Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

minolta 250 mirror
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies. I think there is something else besides compaction to justify such a price. I do not understand some aversion to donut bokeh. An important drawback seems to me a possible low resolution. I have a 50/1.2 lens and I'd like a same size tele lens.

Do you have other recommendations besides this Minolta lens with terrifying price? What price would be OK for such a mirror 250-350 lens (I can only use T or M42 mounts on Pentax crop)?

[quote="calvin83"]
Abbazz wrote:
edri wrote:
What is so special about the 250-350mm mirror lenses? They have high prices for what?

They are particularly well suited to the crop format cameras. The usual 500mm mirror lenses are difficult to use on an APS-C sensor because their field of view is very narrow due to the crop factor. The 250-350 lenses are much more practical and can be used handheld thanks to their shorter focal length and faster aperture. My Tamron 350mm mirror lens frames just like its big 500mm brother when used on a crop format camera but it's faster, smaller and lighter.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For FF camera, the best will be Minolta 250, Tamron 350/Rubinar 300. Or you could read through the following thread
http://forum.mflenses.com/whats-the-second-best-tiny-mirror-lens-t66119.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the 250 has any resolution issues.

Just went outside and took a photo of the first cat i could see, Sony A3000 20.1MP, straight jpg from cam, nothing altered, and a crop of the same shot. They're large, so if you click on them you can see what it can do!
Always remember: they do not have an aperture, so it's always f/5.6 and according depth of field. This can be a challenge when focussing!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. I noted Spiratone. For now there is nothing on ebay. Shocked

calvin83 wrote:
For FF camera, the best will be Minolta 250, Tamron 350/Rubinar 300. Or you could read through the following thread
http://forum.mflenses.com/whats-the-second-best-tiny-mirror-lens-t66119.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right. I think of some cheap 500/8 lenses.

TrueLoveOne wrote:
I don't think the 250 has any resolution issues.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this moment the best priced offers are Osawa and Ohnar 300 / 5.6 mirror lenses.
Do you know something about this lenses?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are three types of Japanese 300 / 5.6 mirror lenses. The Spiratone type is 72mm and the others two types are 67mm. The Makinon type has MC coating and can focus down to 1:4 but shorter focus throw. The Osawa/Ohnar and the others does not have MC coating, they can only focus to 2.5M but with a longer focus throw. The Makinon type seems have better flare resistant than the other two type. There is also a Soligor CD 300/5.6 Mirror Click here to see on Ebay I forget to mention. It seems the Soligor has MC coating at the front and it may be just the same lens as the Spiratone 72mm(I am not sure).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the Makinon 400mm mirror lens awful and the Ohnar 300mm lens slightly better, although low resolution. All types I've tried have been low contrast other than the Tamron SP 350/5.6 (very good) and the Rubinar 300/4.5 (outstanding).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
There are three types of Japanese 300 / 5.6 mirror lenses. The Spiratone type is 72mm and the others two types are 67mm. The Makinon type has MC coating and can focus down to 1:4 but shorter focus throw. The Osawa/Ohnar and the others does not have MC coating, they can only focus to 2.5M but with a longer focus throw. The Makinon type seems have better flare resistant than the other two type. There is also a Soligor CD 300/5.6 Mirror Click here to see on Ebay I forget to mention. It seems the Soligor has MC coating at the front and it may be just the same lens as the Spiratone 72mm(I am not sure).

The Soligor C/D is a 67mm filter size lens

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

The Soligor C/D is a 67mm filter size lens

Yes. There are two types of Soligor C/D. The one in your photo is same type as the Osawa/Ohnar mentioned by edri. The one sold by kevincameras Click here to see on Ebay has 72mm filter.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So in conclusion, 72mm diameter lenses are better optically than 67mm diameter lenses? But losing the advantage of compactness?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't draw a conclusion by filter size like that.

I have a few mirror lenses: this minolta, tamron 55BB and canon fd.
They all good but with different properties:
minolta: very compact and light, last to go. no problem to use with sony a7r 36Mpix.
tamron: 500/8 is very good for close range, but focus throw is too short in long range that makes it hard to use (adaptall2)
canon fd: 500/8 better focus throw in mid-long range, biggest and heaviest of the mirror lenses i have.

tamron with TCx2 like 01F or 200F becomes 1000mm still usable; resolution is a bit washed out with TC.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edri wrote:
So in conclusion, 72mm diameter lenses are better optically than 67mm diameter lenses? But losing the advantage of compactness?

