar and much older Agfa Solinar that I have compared it to, as well as a cheap Tokina-made 350mm, and these all clearly show the same coating on each surface.

...now for some theory to help explain what Achromatic Coating is...

In a multilayer coating you need the lowest index of refraction on the outermost layer, so common combinations for 2-layer coatings are: Magnesium Difluoride (Mg F2) or Silicon Dioxide (Si O2) followed by Dialuminium Trioxide (aka Aluminium Oxide, Al2 O3) - sometimes mixed with Titanium oxides or Magnesium Oxide (Mg O).
The selected chemicals and their thickness depend upon the index of refraction of the glass lens and the preceding layer, and different thicknesses, but the top layer Mg F2 is usually 1/4 design-wavelength in thickness. It is also quite hard (scratch resistant) but the surface is therefore uneven so it is limited to one application. The first layer on the glass must also have a refractive index most different to the glass. So you as you see, the coating depends on the glass used or even vice-versa - if the company has only developed one specific type of coating then they are limited to using certain optical constructions if they wish to use that multilayer coating on each element.

What Minolta probably meant by 'Achromatic Coating' is that it is optimised to transmit 2 preferred wavelengths while suppressing what is in between. By adjusting the layer thickness they can also control the colour balance of the image as it is the thickness that determines the amount of destructive interference when the light shifts out of phase.
This was the so-called 'Minolta colours', referring to colour balance consistency over their whole range of SR lenses, and the elimination of the need for colour correction filters that were typical years before. (Occasionally you can find complete sets of colour correction filters in display cases in auction.)

Once more than 3 layers are added, it becomes difficult to measure the precise thickness of additional layers during the production process (it's measured by interference, optically) hence Nikon claiming that no more than 5 layers were physically possible, after Pentax paid big money to buy out the machinery and patents of OCLI's 7-layer SMC.

fiftyonepointsix wrote:

The 5cm F2 is unusual in that it uses the same optical configuration of the Leica Summitar, 7 elements in 4 groups.

Basically the same, but the Minolta is in 6 groups with the first 2 lens pairs are separate.

fiftyonepointsix wrote:

I converted my Minolta MC 501/.4 to Leica mount. I need to do a comparison with the native Leica mount lenses.

It would be interesting to see, likewise with the 5cm F2 and the Summitar, uncoated and coated, to see how much of a difference the cemented groups make.
Purely from the point of price, a contemporary Leica should best a contemporary Japanese lens, if only by a small margin - exceptions here and there. Both companies were well and truly using Computer Aided Design by 1970.

Did you convert it to R-mount or M-mount?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

y wrote:
The 55/1.7 holds up to its promise. It really produces very pleasing bokeh.

Yes! I preferred the 58/1.4 but I haven't been able to bring myself to sell the 55. It's a very popular portrait lens for APS-C cameras. With the lower pixel density compared to m4/3, it would even appear to be sharper.

Both lenses are now very popular on the Fuji GFX medium format camera since the image circle covers the format, and of course depth of field is even more shallow.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I converted the 50/1.4 MC to RF coupled M-Mount, made a coupling and use a Minolta-Leica adapter. RF Coupled Focus is down to 0.65m.

I've seen the 5cm F2 referred to as a 7/4, and have noted that some lenses such as the Nikkor 5.8cm F1.4 considered air-spaced elements as a group. Take the lens apart, and they are clearly not cemented groups. I did not know the front elements of the 5cm F2 were air-spaced. I have a 5/4 Xenar, discovered only when taking part. Also converted to Leica M mount.

Pentax is generally credited with having the first multi-coated consumer lenses, Nikon started in 1969 with multi-coating the rear elements of the 55/1.2 Nikkor-S. Looking at the 5cm F1.8: the color of the reflections of the coatings used on the front elements are different from the rear, which would be used to balance color rendition. The scheme is the same as the 50/1.4 lens, much later vintage- but still single-coated (Single-Layer coating). The amount of light being reflected seems more consistent with single coated optics. Compared with the SMC Pentax 55/1.7, the reflections of the Minolta 5cm F1.8 are brighter.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiftyonepointsix wrote:
I converted the 50/1.4 MC to RF coupled M-Mount, made a coupling and use a Minolta-Leica adapter. RF Coupled Focus is down to 0.65m.

That's a nice combination! I take it you're a machinist?

fiftyonepointsix wrote:
I've seen the 5cm F2 referred to as a 7/4, and have noted that some lenses such as the Nikkor 5.8cm F1.4 considered air-spaced elements as a group. Take the lens apart, and they are clearly not cemented groups. I did not know the front elements of the 5cm F2 were air-spaced. I have a 5/4 Xenar, discovered only when taking part. Also converted to Leica M mount.

Forum member 'tf' has the optical diagram although I'm not sure of his direct source, but I believe the originals can be found on some obscure Japanese website. Collector's have verified it, anyway. I have also seen some manufacturers refer to separated elements as single groups. They're just numbers though, and not important for the classification of the optical scheme. I had always assumed that lenses are better when pairs or triplets of elements can be cemented together, as this reduces the amount of air-glass interfaces improving transmission and contrast. Incorrect information can travel a long way too, and there are often mistakes in company literature with regards to specifications and sometimes as noted on Artaphot, they can use completely the wrong optical diagram for the lens.

fiftyonepointsix wrote:
Pentax is generally credited with having the first multi-coated consumer lenses, Nikon started in 1969 with multi-coating the rear elements of the 55/1.2 Nikkor-S. Looking at the 5cm F1.8: the color of the reflections of the coatings used on the front elements are different from the rear, which would be used to balance color rendition. The scheme is the same as the 50/1.4 lens, much later vintage- but still single-coated (Single-Layer coating). The amount of light being reflected seems more consistent with single coated optics. Compared with the SMC Pentax 55/1.7, the reflections of the Minolta 5cm F1.8 are brighter.

