Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MF vs AF
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wuxiekeji wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:
asterinex wrote:

* I focus where I want to focus

I have a much better keep-rate with AF lenses. It may be down to one's system, but I probably nail focus better than 99% of the time with AF

I guess to each is own. I have a much better keep-rate with MF lenses because the AF never focuses where I want it to focus. But that's because almost everything I shoot has various creative unorthodox compositions that the AF isn't going to help much with. I can also focus a razor-thin DOF f/1.4 lens better than my AF can, but I guess it took a lot of practice before I got there. When shooting portraits I'm very careful about what I focus on (eyeglasses, eyebrows, necktie, ears ...) to create the illusion of an even sharper image whereas the AF is just going to focus any random place on the face and that's worthless. MF is also great for street shots because you can pre-focus to where the action is going to be, and just shoot.

I`m with Martin. Very happy with my AF lenses. L lenses to be clear. I bolded that sentence because what happens to you when using AF lenses it happens for 2 reasons: using cheap AF lenses and/or poor technique.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, not exactly... most AF systems will focus on the nearest object in the part of the frame where you point your camera at.
It's also a question of the camera IQ and not the lens IQ.
Also, it can be partially solved by setting the specific focusing point in the camera settings, but that's only a partial and limited solution.
And thinking of it, it's half way to manual anyways Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AF and MF each have their place and benefits. I only use AF when the situation demands, such as fast moving or even if I don't want to take time focusing or changing lenses. When this is the case, I typically pick one zoom lens appropriate for the circumstances, however it is a rare occasion that occurs only a few times a year. The rest of the time I shoot manual primes and give myself whatever time I need to enjoy the experience. Why I do this is several reasons; I like being different; I like being old fashioned; I enjoy the challenge; I appreciate the control and return to thinking about what I'm doing - taking control from the camera; I love the characteristics of some lenses; can afford more lenses; and the quality of prime. I just love it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
AF and MF each have their place and benefits. I only use AF when the situation demands, such as fast moving or even if I don't want to take time focusing or changing lenses. When this is the case, I typically pick one zoom lens appropriate for the circumstances, however it is a rare occasion that occurs only a few times a year. The rest of the time I shoot manual primes and give myself whatever time I need to enjoy the experience. Why I do this is several reasons; I like being different; I like being old fashioned; I enjoy the challenge; I appreciate the control and return to thinking about what I'm doing - taking control from the camera; I love the characteristics of some lenses; can afford more lenses; and the quality of prime. I just love it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:

Yep, that about says it all really. Cool

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
what happens to you when using AF lenses it happens for 2 reasons: using cheap AF lenses and/or poor technique.

+1

My AF lenses focus where I expect them to. I'm not sure what the random focus problem that has been quoted is, but it sounds like a fault with that particular camera or user error.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use AF lenses for work all the time, but generally in Manual Focus so I can be sure of where they are focused. Horses for courses.