No. It is the design that matters.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: minolta 250 Reply with quote

For that design matters.

paulhofseth wrote:
the small Minolta 250 is fine. Compact and does what it promoises to do.

If you are buying, do remember to get it with the clear glass rear filter in place-. The other filters are nice to have, but one must be there in order for it to work properly.

p.

Very useful information for me. After reading this post I remembered that I have read something similar in a book, but I quickly passed over it. Now I found the paragraph: "... that mirror lenses are normally designed to be used with rear filters, and they must have a filter in the light path, even it is only a clear UV filter ... what is really inconvenient is if you buy a second-hand lens and the filters are not supplied... "

I had a lens which I considered mediocre, the Makinon 500/8. I used it without a filter. I mount the rear 1A filter, thrown somewhere in the closet, until today. After a few handheld test shots, surprise, I found that my mediocre lens has become a good lens Smile. Pictures are much clearer than without filter.

Why? What is the explanation that for mirror lenses the rear filter must be mounted?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: rear filter Reply with quote

This is a similar effect as with lots of glass in front of a digital sensor. Light rays crossing from one medium to another get bent. So a design made to correct for a glass mounted at the rear of the lens will have a different performance when those two transitions -in and out of the filter- are absent. The size of the effect will depend on the entry angles concerned and the refraction and dispersion qualities of the glass, even if the surfaces to be crossed are perfectly plane parallell.

I have not tried the Minolta without the rear filter, so I do not know how significant it is. I do not have the original documentation to hand right now, but a paraphase from memory is that "the filters that came with it should be used at all times to avoid image deterioration".

p.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting. A lens that I do not enjoy using it starts to become a new favorite Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience is that all the mirror lens I tried have no negative impact without the rear filter and many of them does work better without the the rear filter. If you want to know more, read through the first page of this thread http://forum.mflenses.com/sensor-stack-size-interesting-reading-for-legacy-lens-users-t66629.html .

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe for expensive lenses as you have this effect is not obvious and it is observable for ordinary lenses.

Anything else about mirror lenses from the same "The lens book" :

"... typically the effective aperture of a mirror lens is a stop less than the marked aperture: f/11 for f/8; f16 for f11."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edri wrote:

Anything else about mirror lenses from the same "The lens book" :

"... typically the effective aperture of a mirror lens is a stop less than the marked aperture: f/11 for f/8; f16 for f11."

and the main caused for lost of light is the blockage on the secondary mirror.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have the ND filter.
As far as i recall i used it without, you're right about the filter. I just checked on this site: http://www.minoltaflashback.com/rf-lens.html They say the lens cannot be focussed correctly without a rear element, be it a normal filter or any other.

But i dont think it matters that much though, at least not on digital, look at this shot:

Red (RF Rokkor 250) by René Maly, on Flickr

To be absolutely sure i would have to test it again, without any element in it. The cat pic in this topic was shot with the ND filter.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Makinon 300 mm f/5.6 Reflex Mirror for MC/MD with 67 mm filter thread and it was the worst lens I've seen so far. Sharpness was incredibly low and focus peaking on the NEX never showed anything.

Using a RF Rokkor 250 mm, now. Worlds apart! Sharpness is close to a Tele Rokkor 200 f/4, low distortion and zero CAs (after all, it's a mirror lens). Actual T-stop isn't that bad, either: Should be around T7.0 according to my calculations. But as it has been said before: hard to focus because of the shallow DOF.

For comparison:
Test of the RF 250 mm f/5.6
Test of the MD 200 mm f/4

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VLR: nice website!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tested my Minolta 250/5.6

Basic adjustments made in Aperture. Shot handheld with Sony NEX-7 in RAW. ISO 400 and 1/640.

No donuts when used properly or lots of donuts if you like that sort of thing. Incredible reach and sharpness for a lens so small. No CA.

100% crop