Multicoating simply means at least 2 layers. Pentax' 1971 SMC is 7 layers but Fujinon's 11-layer EBC was first used in 1964 on cinema lenses. Pentax is credited that way because the company itself continues to claim that it's the case.
I can assure you, every lensmaker worth their dime was using at least 2-3 layers before 1970. There are many patents out there published from the late 1930's regarding coatings and thin-films. The earliest proper multicoating claim I can find is from 1943-12-23, RCA CORP: Achromatic light reflecting and transmitting film. At that moment, the patent is still within regards to coating flat substrates, particularly discussing mirrors.

It's not possible to control the colour transmission and reflectivity using single layers on different lens elements. It is only through multiple layers on a single surface. They change the thickness of each layer to adjust the refractive index of the layer and thus the other properties. My MC 100/2 clearly uses the older achromatic coating which is contemporary to the SR lenses contrary to most that I've seen online which have the green reflection in the front coating. The coating is the same as what is on my Super Rokkor.
Even here, though without citation, it is written "The company introduced another breakthrough, the achromatic double-coated lens, in 1956, giving the company entry into the European market beginning late in 1957." However the Super Rokkor 1.8 is the only lens to feature the coating, and only appeared in 1958 with the introduction of the Minolta 35 Model IIB.

Here Minolta takes out a patent in 1972 for a 5-layer coating. They made a seperate application for 4-layer coatings with novel differences. This coincides with the release of the first MC-X high-performance lenses, which clearly have an advantage in coating over the earlier MC Rokkors.
From Konica Corp there is a 1972 pat. for up to 5 layers. There is a 1973 patent from Canon for a 3-layer coating on glass plate. Nikon also claimed in 1969 a 3-layer AR coating.
Nikon filed in 1977 for up a 9 layer process which eliminated interlayer scattering caused by ion diffusion and tarnish/oxidisation of the glass surface.
Minolta applied for new patents in 1980 (around the introduction of MD-III lenses) and 1986 (shortly after the introduction of A-Mount) but these remain 4-layer coatings based on the first patent in 1972 with improvements.

I only found 2 patents from Asahi Optical/Pentax Corp relating to single or dual layer anti-reflection coatings on the inner cemented surface of cemented lens elements. They are remarkably absent, because they bought SMC from OCLI, who's patents are frequently cited by the other companies. There are also plenty of German and American multilayer AR coating patents which predate any of the Japanese ones.

Even Hoya had made many of their own patents relating to filters, and they are generally understood to have offered their own competitive multicoating for third-party lenses and contract production too: HMC. In fact, you can buy Hoya filters today labelled HMC 'Super Multi Coating' but they actually mean Super HMC. Besides, my Hoya SMC Polariser is actually made under trademark licence by Kenko Tokina Co., Ltd.
Funny, how things have changed.

Now, I am not familiar with lenses of other brands. I don't know what the coatings on those look like at all. Simply, Minolta had claimed for the first time in 1958 to have an Achromatic coating on their lens, and they made a point to advertise it as a major feature of the concurrent Minolta SR SLR lenses at that time. They also claim in their marketing that it was patented. They were after all the first Japanese optical company to produce single-coated lenses, so the claim of having 2-layer coatings 10 years later is not that extraordinary! Wink
Minolta had control over their entire research, development and production process - so they could afford to experiment.

Last edited by Teemō on Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teemō wrote:
Forum member 'tf' has the optical diagram although I'm not sure of his direct source, but I believe the originals can be found on some obscure Japanese website. Collector's have verified it, anyway.

Thanks for the mention, yes, this 'refurbishing' image on "lensqaworks" is based on little picture found on dead site, but it is confirmed by Andrea Apra (Minolta Collectors group) - image in his archives is from the same source. Usually it impossible to get such confirmation if even small chance to inaccuracy in data can be, so it's a good point to believe that this scheme is original.
Actually, all three presented on site Chiyoko/Chiyoda Kogaku ltm Super Rokkors 50mm lenses schemes are confirmed, and Chiyoko 85mm F2.8 too, review of this will be published soon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Care should be taken with the Super Rokkor 5cm f1.8 when installing/removing that you don't force the focus ring past it's stop as it will bend parts inside(the rails), ask me how I know.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tf wrote:

Actually, all three presented on site Chiyoko/Chiyoda Kogaku ltm Super Rokkors 50mm lenses schemes are confirmed, and Chiyoko 85mm F2.8 too, review of this will be published soon

Looking forward to that!

Lightshow wrote:
Care should be taken with the Super Rokkor 5cm f1.8 when installing/removing that you don't force the focus ring past it's stop as it will bend parts inside(the rails), ask me how I know.

Indeed, I believe I've read your advice already here or on RangefinderForum. It's brass, isn't it? Were you able to fix it?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing all the interesting info regarding the history of multi coatings!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Thanks for sharing all the interesting info regarding the history of multi coatings!

Well, this thread here wasn't exactly a beacon of facts. Idea

If anyone can share a production lens that was multicoated before 1958, I am happy for Minolta to have been blissfully unaware. Razz
Mind you, the improvement of a single coating over none is a lot more than a double coating over one! Still, it's nice to know that more colours will have good saturation and be overall more in balance.

I think flare-resistance has a lot more to do with the optical layout (shape of elements, cemented or separate), and internal construction finish (density of blackening, number of oblique surfaces at the front).
This Super Rokkor like (I'd guess) all lenses of the time has untreated aperture blades, so these will actually reflect into the image if you shoot directly into strong lights.

Last edited by Teemō on Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:52 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting!