Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Micro Nikkor 55/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:03 am    Post subject: Micro Nikkor 55/2.8 Reply with quote

When it really comes down to it, I must admit that this lens is my favorite in the 50mm range.
It's the sharpest wide open of all my 50's and an amazing performer.

Wide open @ 2.8.

100% crop of above.

The images below are all hand held, no extension tubes. Shot on a Canon 30D.

Best $30 I ever spent.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the cyclops shriveled tomato Very Happy $30 wow that is a bargain....I wish I had another camera as well as my Pentax K200D just to try some of these beautiful lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For $30 this lens was a steal!

Kram wrote:

Very nice color composition and bokeh, it would look even better printed large.

The 55/2.8 Micro-Nikkor is indeed an inexpensive gem, which at f/2.8 delivers better than most (ie. not all) Nikkor 50-58mm lenses (though with some vignetting). If detail center to corners and CA is the measure point only a few Nikkor 50's can equal or better it at f/2.8, but when you add the fact that the macro lens is free of distortion it is the overall winner.

The 55/2.8 has nice bokeh and is great at close-up obviously, but for medium to infinity focusing distances the choice among Nikkors is larger: 50/1.8 Ai-S, 50/1.4F, 50/1.4 Ai, 50/1.4G AF-S and 50/1.2 Ai-s all deliver same or better, though that comes with some geometric distortion but lack of vignetting at f/2.8

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow ... Shocked Shocked Shocked
all of them are fantastic shot from a great lens

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beatuiful pictures, really a pleasure. I like the blueberries best (blue berries, to be exact Rolling Eyes).

The wider aperture obviously really is an advantage over the older F3.5 version of this lens which I own. Normally, I prefer the F3,5, because it is perfect also when focused to infinity, but these examples really justify the F2,8 version.
The Bokeh is simply wonderful.

But isn't it interesting that it is clearly a typical Nikkor family member? I'm wondering what it is. The colours, yes, but also something else. What do you think?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fingerprint is very "Micro-Nikkorish" Laughing I agree.

The 55/2.8 and 55/3.5 are very very popular lenses of their time, about 1.2 million in total manufactured of those two. Hence they have played a big part in creating the what people perceive as Nikon colours and fingerprint.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also one of my favorite lenses, for close-up and other work!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo, thanks, it's actually a rose hip.

Esox, thanks very much. I hope to make some large prints of my color floral work one day. You make some good points about Nikkor 50's.

kopimorning, thank you. I try!

BenediktW, thanks. I spent over 20 years shooting only Nikon glass. So much that I can't put my finger on the characteristics as they all seem normal to me- if that makes any sense.

gaeger, love the "starburst" on the raindrop. Snow image is nice too.

I owned the 3.5 before getting the 2.8. Both are great but the speed comes in handy.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it so much I did a portrait...

with something even sharper..

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:
I like it so much I did a portrait...

with something even sharper..

I had to pay 70USD for mine, but well worth it. This nikon has one of the best values (along with the 3.5) of all the nikkors.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is actually better than the 60/2.8 which costs 10x as much

patrickh