Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MF lenses for canon 500d/T1i
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: MF lenses for canon 500d/T1i Reply with quote

Hey all

my first visit to this forum - awesome wealth of info here!

I got an eos 500d recently and am looking to get some more lenses.

Currently own canon 18-5mm kit lens, as well as a canon 50mm 1.8 portrait lens.

What are some nice, affordable lenses to get in addition to those?

I'd like to get a fast super wide, perhaps a 35mm, and a telephoto, at least. for both still and video.

Any recommendations? thanks!!

J
London UK

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about video. For 35mm it is hard to go wrong with a Zeiss Flektogon f2.4. How long a telephoto do you want? The Sonnar 135 f3.5 is a cheap classic.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also take Jupiter-37 135/3.5 instead of the Sonnar. It's based on exactly the same optical design and Jupiter is 2-3 times cheaper.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
You can also take Jupiter-37 135/3.5 instead of the Sonnar. It's based on exactly the same optical design and Jupiter is 2-3 times cheaper.

Good recommendation! I only heard that the Jupiter coatings are soft, but I don't know if there is real truth in that!

Best not to clean too enthusiastically anyway Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have no need for low-light capable lens, check out the Contax Zeiss Vario-Sonnar 35-70/3.4. You will be amazed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeyore_nl: They are definately not the hardest, but there are about 6 version of Jupiter-37 and each has slightly different coating:

Jupiter-37A early (white lettering) - deep violet
Jupiter-37A later (colored lettering) - more reddish
Jupiter-37A MC-H-30 - quite rare, I've never seen it in real
Jupiter-37A MC - greenish
Jupiter-37AM - quite rare, I've never seen it
Jupiter-37AM MC - green + additional colors

So, quality of the layers changed in time for sure. I'd say the layers are not as soft, as early post-war coating, but softer, than e.g. Jena MC coating. Maybe comparable to Helios 44-2 lenses from seventies.